AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences, features and benefits in comparing the Panasonic DST50 vs. DST51:

DFAST and other issues

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here they are:

Both models are IEEE-1394 capable of recording the decoded DTV signals as an MPEG bitstream to the PV-HD1000 D-VHS VCR (since discontinued, but they are still around if you look hard enough).

The TU-DST50W was the first set-top box made by Panasonic in 1998. Due to a factory screw-up, the wrong Schottky integrated circuits were installed, and the units ran too hot, resulting in blue speckles on the image. This was (and remains) a warranty-covered fix.

The TU-DST50W tunes all VHF and UHF channels. It decodes ATSC 8VSB digital signals in their native formats (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) and passes them through to YPbPr outputs.

This tuner also down-converts all digital signals full-time to both a composite and S-video output. It has optical Toslink for Dolby AC-3 output.

The TU-DST51 was released in late 1999 and fixes the blue noise bug from the 50W. It also passes all ATSC signals through at their native format. However, it does not have an S-video output when downconverting, and downconversion is only selectable from the rear-panel switch.

There is a second accessory tuner on this box for receiving NTSC from cable or off-air. It also has Toslink for Dolby AC-3 and outputs analog HD in the YPbPr format.

KC

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"The TU-DST50W was the first set-top box made by Panasonic in 1998."

Is the DST50 tuner less sensitive or does it implement 8VSB in a manner that can be called "first generation" when compared to the DST51?

The TU-DST51 was released in late 1999 and fixes the blue noise bug from the 50W. It also passes all ATSC signals through at their native format. However, it does not have an S-video output when downconverting, and downconversion is only selectable from the rear-panel switch.

So the NTSC downconversion of HD is only composite (no s-video) on the TU-DST51?

"There is a second accessory tuner on this box TU-DST51W for receiving NTSC from cable or off-air. "

"The TU-DST50W tunes all VHF and UHF channels."

Is the function of the accessory box tuner duplicate the same functions, or doesd it do -more- or less?

What about DFAST in the TU-DST51W? With 1394/5C taking hold does DFAST still present a threat that makes the DST50 (which I was told does not have DFAST) more desirable than the DST51W?

Which would you buy today?

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman:

[B

What about DFAST in the TU-DST51W? With 1394/5C taking hold does DFAST still present a threat that makes the DST50 (which I was told does not have DFAST) more desirable than the DST51W?

Which would you buy today?[/b]
In my opinion based on years of hardware design is NO, the DST50 is immume to 5C snd DFAST. I could be wrong. Software protocols are typically designed in layers. The ATSC stream is set and approved by the FCC so any modifications that alter the base stream are not allowed, by law. The ATSC stream however does have space reserved (a lot of space) for future functions, such as 5C. So what they do is put the "no record, record once, view once, codes in the auxillary space. Compliant receivers look in this space to get the authorization of what they can and can't do, such as downrez the analog outputs. But an old box like the DST50 doesn't have the instructions to look there before decoding the stream. It has no knowledge of this auxillary space so any information placed here gets ignored.

This eample is hypothetical based on how many of the protiocols I have delt with over the years work and I have no reason to think 5C is any different.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if the DST50 [Y,N] DST51 [Y,N] has or does not have DFAST protocals?

Murray Kerdman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.