AVS Forum banner
121 - 140 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've noticed this thread for a few years, waiting to try the methods mentioned if I ever suffered a hard drive corruption.

Well, it happened last weekend. I was trying to dub stored video programming onto DVD-Rs. My DMR-E80H hard drive became unreadable by the machine. I took the hard drive out, and mounted it in a Linux system. But, the hard drive was totally unreadable.

It appears I suffered a head crash, and nothing I tried could resurrect it. I could not even reformat it for future use.

Lost about 50 hours of programming. I will now be sure to offload content much more frequently.

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
Bummer, while rare in our DVDRs, HDD failures can happen and like you said if it's a true HDD failure and not a DVDR issue, nothing will get your data back

Keep us posted on how your HDD replacement goes, I haven't had to go that route but I'd think it will only be a matter of time.....

·
Registered
13,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1010518/panasonic-dmr-hard-drive-data-recovery-it-can-be-done/100_100#post_23240175

Keep us posted on how your HDD replacement goes, I haven't had to go that route but I'd think it will only be a matter of time.....
I think the hardest issue now will be finding IDE drives that are reasonably priced. Do they even make them anymore?

·
Registered
11,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1010518/panasonic-dmr-hard-drive-data-recovery-it-can-be-done/120#post_23240308

I think the hardest issue now will be finding IDE drives that are reasonably priced. Do they even make them anymore?
I just saw this deal posted on Woot this morning, $19.99 shipped for a 250GB IDE/PATA drive. It's refurbished but do you think I should pick one up for a spare?

You know far more about HDDs than I, are IDE getting hard to find? I haven't even looked other than this deal I noticed.
http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/5964823d-7b0d-4877-9dc3-6d0b43be3539/western-digital-caviar-250gb-7200rpm-se-wd2500jb-internal-hard-drive#1

Or Neweggs direct link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136096&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3668349&SID=

Found on my own, a 80GB IDE for $15.99 shipped which is the exact size of tomwil's but probably more RPMs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136292

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1010518/panasonic-dmr-hard-drive-data-recovery-it-can-be-done/100_100#post_23240175

I did have a spare 80GB 5400RPM drive that I installed in the DMR-E80H and is working fine now. Remember that the drive has to be set up as a slave.

I will probably order an exact replacement drive for $25 here . I might check Microcenter first; they sell refurbished IDE drives, which are very hard to find new since SATA took over. I've read that faster drives (7200/10000/15000 RPM) use more power, which could damage the power supply.

·
Registered
13,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1010518/panasonic-dmr-hard-drive-data-recovery-it-can-be-done/100_100#post_23240350

You know far more about HDDs than I, are IDE getting hard to find? I haven't even looked other than this deal I noticed.
Well I though so but apparently not. I just took a look on price-grabber for new internal IDE drives and turned up over 1700 listings

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wrote to Panasonic UK and they very quickly sent me a firmware disc. With the aid of a secondhand IDE disc I am now back in business.

Panasonic tell me that 'the latest firmware updates are always available directly from Panasonic UK free of charge', which is exactly what you'd hope.

I suppose they can't keep all the legacy ones on their current-models site, but it would be useful if clearer directions for old kit were on site. Maybe they'll ber able to do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

I know this thread is a bit old now but boy it's helped me. I just wanted to thank everyone involved in it especially the ones who created the python script.

After reading every bit of this thread - parts of it several times, I managed to to successfully recover some family movies from a Panasonic DMR-XW350.

Along the way I made a few mistakes which wasted many hours so here's a rundown of the seccessful procedure I used in hope that it saves the next person some time:

(This is for Windows users)

1. Download python 2.7.5 from:

http://www.python.org/getit/ (there are multiple versions. My computer is running Windows 7 64bit so I chose Python 2.7.5 Windows X86-64 Installer)

2. Dowload the dvr-recover.py from:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1996083/Projects/dvr-recover/0.8/dvr-recover-0.8-win.zip

3. Create a directory under C: called python and put the downloaded files in there (make sure you unzip them first). Then create a sub-directory called recovered - this will be where you export the recovered files to.

4. Create a .img file of the HDD. (I wasted lots of time trying to get the script to access the HDD directly.) To create the image file I connected the HDD to my pc via an external USB dock and used Stellar Pheonix NTFS Recovery to create the .img file (there are probably other programs out there that will do this job). Due to lack of space on my PC's HDD I craeted the .img file on another separate external USB HDD. This ensured I had enough space on my pc to export the recovered files to later.

5. Open a cmd prompt - to do this hold down the windows key and push the r key on your keyboard, type cmd and hit enter.

6. Type cd c:\python to change to the python directory.

7. Now we need to setup the dvr-recover script so it knows what to look for and where to export it to.

This is how mine looked after I edited it:

C:\Python>python dvr-recover.py setup show

input_file: E:\hdd.img

export_dir: recovered

blocksize: 2048

min_chunk_size: 0

max_create_gap: 90000

max_sort_gap: 90000

To achieve this run the following commands (hit enter after each line):

Python>python dvr-recover.py setup input add E:\hdd.img

Python>python dvr-recover.py setup export_dir recovered

Python>python dvr-recover.py setup min_chunk_size 0

To check your settings type:

Run python dvr-recover.py setup show

If you make a mistake and want to start from scratch type:

python dvr-recover.py setup reset

8. Now you're ready search the .img file for your data - type:

Run python dvr-recover.py create

9. Once that's finished your need to sort the files - type:

Run python dvr-recover.py sort

10. Then all you need to do is export - type:

Run python dvr-recover.py export

When it's finished you should be able to see all your files in the recovered directory and play them with Windows Media Player.

I hope this saves someone some time. The hardest part might be finding some software to create the .img file. I was lucky I already had Stellar Phoenix. Btw, I tried using Stellar Pheonix to recover the files but without success (wasted days on that part of it before I found this thread). Do take the time to read through the thread especially pages 1 - 3.

Thanks again,

Paul.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC7211  /t/1010518/panasonic-dmr-hard-drive-data-recovery-it-can-be-done/120#post_23747179

Hi everyone,

I know this thread is a bit old now but boy it's helped me. I just wanted to thank everyone involved in it especially the ones who created the python script.

Thanks again,

Paul.

Ok... I need to ask this: has anyone tried the Python script with a Magnavox HDD?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have an 80gb Maxtor hdd out of an old panasonic dmd e85. I would love to recover the information of the hdd and i have thrown away the machine a long time ago. so all i have is the hdd. I would love it if someone would like to recover the information and i would be happy to pay them for their time.......

·
Registered
2 Posts

sseeto is close to the mark, but I have found a SAFER way to refit an archived HDD drive (idea from afterdawn forums) back into my PANASONIC DMR-EH60 (in the land of OZ).Buy yourself a DPDT slide switch and a Y connector 4pin HDD power lead(MOLEX male to female PC powerlead).Cut off the spare lead at the Y connector,then cut the RED and YELLOW wires at the centre.Solder the slide switch in series(one pole used for each wire).Encase in heatshrink, then trim to allow switch to slide freely.Clearly tag the ON and  OFF positions of the slide switch!!! Use a mutimeter to check! Now we are ready to do the real job.1)Fit the madeup lead in series with the power connector on the back of the HDD.2) Navigate through to disc format in the menu.Only when the prompt to format(START) is displayed slide the switch to the "OFF" position.3)Then press ENTER on your R/C.Leave the unit to HANG for 10-15 seconds.4)Switch off the recorder at the wall.5)Put the slide switch back to the "ON" position.6)Switch the recorder back on at the wall.The machine will now recognise the refitted archived HDD!!!!!!! Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks very much for a response. Its sounds a bit tricky to do…. I am in Australia, should I assume you are also? I would love to have a quick chat with you over the phone on this if that is possible? Do you have an email address i can contact you via to exchange a phone number and I can call? Im very keen to recover the information off this drive….

Many thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

Actually you can recover data from formatted hard drive after formatting and it is easy for you to do so. But one thing you need to make sure is that your original data did not be overwritten by the new data or you may not use the software but use the hard drive mood to fix your problem. This method will cost you alot no matter money or time. For the easy way to solve your problem, you may try this software called  Hard Drive Data Recovery  to see if it works for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Yes,I am in OZ but I am still working on refitting 3 archived HDDs back into my old PANASONIC DMR EH85 recorder.This has proved to be a bit trickier than the later models.I will certainly be in contact when I crack it!I will be doing this during the festive season.Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe is a little bit off topic, but I it find after two days of googling. Firmware storage for all the old models, if it is actual for anyone. ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/call_center/firmware/DVD_REC/

But my problem is still far far away from some solution. I have connected my HDD to the computer and initialized. This probably overwriten some partition info and I am done. I have DMR-EH65. Is there anyone who can send me first 320kB of HDD? There may probably be what I need...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi, 

Thanks for all the work on the python application, I have been using it but I am having issues.

I am recovering a japanese DMR 580 which has a fried board. I have been using the recovery tools, and also the python application.

But all the recovery actions resulted in .MPG or .TS files that cannot be played by any player. The player just shows a black or green screen.

Could it be that the japanese models have some encryption on it, or is the disk corrupted, or am I actually doing something wrong?

I can send a sample file if someone can help me with this.

I would be in great debt, have been working on it for hours since the data on it is very precious to me!

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just wanted to add my thanks to seeto and braincon for suggestions on getting a Panny HDD to work in a different machine.
My DMR-EX85 suffered the U81 fault and, over-estimating my skills at electronics repairs, I trashed the main board attempting to undertake the repair. (Hint - if in doubt, there are people on Ebay who will do it for you pretty cheap!) I knew a friend had the same machine sitting idle and they were willing to sell it to me cheap. I then wanted to get the HDD from my old machine into the working machine. I was disappointed but not too surprised to get the "format" request. I was about to give up on all my old recordings (including camcorder footage that's a real grind to copy from tape) when I spotted seeto's and braincon's posts. Nothing to lose, so I took the seeto approach. After a few failed attempts I concluded that I needed to get as far as the machine actually starting the "format" i.e. don't power down the drive after the first "OK" - I had to go past the "are you really sure?" question. Scary! I then pulled the power to the HDD as fast as I could - less than a second I'd guess. Voila - next time I powered it up, no "format" question and all the old recordings are still there. Now, where's my stack of blank DVDs...
Caveat - anyone trying to replicate this does so entirely at their own risk! And don't even think about getting that HDD power connector off the EX85 without unclipping & removing the front cover (there's nothing wired to it, so it's easy to remove).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a Panasonic HDD burner that the output went caput on.

I have taken out the HDD and put it in a box making it IDE to USB capable, but now I cannot get my computer to look at the drive.

I run Windows 7 - can any one with more understanding that I make any suggestion?

Many thanks - KelvinJ

121 - 140 of 190 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.