AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got this Panasonic DMR-EZ485v from a friend, said that it would not read/record dvds anymore. Well that was of course true. I read the following thread; http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...es-reassembly-complications.html#post15745506 And I proceeded to clean the spindle, put a little grease on the slider bars, and clean the lens with alcohol, none of the above unfortunately had any effect whatsoever. This is basically what it does;
My drive does almost the exact same thing, makes the same noises, and barely spins the disk on the last attempt. It will say "No read" regardless of whether there is a disk in it or not. Anyone ever fix this issue?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had the same problem with my EZ-48v. Dead drive.

I found a replacement refurb on Amazon a couple months ago for about $150. It works fine. I don't see any listed on there now, though.

Maybe send forum member mickinct a PM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found places to get the drive, I think I could get it direct from Panasonic, it is prohibitively expensive though for me. If I could find one for 50, that would be one thing, but 150, is way too much and I just can't afford it, too broke, too many bills. Would love to fix it, just don't know how.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have found places to get the drive, I think I could get it direct from Panasonic, it is prohibitively expensive though for me. If I could find one for 50, that would be one thing, but 150, is way too much and I just can't afford it, too broke, too many bills. Would love to fix it, just don't know how.
I hear you. I spent the $$, because I use mine for a business. For home or casual use, that is definitely cost prohibitive.

Maybe try to find a used DVD recorder locally on craigslist?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
The video shows the condition of a Panasonic DVD recorder with a bad laser emitter. This cannot be repaired anymore than a burnt out light bulb can be repaired. You don't have to replace the entire drive though. MICKINCT (a member here) can replace the laser pickup. You should send him a private mail about your machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, and DigaDo, I did read the vast majority of that article you had posted. Unfortunately I still don't understand how to replace just the laser assembly even if I could find one, or how to repair it if that's possible (although it's sounding like its not.)

FFVT - good idea, didn't think beyond ebay to look for a unit, unfortunately no panasonic dvd recorders like mine in the area.

Church AV guy - I did contact him, and I think he replied as did I like 3 days ago, but I haven't heard from him since. The pm interface confuses me, can't seem to get to messages easily at all? Is the only way to look at messages to click your name, and go to the "visitor messages" tab? Just seems kinda clunky.

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Click on "Private Messages" on the first line under the AVS banner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.