AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got my DVR Recorder Panasonic DMR-EA18K and would like some feedback on the optimal/highest quality setup with my HT System:

( The receiver I have is a Denon AVR 3808CI ):

1) Want to play DVDs.

2) Want to tape TV Programs either from live TV or from HD DVD Recorder Cable Box ( TimeWarner HD ).

3) What is the best setup: Directly from DVD Recorder to Cable Box or Through the receiver?

Thanks for the input,

Jhon

·
Registered
11,648 Posts
Personally I would run HDMI out of EZ-18 directly to TV and use that connection for DVD watching.

Run S-video out of cable box/STB to S-video in of EZ-18 and use this connection for copying either live or recorded programs to your EZ-18.

For watching your cable box/STB(either live or recorded) I would use it's best output(preferably HDMI/DVI or at least component) directly to your TV.

AFA audio I believe the EZ-18 has optical audio out and I'd run that directly to your Denon as I would your STBs optical or coax audio out.

I suppose instead of running your EA-18 and cable box directly to your TV you could route it through your Denon and use your Denon as a switcher, that would be up to you.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonNYC /forum/post/16977977

I've just got my DVR Recorder ...

2) Want to tape TV Programs...

[sarcasm/humor mode=on
]

If you have a DVD recorder why would you want to TAPE a tv program. Wouldn't you rather use the DVD recorder you just got and NOT tape?

[sarcasm/humor mode=off
]

In reality, jjeff has given the best advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/16979824

Personally I would run HDMI out of EZ-18 directly to TV and use that connection for DVD watching.

Run S-video out of cable box/STB to S-video in of EZ-18 and use this connection for copying either live or recorded programs to your EZ-18.

For watching your cable box/STB(either live or recorded) I would use it's best output(preferably HDMI/DVI or at least component) directly to your TV.

AFA audio I believe the EZ-18 has optical audio out and I'd run that directly to your Denon as I would your STBs optical or coax audio out.

I suppose instead of running your EA-18 and cable box directly to your TV you could route it through your Denon and use your Denon as a switcher, that would be up to you.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I will follow through.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/16981680

[sarcasm/humor mode=on
]

If you have a DVD recorder why would you want to TAPE a tv program. Wouldn't you rather use the DVD recorder you just got and NOT tape?

[sarcasm/humor mode=off
]

In reality, jjeff has given the best advice.

The reason is that I already have some taped programs on the cable box and want to copy them to DVDs.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

The fun we're having, is when we see newbie use the word 'tape', when speaking of recording to their new dvd recorders...(which don't use tape!)

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/16982131

The fun we're having, is when we see newbie use the word 'tape', when speaking of recording to their new dvd recorders...(which don't use tape!)

I also feel it necessary to correct people who reference which recording SPEED they are using. XP, SP, LP, EP are not speeds, they are compression or quality settings or modes.

Absolutely no offence intended, if so I sincerely apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/16982215

Hope his HD cable tuner outputs anamorphic 16:9 over s-video, too - otherwise he might be in for an unpleasant surprise when he goes to watch the recordings.

This is true. JhonNYC, ther are a number of set top boxes that will only put out a letterboxed output on their S-Video or composite feeds. If you have one of these boxes, no amount of fiddling with the settings will get you full screen from the SD outputs. There is a great thread on the topic on this board, so if you have this issue, I recommend you do a search and read up on the topic. It has been a real frustrating experience for many people.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/16982215

Hope his HD cable tuner outputs anamorphic 16:9 over s-video, too - otherwise he might be in for an unpleasant surprise when he goes to watch the recordings.

Which means, (translation for newbies), that your cable box might not output a 16x9 picture , thus displaying the image with black bars that you will not be able to eliminate even if you set your TV to 16x9. There are ways to correct this but, we will not discuss them unless there is some interest.

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts