Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I am using a DMR-E100 and recently purchased a new DMR-E10. I wanted the benefits of better LP recordings and the instant record feature, which as far as I can see are the only REAL benefits to this model vs. the previous models (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

I thought that if I were to take a RAM disc and record a show on the E10 (using the better LP quality), that I could then: A) dub that recording onto the hard drive on the E100 (which I CAN do). B) Copy that dub from the E-100's hard drive AT HIGH SPEED to a DVD-R disc (which I CANNOT DO). I am only able to dub at real time to DVD-R, which I know diminishes the quality of the DVD-R copy.

Is this an inherent problem or am I doing something wrong?

With the E-100 (DVD-R dubbing feature turned on, of course) I have the flexibility of high speed dubbing, no matter what combinations of media I use. Am I forced to use real time dubbing to DVD-R with a recording made on the E-10, or forced to use RAM discs for high speed dubbing (which is considerably more costly but seems to be my only option at this point)?

I am confused about this and I would greatly appreciate any and all qualified or experienced help with resolving this problem (Hopefully!). THANKS ALOT!! :)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
We pretty much pointed this out way back in march in this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=Londo and many others (including some recent threads just within the past few days).

The problem is that Panasonic in their infinite wisdom, did not provide a menu setting in their non-HDD recorders to permit the recording to be set to High Speed dub compatibility mode. Hence, every recording made on a non-HDD Panasonic recording cannot be transported to a HDD recorder via RAM and subsequently high speed dubbed to DVD-R. Pretty shortsighted on Panasonic's part. If I were their marketing guy for a day, I would realize the benefit of having this feature in the non-HDD recorders and really play it up. Instead, Panasonic was not thinking in the multi-VCR/DVD recorder paradigm wherein it would be more likely for a household to own perhaps one HDD based DVD recorder and maybe one or two non-HDD recorders. Having this feature also in the non-HDD recorders would allow discs recorded on the non-HDD "satellite" recorders to be brought back to the "mother ship" HDD recorder for high speed dubbing to write-once medial. But no, Pansonic mistakenly was stuck in the single DVD recorder paradigm, and figured why put a high speed dub menu setting in a recorder that you couldn't use for high speed dubbing because it didn't have a hard drive. Dumb and dumber, IMO.

So getting back to your original question, slurpy, you are pretty much hosed. You cannot do what you intended to do unless you get the Panasonic HDD-based EH-50. Another reason why I pretty much stay away from non-HDD recorders. It didn't have to be this way, however, if Pansonic had any clue as to how to do it right.

Oh about the additional features of the Panny 2005 models, you forgot to mention that they also now burn to DVD+R and DVD-RW (video mode only, not vr mode) media which is another advantage.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Even though the E-10 can't handle the high speed dub mode, I'm thinking of getting one with the expectation of taking the RAM or RW discs to the computer for editing and dubbing. The 179 price at Costco is pretty attractive for a unit that can handle the LP mode better than my 85 and 95.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.