AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically. what I have is a Toshiba 15" diagonal LCD TV/DVD combination (model 15dlv76) connected to a Panasonic DVD recorder model dmr-ez28. When setting everything up, I noticed the DVD recorder works. But, I am not getting the setup menu. I have yellow socket connected to y-in to the Toshiba and the other end of the yellow connected to the video-in terminal of the Panasonic DVD recorder. I have the white socket connected to pb white terminal to audio inl l of the Panasonic DVD recorder. Finally, I have the red socket plugged into pr of the Toshiba and the other end plugged into the audio in of the to the Panasonic DVD recorder. One coaxial cable, connected from Radio shack hd antenna to RF in on DVD recorder unit. Finally, I have another 75 ohm coaxial cable connected from rf out on the DVD recorder connected to the vhf/uhf rf in the Toshiba. But, the problem is the dvd recorder is working. The clock blinks. The cd holder works. The only problem is I cannot get get the setup menu. Oh, is there any way I can get even better reception. It is hard to do w/ such a 420p tv. thanks.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpdrive2 /forum/post/15510190

Basically. what I have is a Toshiba 15" diagonal LCD TV/DVD combination (model 15dlv76) connected to a Panasonic DVD recorder model dmr-ez28. When setting everything up, I noticed the DVD recorder works. But, I am not getting the setup menu. I have yellow socket connected to y-in to the Toshiba and the other end of the yellow connected to the video-in terminal of the Panasonic DVD recorder. I have the white socket connected to pb white terminal to audio inl l of the Panasonic DVD recorder. Finally, I have the red socket plugged into pr of the Toshiba and the other end plugged into the audio in of the to the Panasonic DVD recorder. One coaxial cable, connected from Radio shack hd antenna to RF in on DVD recorder unit. Finally, I have another 75 ohm coaxial cable connected from rf out on the DVD recorder connected to the vhf/uhf rf in the Toshiba. But, the problem is the dvd recorder is working. The clock blinks. The cd holder works. The only problem is I cannot get get the setup menu. Oh, is there any way I can get even better reception. It is hard to do w/ such a 420p tv. thanks.

You are mixing up inputs and outputs. IN is for inputting a signal, OUT is for outputting a signal. You need to output a signal from your EZ28 to an input on your Toshiba. Then you view the EZ28 signal by selecting that input with your Toshiba's remote.

The EZ28 RF output provides a pass through for whatever signal is input to the EZ28 through the RF input. The EZ28 RF out does not provide any signal that the EZ28 generates on its own. This means that you can not watch through the RF output a DVD or whatever channel you tune through the EZ28 tuner.

Be sure to read your Quick Start Guide or the Operating Instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I too am having issues with my DMR-EZ28 that I just purchased with a Panasonic Viera 50" plasma television. I set up the tv and used an HMDI master cable to connect to the 2 units but cannot access the set up menu for the dvd. I followed the instructions and the input on the tv matches the incoming jack but cannot get any response. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I used to have a EZ-28 along with my Panasonic LCD hooked via HDMI. It worked quite nicely, I believe without having to set anything up except maybe turning HDMI control on(which enabled input sensing to automatically select the correct input).

If you had another HDMI device the best test would be to try the other device, which would eliminate everything other than a bad EZ-28. If you don't have another HDMI device (like a DVD player) I'd try another HDMI input on your TV or if you had another HDMI cable you could try replacing that.

AFAIK the recorder and your TV should work out of the box and require no other setup. Oh if you had a composite cable you could try temporarily hooking that to your TV.

It's possible you have a bad EZ-28 HDMI output, a bad HDMI cable or even a bad HDMI input on your TV. I'd suspect the cable or EZ-28 first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got me a Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD recorder with a digital tuner. I only bought it because of the switch to all-digital by over-the-air TV stations; prior, I had a VCR that worked just fine, for me. Anyway, I've double checked all connections, with one end of the audio-video [with red, white and yellow jacks] in the "OUT" terminal of the DVD recorder in question and the other in the "IN" terminal of my digital flat screen 19" TV, an Insignia NS-LCD19 model. I have the jack of my RCA UHF/VHF antenna plugged into the "RF In" terminal of the DVD recorder, while I have the TV's antenna outlet connected to the "RF out" terminal of the DVD recorder with a co-axial cable that came with the unit. The manual suggests that some "Welcome" menu should have popped up, once the TV and the DVD recorder were on, after the "hello" display; however, I did not receive such display, nor am I able to even see the contents of a movie DVD disc on my TV screen while it's playing. This means that I'm in the dark, as to how to go about "auto-searching" the channels via the DVD recorder. I mean, I am able to get over-the-air TV channels, but that's from the channel set up through the TV set only, and not the DVD recorder. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong and how to go about resolving it, would undoubtedly be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

I have the jack of my RCA UHF/VHF antenna plugged into the "RF In" terminal of the DVD recorder, while I have the TV's antenna outlet connected to the "RF out" terminal of the DVD recorder with a co-axial cable that came with the unit. The manual suggests that some "Welcome" menu should have popped up, once the TV and the DVD recorder were on, after the "hello" display; however, I did not receive such display, nor am I able to even see the contents of a movie DVD disc on my TV screen while it's playing. This means that I'm in the dark . . . I am able to get over-the-air TV channels, but that's from the channel set up through the TV set only, and not the DVD recorder. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong and how to go about resolving it./QUOTE]

Unlike VCRs of old the DMR-EZ28 threaded RF "out" connection is an unmodulated pass through from the RF "in" connection. That means that the only signal output through that connection is the same signal that is fed to the antenna "in" connection. For tuner and DVD output one must use the other output connections to the TV. With reference to the composite yellow, white and red RCA cable connections to the TV the Operating Instructions and the Quick Start Guide specify "You must make this connection." (emphasis added) Then you view the EZ28 signal by selecting that input with your TV's remote.

Welcome to the Digital Age!

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
Sounds like your connections are good. I think you just need to press INPUT on your TV remote to switch to VIDEO1. For a better picture, use S-Video or Component (red/blue/green) or HDMI instead of the yellow video plug. Any connection except HDMI still uses the red/white audio cables.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Your Insignia(I have the same model) has a HDMI input. Use it for best results, don't pay too much for the cable. Monoprice sells decent 6' HDMI cables for under $5 but they do have a minimum shipping charge so it's best to order several items if you can. It's hard to find a HDMI cable B&M for anything under $10 if that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts