AVS Forum banner
821 - 840 of 1322 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Mine also freezes annoyingly often. Taking the unit out of eco mode - turning ON quick start or whatever Panasonic calls it has substantially reduced the frequency of freezes. You could also try a factory reset to see if it helps. I love this player, but the software is very glitchy.

Pip

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have attempted to use the apps on a number of occasions but i had to quit, being that i ran out of nasty words to express my anger.:mad:

As for playback of BD's & UHD's, for the price point of this player, it is fantastic.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi again guys, having the Panny too, and I wanted to try the HDR - SDR conversion too on my BenQ W1720, but I cannot access to the “BT2020 color space“ without a HDR signal. Given my projector is native Rec709 should I try the HDR - SDR709 conversion then? Would this benefit my images same way as with SDR2020 such as a more proper tone mapping? I’ve been using the player outputting HDR2020 and still looks great but I’ve been battling this in the back of my head too since again, my projector is really native 709 and I don’t know if I can achieve great quality with just SDR 709

EDIT: Ok so I just tried it, HDR to SDR709 again in a long time and did something I didnt do before: use the HDR sliders hehe.. and I amazed ho good it looks... I moved the dynamic range slider up to +8 and it seems to be the best balance. Now apparently my smart eco lamp mode doesn’t go nuts with the brightness levels anymore. So, just to confirm, the panny 820 is doing the tone mapping itself isn’t it? Also this whole process with SDR709 does not affect the original’s source 4K resolution, right?? The playback info says is 4K but I dont now if there’s some downconversion and then upconversion process because of the 4K output. Meanwhile, wow, is the panny player suppose to be this good with HDR-SDR709 conversion too? I think I should keep toying wit the sliders but so far so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I have an odd quirk with this 4K player that I hope you can help me with.

4K Player: Panasonic DP-UB420
TV: HiSense Q7G (Canadian model almost identical to the H8G)
Receiver: Denon AVR-S720W
Harmony 650 remote

I'm using two HDMI cables on the Panasonic, with the video outputting to the TV so I can get HDR10+ and the other going to my receiver. It is connected to my TV's HDMI2 input and the Blu-ray HDMI input on my receiver.

If everything is off and I press the "Watch a Movie" button on my Harmony remote, everything works perfectly, with all the required devices turning on and the TV changing to the HDMI2 input. However, if I am currently in an activity, i.e. watching TV, and I press "Watch a Movie", everything works as it should except the TV changes to HDMI2 and then changes back to HDMI1 on its own. If I change the Panasonic's output and use only one HDMI cable to connect audio & video to my receiver, it will work perfectly regardless of the circumstance, but then I can't get HDR10+. Any tips or advice on this? I can manually switch the input to HDMI2 of course, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having this remote. I suspect it's an HDMI handshake issue, but am not sure who is the culprit between the 4K player, the TV or the receiver.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Does anyone know if a 1080 capable receiver will pass an SDR2020 signal from the 420? I know its still a 1080 signal, but will the expanded color make a difference? If it matters, it's a Pioneer VSX-921. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I returned my 820 and got a 420. Exact same picture quality
Hi Ed. Hope you’re doing well! I’ve been considering this player. Seeing that you own it and are happy with it has convinced me to buy the 420. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Hi Ed. Hope you’re doing well! I’ve been considering this player. Seeing that you own it and are happy with it has convinced me to buy the 420. Thanks!
Im close to getting one of these as a backup player in case my LG conks out. I don’t really care about dolby vision so this would be the model for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had the 420 for about two weeks, and it has blown past all my expectations. I still have a 1080p Benq HT2050 projector, so 4K was not my primary reason for buying it. I mostly wanted access to the Atmos tracks on my UHD discs. What I did not expect was a massive upgrade in picture quality on the same projector. Blu-rays have better color and contrast once I dialed in the settings. And UHD discs look spectacular. Even though my projector does not support HDR, the built-in tone-mapping in the HDR to SDR conversion provides a more natural looking, higher-contrast image from UHD discs than the standard blu-ray. I haven't even touched many of the settings beyond the HDR Optimizer and the dynamic range slider, so there may be even more improvements to unlock.

Overall, what I thought would be a fairly minimal upgrade until I got a 4K projector ended up being the most surprising and impactful change I've made to my theater this year. Even if you don't have 4K yet, the general consensus is correct: this is THE player to buy for a projector, period.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Im close to getting one of these as a backup player in case my LG conks out. I don’t really care about dolby vision so this would be the model for me.
The price is right, but this is my first DVD/BR player that does not have a digital display on the actual unit, unlike the 820. You have to use your display via Status to see the timing of the disc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Friends - this thread is getting a little long and after about 7 pages my eyes are starting to cross o_O Can anyone point me to the best settings to adjust on the 420 with an Epson 6050ub? Thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had the 420 for about two weeks, and it has blown past all my expectations. I still have a 1080p Benq HT2050 projector, so 4K was not my primary reason for buying it. I mostly wanted access to the Atmos tracks on my UHD discs. What I did not expect was a massive upgrade in picture quality on the same projector. Blu-rays have better color and contrast once I dialed in the settings. And UHD discs look spectacular. Even though my projector does not support HDR, the built-in tone-mapping in the HDR to SDR conversion provides a more natural looking, higher-contrast image from UHD discs than the standard blu-ray. I haven't even touched many of the settings beyond the HDR Optimizer and the dynamic range slider, so there may be even more improvements to unlock.

Overall, what I thought would be a fairly minimal upgrade until I got a 4K projector ended up being the most surprising and impactful change I've made to my theater this year. Even if you don't have 4K yet, the general consensus is correct: this is THE player to buy for a projector, period.
I think I’m going to pick up a 420 based on your comment here. What hdr to sdr conversion settings do you use? Do you change any settings on your projector for uhd discs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Friends - this thread is getting a little long and after about 7 pages my eyes are starting to cross o_O Can anyone point me to the best settings to adjust on the 420 with an Epson 6050ub? Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Found the settings @Dreamliner posted - giving these a shot tonight. Thanks for posting! Here's the link to the original post for anyone reading this later: Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I am going to cross-post my original post in this thread, tweaked for generic projector settings. Seems like a lot of new projector/UB420 owners can benefit from this. The UB420 is the BEST player to get for all projector owners (UB820 if your projector supports Dolby Vision). Period.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820, Projectors & SDR2020

The Panasonic UB420 is the answer for physical 4K media (UB820 if your projector supports Dolby Vision, otherwise functionally identical). With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with projector auto-switching (like JVC with Gamma D or its built-in HDR curve) or any external devices like an HD Fury. The UB420 will make you think you bought a new projector. Configured with the settings below, your projector will not necessarily see a ‘HDR’ signal so it will not auto-switch to a built-in HDR curve (or JVC Gamma D). The UB420 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a ‘full range’ signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle. :cool:

The UB420 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

HDCP 2.2, 4K & HDMI Cables:

HDCP 2.2 & 4K is extremely finicky with cables. I only recommend this cable. Others will recommend other brands but it must say EXACTLY: "Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable" (which currently is limited to 30 feet). Any variation of that language is not a genuine certified cable and may not work. My previous cable was "4K 60Hz compatible" but did NOT work. If you screw around with cables, you will have problems.

There are no HDCP 2.2 4K certified cables over 30 feet but many people have had long-run success with these cables if over 30 feet.

No matter what you buy, if it is 30 feet or shorter and does not say EXACTLY "Certified Premium High Speed" you are taking a risk.

Panasonic UB820 Optimal Settings for Projectors (SDR2020):

On the UB820:
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off (preference)

On the UB820 During 4K Disc Playback:
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>HDR Optimizer>On (preference)
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment>+4 to +8 (preference)

Regarding HDR Optimizer, you lose some brightness but gain detail in explosions and similar. I started with this off but now have it on. Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment will depend a lot on your screen size, bigger screens will want more. I have left the other settings at defaults (so far).

On the Projector:
Set your projector to Color Profile>BT.2020
Set your projector to Gamma>2.4
If you have a way to save this then do so. You will recall it for any 4K disc. Below are specific instructions for JVC projectors.

On a JVC Projector:
Menu>Picture Adjust>Color Profile>BT.2020
Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Gamma>Custom 1 or 2 or 3
Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Correction Value>2.4

For JVC Projectors, regarding other settings like Iris and Lamp Mode, that is your preference. I chose Iris 0 and usually Low Lamp but High Lamp looks nicer. I set my user modes up for quick switching (press the User Mode before adjusting settings): User1-HD, User2-4K, User3-3D. More about that in my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide.

Conclusion:
As you can see this is quite simple, but this will really make the most of 4K and your projector. As for streaming, you are still on your own. I really wish there was a simple HDMI I/O box that does the UB420/820 magic to all sources. I do think some of the new projectors are better at handling 4K HDR now (like the JVC NX's) but I know for certain that if you have ever played a 4K disc and thought "gee that looks dark" this is absolutely the solution for you.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I am going to cross-post my original post in this thread, tweaked for generic projector settings. Seems like a lot of new projector/UB420 owners can benefit from this. The UB420 is the BEST player to get for all projector owners (UB820 if your projector supports Dolby Vision). Period.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820, Projectors & SDR2020

The Panasonic UB420 is the answer for physical 4K media (UB820 if your projector supports Dolby Vision, otherwise functionally identical). With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with projector auto-switching (like JVC with Gamma D or its built-in HDR curve) or any external devices like an HD Fury. The UB420 will make you think you bought a new projector. Configured with the settings below, your projector will not necessarily see a ‘HDR’ signal so it will not auto-switch to a built-in HDR curve (or JVC Gamma D). The UB420 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a ‘full range’ signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle. :cool:

The UB420 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

HDCP 2.2, 4K & HDMI Cables:

HDCP 2.2 & 4K is extremely finicky with cables. I only recommend this cable. Others will recommend other brands but it must say EXACTLY: "Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable" (which currently is limited to 30 feet). Any variation of that language is not a genuine certified cable and may not work. My previous cable was "4K 60Hz compatible" but did NOT work. If you screw around with cables, you will have problems.

There are no HDCP 2.2 4K certified cables over 30 feet but many people have had long-run success with these cables if over 30 feet.

No matter what you buy, if it is 30 feet or shorter and does not say EXACTLY "Certified Premium High Speed" you are taking a risk.

Panasonic UB820 Optimal Settings for Projectors (SDR2020):

On the UB820:
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off (preference)

On the UB820 During 4K Disc Playback:
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>HDR Optimizer>On (preference)
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment>+4 to +8 (preference)

Regarding HDR Optimizer, you lose some brightness but gain detail in explosions and similar. I started with this off but now have it on. Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment will depend a lot on your screen size, bigger screens will want more. I have left the other settings at defaults (so far).

On the Projector:
Set your projector to Color Profile>BT.2020
Set your projector to Gamma>2.4
If you have a way to save this then do so. You will recall it for any 4K disc. Below are specific instructions for JVC projectors.

On a JVC Projector:
Menu>Picture Adjust>Color Profile>BT.2020
Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Gamma>Custom 1 or 2 or 3
Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Correction Value>2.4

For JVC Projectors, regarding other settings like Iris and Lamp Mode, that is your preference. I chose Iris 0 and usually Low Lamp but High Lamp looks nicer. I set my user modes up for quick switching (press the User Mode before adjusting settings): User1-HD, User2-4K, User3-3D. More about that in my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide.

Conclusion:
As you can see this is quite simple, but this will really make the most of 4K and your projector. As for streaming, you are still on your own. I really wish there was a simple HDMI I/O box that does the UB420/820 magic to all sources. I do think some of the new projectors are better and handling 4K HDR now (like the JVC NX's) but I know for certain that if you have ever played a 4K disc and thought "gee that looks dark" this is absolutely the solution for you.
Can you say on the ub820/ub420?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have no idea what Dolby Vision does and have never seen a tv using it. I just bought the 85" Sony 900 tv w/Dolby Vision (previous was my trusty Pioneer Kuro 6020). Am I going to miss DV if I buy the less expensive 420 over the 820? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have no idea what Dolby Vision does and have never seen a tv using it. I just bought the 85" Sony 900 tv w/Dolby Vision (previous was my trusty Pioneer Kuro 6020). Am I going to miss DV if I buy the less expensive 420 over the 820? Thanks.
Buy the 820. Dolby Vision is another layer of HDR information. If your TV can do it, get the 820. For Dolby Vision titles, it will bypass the Tone Mapping functions on the 820 (I think), but it they will work for all the non-Dolby Vision titles.

You will forget all about the $200 in a couple months. Buy the 820.

This is also the time to buy new HDMI cables. Do not screw around with cables, only buy Certified Premium Cables. I recommend these cables (clicky)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Buy the 820. Dolby Vision is another layer of HDR information. If your TV can do it, get the 820. For Dolby Vision titles, it will bypass the Tone Mapping functions on the 820 (I think), but it they will work for all the non-Dolby Vision titles.

You will forget all about the $200 in a couple months. Buy the 820.

This is also the time to buy new HDMI cables. Do not screw around with cables, only buy Certified Premium Cables. I recommend these cables (clicky)
Thanks DL. Appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I’m going to pick up a 420 based on your comment here. What hdr to sdr conversion settings do you use? Do you change any settings on your projector for uhd discs?
I followed Dreamliner's settings (reposted a couple posts up). I believe my projector is only Rec.709, but with SDR/BT.2020 (Auto) setting the player will automatically send the best compatible signal up to BT.2020, so I just kept it there. During each movie, you can press the Option button to fine tune the video settings using the dynamic range slider. I've found that each movie needs a slightly different adjustment, but I've always kept it in the 0 to +5 range so far.

821 - 840 of 1322 Posts