AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR EZ27. I have had it for about three years, but don't use it too much.

I have old VHS tapes I have lately been trying to put on DVD. Everything seemed fine, the dvds played in the recorder and on the computer. BUT, when I wanted to copy a dvd that I made on the recorder on my computer, I got a failed message. I tried other dvds I made, SAME thing. I have tried to move all the VOB files to the computer and it sometimes works burning it that way, but it takes awhile.

Does anyone know what causes this problem? I did a search and found others with this problem (with other Panasonics).

My concern is buying a new DVD recorder - do they all have this problem, I came across a review of a sony DVD recorder where someone had this problem as well.

I don't have problems burning other discs, just the one I made with this machine.

I don't know what to do at this point. I don't want to put all my stuff on DVD if it can't copy right. Please help.

thanks

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
What format disc are you using? I believe +, - and RAM all produce a different file structure, have you tried different formats?

I just did a test and I was able to copy, -R, +R, and -RW Panasonic burnt discs on my computer. RAM(using a program other than Windows Media Player) and +RW played on my computer but wouldn't copy, Shrink said something about not able to read disc.

For computer copying I'd stick with either +-R or -RW, since you have a Panasonic I'd stick with the - format which is more native to Panasonics.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgem /forum/post/18259543

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR EZ27. I have had it for about three years, but don't use it too much.

I have old VHS tapes I have lately been trying to put on DVD. Everything seemed fine, the dvds played in the recorder and on the computer. BUT, when I wanted to copy a dvd that I made on the recorder on my computer, I got a failed message. I tried other dvds I made, SAME thing. I have tried to move all the VOB files to the computer and it sometimes works burning it that way, but it takes awhile.

I'll assume that your discs were finalized on the recorder, since they played on your computer drive without problem. So the question is how did you try to copy them to the pc? A simple 'copy folder' to pc's drive should have worked I don't open the folder and copy the vob files, I copy the entire dvd folder. Never had a problem with importing Panasonic recorded discs to the pc.

If you still have problems manually copying them, then try this program, DVD Shrink. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Shrink It will allow you to make a copy of any non commercial, home made dvd, to the pc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using DVD-R

I want to be able to burn the discs without have to save the files to my computer first. That is the problem I am getting.

I want to be able to do a quick burn like I can do with any other dvd but the ones I made with my dvd recorder.

The burn programs I have used are NERO, DVD Shrink, and Cyberlink.

I use Sony or TDK discs.

Like I said, I have no problem burning other discs (that friends have sent me), but I don't see why I am having problems with discs I make on my own.

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jjeff & Westly,

It sounds to me like you both burn by adding the dvds files (folder) to the computer first.

Is this the way it needs to be done? I can normally use Quick burn for other discs and it's so much faster. I run the first disc (NERO or another program) and then put in a blank disc and then it copies really quick.

I don't want to go out and buy a new dvd recorder is most are going to have this issue.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Yes when I use Shrink it puts the copy in a folder on my HDD. Then to burn I use a program that came on my computer, CyberLink DVD Suite to burn the image to a DVD. I've never used/tried a quick burn like you're talking about.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgem /forum/post/18259543

My concern is buying a new DVD recorder - do they all have this problem, I came across a review of a sony DVD recorder where someone had this problem as well.

I copy discs with Nero 7 Premium using the Nero “COPY DVD“ feature and never had a burn failure message with discs recorded on a Pioneer clone Sony RDRHX780.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye /forum/post/18262642

I copy discs with Nero 7 Premium using the Nero COPY DVD feature and never had a burn failure message with discs recorded on a Pioneer clone Sony RDRHX780.

Thank you! Maybe it's a Panasonic issue. I found this thread and someone is having almost the exact problem as me:
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/for...vd-102078.html

I guess I may have to get a new recorder. I do use Nero 7 and "Copy Disc". I have had no problem with any other disc but the ones I made with the standalone recorder.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to update and say I contacted Panasonic today. Of course, they said the problem is not on their end. The problem is the coding on my dvd burner does not match the Panasonic dvr code.

I don't know what this means. Basically they don't want to take blame.

I told them I have NO problem quick burning any other discs (that were not made with this recorder.)

I use DVD-R.

Does anyone know more about the coding? In Nero it stops at "Could not perform Starttrack."

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Sometimes a disc that can't be copied directly, especially inferior TDK (CMC) discs may be DVD Shrinked and then copied as "data" with Roxio, version 6 or newer. (Avoid the packet-writing feature.)

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
I use DVD-R.

Yes, but are you using a good brand of DVDs ? Compare against the list: http://digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/18274695

Sometimes a disc that can't be copied directly, especially inferior TDK (CMC) discs may be DVD Shrinked and then copied as "data" with Roxio, version 6 or newer. (Avoid the packet-writing feature.)

DVD Shrink is abusive to non-retail sources. Transcoding does not work well with consumer sources. The software was not designed with homemade materials in mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts