AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 792 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I have the 700 and used it for a year with just dvd and blu ray.Had no issues playing both formats all year with good picture quality. Decided to buy 420 a month ago mainly for 4 k optimizer that works when streaming 4K from Netflix. Well first thing I noticed was a fantastic dvd picture quality, better than the 700 and my Oppo 103. Sound quality also seemed more powerful than 700. Im still in audition stages but I ave a ton of dvds so the 420 is a keeper for me.
What it your display?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
What's up all... I've been reading thru this thread and the Sony 700 thread as I'm looking at a 4k player. Currently I have a Sony 6700 which only upscales to 4k. My gear is a denon 4400 and a 75" tcl 6 series so I can view all the sources. OK now that's that's out of the way I'm in a mental bind so to speak. I'm torn between do I NEED DV or is HDR10 just as good. I'm starting to buy 4k discs and have a good amount w DV. I've watched streamed movies of dv and HDR10 and since not watching each back to back I don't know if there is a difference. Not saying I can't tell I just haven't researched it. So here it is. I know no price talk but BB has the 700 and 420 at the same price right know. So what is the census ? Is the 420 better in pq quality with hdr than the 700 so forget about the 700 dv...or do you wish you had DV. Curious if there is anyone that had the 700..jumped to the 420 and is glad they did. Appreciate all the help just can't decide

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I had the x700 for 2 years and it produced a great picture I love the fluidity of the ui as well on it and I didnt have many freezing issues ( maybe 3 freezes all together) but I didnt like the having to manually switch Dolby on or off but I got used to it so it was whatever. I had this Panasonic player for a week and imo the picture was slightly better on the panny more crisp sharper but nothing mindblowing but I felt the sony had the much better ui being more fluid and the apps were better to me on the Sony. The pannys I had ( I went through 4) all froze when playing youtube vids no matter what some would be worse than others while the sony played everything well ( I only had 1 sony) so my overall experience with the Sony was better but if I'm just talking about picture quality on movies then I give the edge to Panny. Also to mention the sensor to navigate the menus on the panny remote was terrible I always had to arch my hand to change things in my seating position but with the Sony didnt have to but again for the money and overall experience the sony gave me way less headaches but the Pure Picture aspect the Panny was Elite ha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well, progress, but sadly, it's limitted.:(
Thanks toddRiffic. Your response made me think there was more to the picture than meets the eye...I looked at the online manual and it's far more extensive than the one in the box. On pages 14 and 15 it talks about how the UB420 will output 1080p on the Audio Out HDMI, but it will not display 3D or HDR content. Bummer.
Until we make the jump to 4K, the LG is clealy a better fit for our system (HT humor).
Well I unplugged my 420 from my OLED and took it out to the living room and plugged it into my panny plasma via a Denon X3300. When I powered it on I saw a quick HDCP compliance message that went away too fast to memorize. I tried to play the Bumblebee UHD disc and no matter what setting I tried to change I got a blue screen with the message:

"This ultra hd blu-ray was created specifically for 4k ultra hd displays that support high dynamic range. appropriate equipment and connections are required for an optimal viewing experience."

Pretty surprising the player doesn't play uhd disc on a 1080 display automatically. Even more surprising is it's not intuitive in the settings how to manually set it to do so. Surely someone has figured this out.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Plays 1080p automatically for me. Make sure it's set up to output 1080p only.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Plays 1080p automatically for me. Make sure it's set up to output 1080p only.
You're saying all you changed is setting the 420 to 1080p only and you can play UHD HDR discs just fine on a 1080 display?

I definitely tried that with mine and it wouldn't play, switched to a 1080 blu-ray and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
You're saying all you changed is setting the 420 to 1080p only and you can play UHD HDR discs just fine on a 1080 display?
Yep, all UHD discs play perfectly at 1080p. I'll check this evening if there are any other settings i changed.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts

I definitely tried that with mine and it wouldn't play, switched to a 1080 blu-ray and it worked just fine.
+1
On our 1080p display, mine will play any DVD or 1080p BR disc. Ultra 4K, not so much.
Funny, because the LG UBK90 will play anything I throw at it, no questions asked...

FWIW, we also have 4 subs (plus Buttkickers) in our living room.
Maybe the 420 just does not like bassheads:)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Folks - I just purchased the ub420 from bestbuy during Thanksgiving and have hooked it up to my projector. I am underwhelmed with image quality and am wondering if I am doing things correctly. I have connected this to a Denon 4400h and an Epson 3800. Can anyone recommend optimal settings I should configure on the player? Also do the built in apps like prime and Netflix support hdr?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
+1
On our 1080p display, mine will play any DVD or 1080p BR disc. Ultra 4K, not so much.
Funny, because the LG UBK90 will play anything I throw at it, no questions asked...

FWIW, we also have 4 subs (plus Buttkickers) in our living room.
Maybe the 420 just does not like bassheads:)
Well you could give the 420 a factory reset to see if that helps, it certainly fixed my 420's streaming.

I ended with 4 subs due to the research done by Floyd Toole and his crew at Harmon. But I would so disappoint bassheads, I listen at such low volume. I'm at -25dB with Audyssey Dynamic Volume at medium watching the Seahawks game and that's the loudest it will be all week. :)

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
My Netflix app will not open. I’m connected trough a Denon 4K avr to a JVC x790 4K capable projector. The message, in large type, says I am not hdcp 2.2 compatible. Prime Video plays fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My Netflix app will not open. I’m connected trough a Denon 4K avr to a JVC x790 4K capable projector. The message, in large type, says I am not hdcp 2.2 compatible. Prime Video plays fine.

Any ideas?
At the risk of being a broken record, give the factory reset a try.

Turn the unit on.
Press and hold [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. “00 RET” is displayed on your display.
Press [►] right repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on your display.
Press and hold [OK] for more than 5 seconds.
The unit will power down and you'll need to power it back on and sign back into your streaming services.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts

Any ideas?
Set the player to HDCP 1.4 and see if that helps.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
If I set it to 1.4 then the 4k and hdr will not work, right?
No idea, I'm still using a 1080p projector currently. What I can tell you is that I had the same error when I tried using Amazon Prime for the first time and setting the player to HDCP 1.4 resolved it for me.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts

Here's my settings. Playing UHD discs at 1080p without issue on my Epson 5030UB:

Player Settings [HDMI]

HDMI: 1080p
4K60p Output: Off
24p Output: Auto
HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode: Auto
HDMI(AUDIO) Output Mode: Audio Only
HDR10+ Setting: On

Advanced Settings

Color Mode: YCbCr (Auto)
Deep Color Output: Auto (12bit Priority)
HDR/Color Gamut Output: SDR/BT.2020 (Auto)
SDR/SDR Conv. (Network Service): Off
HLG / PQ Conversion: Off
HDR TV Type: Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
25p/50p Output: Off
HDCP Output Setting: HDCP1.4 Limit
Contents Type Flag: Auto
Audio Output: On
7.1ch Audio Reformatting: Auto

Depending on your HDTV, I'm thinking you may want to try different settings for Color Mode, Deep Color Output and HDR/Color Gamut Output until you find the one(s) that work for you.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Here's my settings. Playing UHD discs at 1080p without issue on my Epson 5030UB:

Player Settings [HDMI]

HDMI: 1080p
4K60p Output: Off
24p Output: Auto
HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode: Auto
HDMI(AUDIO) Output Mode: Audio Only
HDR10+ Setting: On

Advanced Settings

Color Mode: YCbCr (Auto)
Deep Color Output: Auto (12bit Priority)
HDR/Color Gamut Output: SDR/BT.2020 (Auto)
SDR/SDR Conv. (Network Service): Off
HLG / PQ Conversion: Off
HDR TV Type: Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
25p/50p Output: Off
HDCP Output Setting: HDCP1.4 Limit
Contents Type Flag: Auto
Audio Output: On
7.1ch Audio Reformatting: Auto

Depending on your HDTV, I'm thinking you may want to try different settings for Color Mode, Deep Color Output and HDR/Color Gamut Output until you find the one(s) that work for you.
From what you are saying, by manually setting the HDMI to 1080p, you were able to view 4K Ultra discs on a 1080p PJ.
FWIW, I can do that now with the LG UBK90.
From the online manual, it appears that HDR content can not be displayed unless it's a 4K PJ or flatscreen.
So, the question is: Can you display HDR content on a 1080p PJ with the 420? If so, were you able to employ the HDR optimizer to manipulate the image?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Can you display HDR content on a 1080p PJ with the 420? If so, were you able to employ the HDR optimizer to manipulate the image?
HDR is converted to SDR, however I am still able to use the Optimum HDR Adjustment settings -- HDR Optimizer, Dynamic Range Conversion Adj, Brightness, Tone Curve (White), Tone Curve (Black).

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

Any ideas?

Does your Denon receiver have HDMI that is HDCP 2.2 compliant? If not, that could be the issue, and you would have to send a separate HDMI cables from your 420 to the projector for video and the other one to the Denon for the audio.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Forgot to say that Panasonic 4k players' Netflix app from the 900 on, seem to want everything downstream from the disc player to be HDCP 2.2 compliant or Netflix will not work......Amazon Prime and other app's have no such restriction. Stupid of Panasonic for sure.

221 - 240 of 792 Posts