AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just gone through the same problem with an EX75 unit. The HDD started clicking like the head was bouncing off something at startup, resulting in HDDERR on the display, but after several attempts it would boot normally allowing us to watch a few of the recorded programs before it stopped working again. Obviously the HDD was on the way out, and with only 47mins free, we had rather stupidly got rather a lot of soon to be lost recordings.

After reading a few forums regarding other ppls attempts at recovering / replacing the HDD, coming from a SW engineering background, I managed to get the HDD attached to my PC directly through the IDE connector, and wrote a quick tool to read off the raw data from the HDD into 1GB files giving me 149 1GB files.

I then ordered a new 160GB WD replacement HDD (almost the same spec as the original). I then wrote another tool to take all the the 149 1GB files and write them as raw data onto the new HDD.

After fitting the HDD into the EX75, to my suprise after reading all of the failures on the net, after a tense 'PLEASE WAIT', the unit came up with 47mins remaining, and operating completely normally.

I did start looking at reconstructing the movies using the info posted here, with some success, but would need to work out how the table of contents works to link together all the sub segements of movies, and gave up once I got the new HDD working.

Happy days, looking fwd to another 2 years usage from the unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly /forum/post/16863296

Sounds like cloning to me
What about the digi's that reformat when they see a different hard drive is installed?

I guess cloning would do the same, but I wanted to have a close look at the data with a view to recovering lost movies, so a hand made approach made sense.

If the format on different HDD detection is true, it would be a problem, I'm not convinced that this is the case, as there doesn't seem to be a convincing argument why Panasonic would do this, especially on some units in the same range and not others, but then I guess anything is possible. I suspect that its more likely the data on the original is corrupt sufficiently, say in the table of contents, for the unit to demand a reformat, as this is what happened when I replaced the original HDD the very last time.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Panasonic DVD recorders all have the size of their hard drive set in the firmware. If you put in a larger drive, it will format to the size of the drive that originally came with the machine. This characteristic is common to nearly all HDD equipped DVD recorders.

As far as swapping drives is concerned, everyone who as tried and reported back here has the same story. Once a drive is removed from a machine, if you try to use it on another machine, even the same make and model, the machine will demand it be formatted at first power-up. If you then return it to the original machine, IT will demand the drive be reformatted. I haven't tried any of this myself, but many others have stated this many times.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That may be, but if mindeater "cloned" to a new drive, he already broke the other rule that said it would reformat the drive if it did not read the same identification id of the original drive. Maybe in looking at the info he transferred, he could brake the code allowing it to recognize a larger hard drive.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/16864111

Panasonic DVD recorders all have the size of their hard drive set in the firmware. If you put in a larger drive, it will format to the size of the drive that originally came with the machine. This characteristic is common to nearly all HDD equipped DVD recorders.

As far as swapping drives is concerned, everyone who as tried and reported back here has the same story. Once a drive is removed from a machine, if you try to use it on another machine, even the same make and model, the machine will demand it be formatted at first power-up. If you then return it to the original machine, IT will demand the drive be reformatted. I haven't tried any of this myself, but many others have stated this many times.

The Philips 3575/3576 and Magnavox 2080/2160 are one exception... larger HDDs, swappable w/o reformatting, multiple drives for portability, etc., as described here.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
My expressoin "nearly all" implied some exceptions. The Polaroid 2001G is another exception.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/16864111

That's all I keep hearing from people that it never works, but the drive I did it with is not even the same model, old one a WD 1600BB the new one a WD 1600AA, I didn't do anything I would consider clever and it worked first time. As I said, I think people making a lot of assumptions over what is actually happening when they replace a drive and it doesn't work.

The concept of requiring 'firmware' when it comes to a HDD is very odd, as the only firmware on a WD HDD is written onto the drive by WD themselves an the time of manufacture, I don't think Panasonic are going to go to the trouble of re-writing HDD firmware, I don't think they'd have the budget or the inclination to go to that sort of trouble.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Are you saying that you put in a different hard drive and it formatted to a size greater than the one that originally came with the machine? If so, that is the very first time I have ever heard of this. Many different drives will work, and many people have put in drives that were larger than the one that came with the recorder, but everyone who has done this reported that the drive formatted to the size of the original one that came with the machine. The recorders just ignore the extra space. They work just fine, this way, but the extra space is ignored by the recorder. It does not read the drive for its size and use that number of GB, it uses the number of GB that is in its firmware. It does not write any firmware to the drive, just video data.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Maneater used the same size drive. I think I was trying to hint that if he still had the info on his computer, if he would try to see if it would work if he put it on a larger drive. I was reading the tivo hacks and they have been able to mount the linux drives and have been able to resize when going to a larger drive and retain the "recorded material." I think it can be done on the Philips, Panos, and Maggies, if the right person new how to read the correct info to do it. Maybe the tivo hackers could branch out to other types of PVR's

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindeater /forum/post/16862936

I then ordered a new 160GB WD replacement HDD (almost the same spec as the original). I then wrote another tool to take all the the 149 1GB files and write them as raw data onto the new HDD.

After fitting the HDD into the EX75, to my suprise after reading all of the failures on the net, after a tense 'PLEASE WAIT', the unit came up with 47mins remaining, and operating completely normally.

I did start looking at reconstructing the movies using the info posted here, with some success, but would need to work out how the table of contents works to link together all the sub segements of movies, and gave up once I got the new HDD working.

I'm a little confused, Mindeater.

If "the unit came up with 47mins remaining, and operating completely normally," then why did you "start looking at reconstructing the movies using the info posted here"?

If it only had 47 min. remaining, what about all of the other time on the HDD? Wasn't it viewable on the Panny?

If so, why did you need to reconstruct?

If not, what happened to all your drive space?

bob

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindeater /forum/post/16871278

That's all I keep hearing from people that it never works, but the drive I did it with is not even the same model, old one a WD 1600BB the new one a WD 1600AA, I didn't do anything I would consider clever and it worked first time. As I said, I think people making a lot of assumptions over what is actually happening when they replace a drive and it doesn't work.

The concept of requiring 'firmware' when it comes to a HDD is very odd, as the only firmware on a WD HDD is written onto the drive by WD themselves an the time of manufacture, I don't think Panasonic are going to go to the trouble of re-writing HDD firmware, I don't think they'd have the budget or the inclination to go to that sort of trouble.

I'd hardly call two WD1600's different models--at least for the purposes used here. The Panny isn't *that* sophisticated.

The *firmware* that was referred to above is not the drive firmware, but that on the Panny's motherboard. Drive size is burned into the unit on manufacture to keep you from buying a cheap model and upgrading the drive. My guess is, if you swapped the prom from an E-95 and put it and a larger drive into an E-85, you'd probably have another E-95.

bob

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindeater

a little confused, the same as VideoBob

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi guys, i need some help depserately, i just formatted my hdd it is a panasonic DMR-EX77. i meant to format the dvd disc but accidently formatted the hard drive. and hence lost all the television programs which were saved, these programs are so important and is it possible to get these back? do i use the method that wade described earlier

THANX IN ADVANCE

andre

·
Registered
13,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasn91 /forum/post/17229394

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can any1 help !??

Sorry to say, but it is a generally held view that if you format the HDD, you are cooked. There is no recovery from that.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasn91 /forum/post/17229378

hi guys, i need some help depserately, i just formatted my hdd it is a panasonic DMR-EX77. i meant to format the dvd disc but accidently formatted the hard drive. and hence lost all the television programs which were saved, these programs are so important and is it possible to get these back? do i use the method that wade described earlier

THANX IN ADVANCE

andre

I'm sorry to say that I have never heard of recovering anything from a Panny HDD after formatting. We have been jumping through hoops just trying to get usable files off of a *good* drive, without losing them.

I agree with Kelson, you are probably SOL on this one--but I *could* be wrong.

There are programs to unformat a DOS/Windows formatted drive--but I have yet seen one to even *read* a Panny-formatted one.

bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are in luck. I posted my findings in two different, but similar themed, threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16984815
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17178491

So let me state, that at least for the DMR-EH75V, the 'Format' fucntion is only a quick format that erases the MBR (or whatever is equivalent in teh file system used), but not the files stored on the drive. I'd be willing to bet all other Panny HDD recorders (and other brands as well) are similar. If it takes

Whatever you do, if you absolutely want to save those recordings, do NOT record anything else on the newly formatted drive, as it will overwrite the old files. Image the drive first.

21 - 40 of 189 Posts