AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These two dvd players have a price difference $570. Panasonic's top of the line RP91N does not seem to have too much of an advantage over the much cheaper S55S except for some minor features which some people can do without. They are both multi-format players (but they don't play SACD) but the S55S plays DVD-R, MP3, and WMA.

Is the price difference really worth it? The specs are somewhat identical so I don't think there would be much of an improvement in audio or video with the higher-end model or am i missing something here? If Panasonic combined the two and add SACD capability, i think they'd have a multi-format player that can compete against Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and even Yamaha.

Comparison of Panasonic DVD-RP91N & DVD-S55S

DVD-Player shootout

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
First, the RP91 is discontinued, so you might have trouble finding a new one. Also, you won't pay the $699 MSRP price for it. Crutchfield was selling them for I think $299 a few months ago, but are now sold out. In terms of video quality, the 91 is superior to the 55. The 55 was made to compete with low cost chinese import players, so in order to sell it cheap, Panasonic used their own in house all in one deinterlacer/MPEG decoder chip which is low quality and inferior to their previous players.

The 91 uses a slightly better progressive scan deinterlacing chip that will scale non-anamamphoric dvd's. It also uses the top of the line MPEG decoder. Build qualtiy is also improved. The 91 will do DVD-Audio, DVD-RAM, and play MP3's. The problem might be finding a new RP91. I would recommend staying away from the S55 if you are interested in top quality video playback. If you can accept a lower quality of video, the 55 will work.

If you can wait awhile, Panasonic is introducing the RP97 later this year for an MSRP price of $299. There is an existing thread with more info on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the info. I just wonder why Panasonic has not updated their site, it just leads to misinformation. They should at least say that the model has been discontinued. They do not even have a section for latest news on their products.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I bought my sister the S55 for Christmas. Although it doesn't do SACD or DVD-A, I actually think it's a better player than the Pioneer DV-563A we use in our bedroom for the second TV. The S55 plays more of the recordable formats than the 563A, including DVD-RAM, and has a variable zoom feature for 4x3 TVs that's better than the fixed zoom the Pioneer uses.

That said, the Panasonic RP82 we use in the family room with the big screen TV is better than either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.