AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pLEASE HELP! When I Press Open I Get u61,Did ch^,stop nothing,

Sounds like its reading disk ,but wont open,also tried reset.

If there is not an easy fix ,what would you recomend for a replacement

I WANT TO RECORD A DISK FROM MY DIRECT TV DVR.

If someone can help THANKS.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon RX7 /forum/post/16102807

pLEASE HELP! When I Press Open I Get u61,Did ch^,stop nothing,

Sounds like its reading disk ,but wont open,also tried reset.

If there is not an easy fix ,what would you recomend for a replacement

I WANT TO RECORD A DISK FROM MY DIRECT TV DVR.

If someone can help THANKS.

The U61 error, common to other Panasonics, has been discussed in many earlier threads.

If your 2007 DMR-EZ47V model's DVD Drive is making loud "clunking" noises and displaying the U61 error the likely problem(s) are a dirty or failed lens in the DVD Drive, a problem with the Digital PCB or the ribbon cable or ribbon cable connections between the Digital PCB and the laser assembly in the DVD Drive.

The first remedy attempt is to gently clean the lens. Lens and rubber hub cleaning information, advice and photos are found in this and the following posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

If the lens and rubber hub cleaning does not correct the problem the other situations need to be investigated and addressed. If the laser assembly is found defective Panasonic's approved procedure is to replace the DVD Drive. (Panasonic does not approve of field replacement of the laser assembly.) If the Digital PCB is found defective Panasonic's approved procedure is to replace that board. These parts are expensive if purchased by the public through the Panasonic Service and Technology Company in Kent Washington, or by "authorized" repair shops:

RFKB79142DP DIGITAL PC BOARD $150.28

VXY1961 DVD DRIVE UNIT $355.58

Add shipping and labor and that becomes an expensive repair for a 2007 DMR-EZ47V.

Panasonic offers a $130 flat-rate repair through their corporate Panasonic Digital Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois. The flat-rate includes all the parts and labor to return a Panasonic to new functional condition. The flat-rate also includes return shipping. See this post for more detail:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14451738

DMR-EZ47V parts machines may be purchased on the secondary market. Digital PCBs may be swapped between the same model; DVD Drives may be swapped among models of the same model year. Used or parts machines may have the same problems as your EZ47. Read condition descriptions carefully.

Often “Refurbished By Panasonic” DMR-EZ48V (2008) models with a “Panasonic Refurbished Product Warranty” are offered on eBay by “Panasonic Authorized Dealers/Resellers.” These are usually priced less than $150, including shipping.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DigaDo, appreciate the help . Is there a more updated product out there for recording

from my direct tv dvr.(a better way)

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon RX7 /forum/post/16105148

DigaDo, appreciate the help . Is there a more updated product out there for recording

from my direct tv dvr.(a better way)

Try the cleaning procedures first.

Others will certainly offer their advice for recording from a Direct TV DVR.

·
Registered
11,602 Posts
If you can't get your EZ-47 going I think a tunerless EA-18 should work fine for what you want. The EZ-28 is similar but adds a tuner which also adds some to the flakiness. Personally I wouldn't suggest the EZ-48 which is the replacement for your model, just too many problems IMO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DigaDo,

Did the cleanning procedure ,it all looked good ,the medal sleeve on the left side of the lid was out of place , fitted it back in,got the disk out, put it back together made sure roller was on left side. Won"t open now,it says open ,close when i press button you can here it ,either i have something out of place ,or if something broke on the inside i dont

see it,

(I did run it a couple of times without the drive lid on.hope this didnt hurt anything,or myself)

If you can help THANKS.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon RX7 /forum/post/16111872

DigaDo,

Did the cleanning procedure ,it all looked good ,the medal sleeve on the left side of the lid was out of place , fitted it back in,got the disk out, put it back together made sure roller was on left side. Won"t open now,it says open ,close when i press button you can here it ,either i have something out of place ,or if something broke on the inside i dont

see it,

(I did run it a couple of times without the drive lid on.hope this didnt hurt anything,or myself)

If you can help THANKS.

When you mention the "sleeve on the left side of the lid was out of place . . . fitted it back in . . ." I'm at a loss to understand what part you are describing. You are referring to a DMR-EZ47V DVD Drive, is that correct?

If your DVD Drive was making "clunking" noises the problem is just as described in the earlier post.

While some have opened the DVD Drive lid while the machine is connected to power and/or powered up the machine with the DVD Drive lid removed, this practice may lead to additional complicating factors.

Another poster opened the DVD Drive lid of a DMR-ES15 and powered up his machine in order to make this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMb3cFsE12g

While the video is a good demonstration, the condition is just as described in my earlier post, i.e. "clunking noises," symptoms of a failing or failed laser assembly or the associated Digital PCB, with a possibility of a damaged ribbon cable or ribbon cable contact. In the video the Digital PCB is seen to the right of the DVD Drive. In combo recorders the Digital PCB is mounted on the sub-platform under the DVD Drive.

With the DVD Drive lid removed the disc tray should not be extended or removed from the DVD Drive (as an experiment) as this may cause misalignment of internal mechanisms or other complications leading to drive failure. Remedial measures are found in this post and the post that follows it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15745506

If experimentation has resulted in dislodging the laser assembly mounting panel front edge post from the guide channel in the slide cam, a condition preventing the correct raising and lowering of the spindle, the disc tray may jam against the spindle, preventing or restricting the opening of the disc tray. If this condition is allowed to persist there may result a failure of the spindle or disc tray motors, among other complications. With a jammed disc tray the machine should be disconnected from power and the condition promptly corrected. Remedial measures are found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14709306

See the second photo attched to this post for a clearer view of the correct alignment:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15746105

I encourage searching AVS Forum threads for advice based upon experience rather than experimentation that leads to additional complications.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DigaDo,

Left it alone for awile, Had other work to do ,decided to reassemble with the front pannel saying OPEN ,and placing the tray in the open position,everything works,put three different movies in,they all worked.This all started with a hp dvd-r 16x 4.7GB

that i could not get out ,tryed it again, wont play ,but it did open.Is there a certain blank disk i should be using

THANKS FOR THE HELP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts