AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get a new DVD Player, I have a Sony N700P and it looks like crap though component compared to my X1 through S-Video. I want a DVD player that has DCDi and the chroma fix or what ever it's called. The latest DCDi chip would be best I suspect and I didn't know what was advertised at CEDIA that would be coming up. Is there anything out there better than the RP82, and still under $500. If not - they still make the RP82 don't they, I'm having a hard time finding a new one. thanks david

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that is wasn't qiute as good as the Panasonic not having some video adjustments - even though they say it has better audio. Do they not make the RP82, if not what took it's place, and whats the latest version of DCDi if anyone knows. Thanks David

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does RGB Output via SCART Terminal mean. Does the Denon have VGA out, that might be good going into the back of my X1?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Panasonic RP82 was discontinued over a year ago. Its successor the XP50 (also the XP30 which is the same without DVD-audio) was discontinued as well a few months ago. There has been recent sightings of a few XP30s in online stores for under $200. They are also listed on EBAY new and used in the $200-$350 range. The Denon DVD-1600 is the only model left with similar quality, but its being discontinued now too. There are a few online retailers that still have a few new for around $300 - but you will have to hurry to get one new. None of the new models from Panaosnic use Faroudja anymore, so they are just cheap lower quality units. Denon's new models have a new Faroudja chip but have an inferior MPEG decoder and softer image, so does Mitsubishi's new DD-8040. They just don't make 'em like they used to!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are there any DVD players on the horizon, high-end or low-end that come close to the RP-82/Denon 1600 series? It seems like there has to be some company out there somewhere looking at sales of used RP-82s, and seeing the DVD shootout results and coming out with a good high video quality DVD player....

I've picked up the DVDP-NS725 last week from Sony and was quite unimpressed by it's video performance. The player is GORGEOUS, and i love the menus and blue LED. However I brought my girlfriend's Panasonic S35P over and was amazed how even that inexpensive DVD player had better video performance than the Sony, particularly in progressive scan performance (no jaggies!), and this is with the "no name" chips in that current model.

It seems that we're in a transition point right now where price and profit through intense cost cutting are on every manufacturer's mind, rather than coming out with a high value, reasonably priced model. Also, I guess that DVI/Hi Def is still on the horizon, and that will mark the next real turning point in DVD quality. Until then, I guess we just have to hold tight to the oldy-olds that we've got now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy

They just don't make 'em like they used to!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Nope, thats why I said they don't make 'em like they used to. The closes onea are the new Denon DVD-910,1200 and the Mitsubishi DD-8040. But they have a softer image and poorer MPEG decoder plus the color flicker issue. They could fix these issues but don't for some unknown reason!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Quote:
What does RGB Output via SCART Terminal mean. Does the Denon have VGA out, that might be good going into the back of my X1?
The SCART connector is for European 1600's. The North American model has Component, Composite, and S-Video outputs.

FWIW, I just bought a 1600, and before doing so, I downloaded the manual from the Denon USA site. For whatever reason, they have the UK manual posted, not the USA version, thus it shows a SCART connector.

Having said all that, I do not know anything about SCART, other than the fact that we don't use them in the US. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can comment on whether or not you can adapt that to your projector, assuming you have a non-US 1600..

BGL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.