AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my EZ47V for many months and it works fine. Only complaint is that sometimes it doesn't want to start recording, and I have to turn it off and on before it decides it's ready to record.

I want to get another recorder to hook up to a different TV. I'm debating whether to try to find another EZ47V or look at the newer models. I'm not married to Panasonic, but I really like the fact that it will record anything on TV, including premium channels (I've got Comcast). Will the newer Panasonics do the same? Or do the newer models have a copy protection thang?

I have no technical expertise at all in this area. Right now we have a regular old CRT TV, but are planning to get an HD LCD soon. Would that make any difference as to which model DVD recorder I should choose? I do know that I need one with a digital tuner.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. For Panasonics or anything else as good or better.

TIA.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
There are several similar threads running here at AVS that more-or-less cover your question, you'll find many detailed comments by running a search for the phrase "which DVD recorder?" The consensus overall is other than Panasonic and Phillips/Magnavox, everything on the current USA market is trouble-prone junk. Almost none of the major brand names are actually making their own recorders anymore, and 9 out of 10 are constantly fouling over real or imagined "do not record" signals.

If you like the way your Panasonic works, get another. They are fine if all you want is basic DVD-only or DVD/VHS combo recorders. If you can afford to spend a bit more and want increased flexibility, opt for the Phillips 3576 or its twin the Magnavox H2160. These are DVD recorders with built-in hard drives. The hard drive has enormous capacity, allows you to time-shift many hours of programs, permits easy recording of very long movies or TV show "marathons", and allows very convenient editing out of commercials or unwanted material before burning the final DVD from the hard drive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent much of the weekend reading that 94-page thread!

I am still not clear as to whether or not the 3576 will give me problems with recording premium channels. But apparently the 2160 isn't available anywhere, and I could only find a couple of sources for the 3576, so I decided to buy one and just hope it does what I want. I was afraid that if I waited, they'd all be gone. They seem to be going like hotcakes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts