AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Panasonic th-pwd5uz in the middle of march. upon installation on the wall, i turned it on and noticed some problems. with DVD through component input, the picture flickered on and off. black bands appeared and sometimes the picture blacked out entirely. when i switched to video mode, the picture jumped and then re-stablized whenever i changed channels on my digital cable box. in both of these modes, i also noticed a ghostly line that moved up the screen that was very distracting. the guy who installed it checked and assured me there were no problems with the way he set it up, wiring and all. so i figured it was defective. i called sears and they replaced it. now I am having the same problems. does anyone know what my cause this? is this the nature of plasma? i feel like getting my money back and buying a crt display. please help!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like a grounding problem with the cable hookup. You may need to isolate the cable ground from your system. Do a search for cable grounding problems.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
With a line moving up the screen, I couldn't imagine it being a defect in the TV itself. I would conclude the cable grounding problem is supsect too, except the DVD feed adds a quirk to the mix. Does the DVD input still suffer from the same problems?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
First, see if that is the problem by unhooking the cable from your system. If the problem went away then you found it. To find the grounding problem you need to find where your cable enters your house and then look for a cable grounding block. There should be a line running from the block to your houses main ground wire that comes from the panel. Make sure the line is making good contact.

You can also try grounding isolators, do a search for "Ground Hum" and you should find some links.

It could also be, depending on the age of the house, a problem with the outlet. You should be able to get a "receptacle tester" from your local hardware store to test for broken grounds in your receptacles as well as other "mis" wired receptacles.

My TH-42pwd5uz had the "ghosting" scrolling lines until I found that it was being caused by the cable hookup. I checked the ground connection and the receptacles and installed a ground isolator. It diminished but is still there, very very faintly. I only see it when there is a black screen. At other times, not noticeable at all.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If the problem is your cable ground, and it does sound suspect, your cable company is responsible for fixing it, not you.

Dsmith

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would the cable ground also affect the DVD through component input? It is here where the ghostly bars appear the worst.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
It may, it may not. I would check the receptacle also. You may find that you have "dirty" power. I quality, read here not the most expensive, line conditioner/surge suppressor may also work. Go with the cheapest, recepticle tester, first. Then you can work on the others if that is not a problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same problem with hum-bars (ghostly lines) on my Panasonic 37" in my bedroom. They would go away if I lugged the plasma over to the equipment and plugged it in there. I had new cables run to the plasma to no avail. My installer fixed the problem by installing a ground isolator on the plasma (a $1 item designed to disable the ground plug from the plasma plug). Worked like a charm; no more hum-bars!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Is that a "ground lift" (three prong to two prong device, a ground cheater?). Not a very good solution, methinks, as that just bypasses the groud without correcting the problem.

PS. the reason that lugging your plasma to the equipment and plugging it in there was probably due to all the equipment then being on the same circuit off the main panel. Having your equipment on different circuits, I have read, will cause a ground loop.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
It may, it will not work on a crappy ground which is what this sounds like. I have a tripplite unit that regulates the power and also removes/suppresses RF/EMI "noise". Seems to do what it is supposed to do as I noticed a definite improvement in the bass response and the sound floor on my stereo.

Like I said before, start with the easy and cheapest to do first. See what you find. Unhook your cable and/or sat to try and narrow down what are causing the "hum bars". Then come back and you will get answers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rmcgirr83
I have a tripplite unit

Which Tripplite unit do you have? I have been thinking of one myself. Thanks.

jack

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
LCR2400, rack mountable, has 14 power plugs and pumps out 2400 watts of power. Not very expensive, can't post the price I'll probably get slapped. Much less than any other ones I could find.

I posted about it somewhere, search and ye shall find.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had serious hum bars in the picture; tried everything, couldn't lose 'em. Finally I got a 1:1 isolation transformer (for 110 volts) on Ebay for well, let's just say the shipping cost more than the item. Problem solved.

COMP

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
A what? Where does it go in-line with your cable. Tried a search got nada.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Compeller
I had serious hum bars in the picture; tried everything, couldn't lose 'em. Finally I got a 1:1 isolation transformer (for 110 volts) on Ebay for well, let's just say the shipping cost more than the item. Problem solved.

COMP
I'm having some hum as well.

Can anybody explain what this device is?

Make and Model would be helpful

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
neochimp:

I had cable hum trouble until I ran it through my HTS-5100 power conditioner. It was only an audio hum, though, and there was no video interference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.