AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find many changes from the dvd-s77s to the dvd-s97s. Anyone know what sets the dvd-97s apart?

·
Registered
415 Posts
According to www.frys.com , about $50 :D

I dunno, according to secrets, the S77 scored higher than the S97 but state that the S97 is more refined... I bought the S77 because I didn't think that the word "refined" was worth the extra $50...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree that the "Secrets" distinction between these two players seems, well, less than instructive. I also dismissed it.

But there are differences... or at least there were. The original build S97 also output a PAL signal (but not a PAL>NTSC converted signal), but I believe Panasonic may have "de-featured" the more recent build S97s in this regard. And while the stated specs from Panasonic indicate somewhat better audio response on the S77, the S97 also includes on-board DPL-II decoding.

It seems the only difference worth mentioning between these two players is the price and the PAL capability of the S97, assuming it still has this (and assuming that your monitor will display a PAL signal such that you could take advantage of it). If your monitor is prone to macroblocking like the Panny plasmas are known to be, then perhaps the added "refinement" of the S97 might render it somewhat less evident. But I'm not sure if I really believe that to be true.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I found my S97 to be an improved, sharper picture than the S77. Cant quantify...but same movie, same scene...I was trying to focus my PE7700 with the S77, awesome picture with S97...go figure.

(HDMI connection, 720p upconversion)

Jim

·
Registered
747 Posts
smitjsonga:

I'm interested in the S97S. There is no manual available for download. Can you answer these questions?

Is "Position Memory" easy to use? If you simply stop play and turn off the player does it remember your position?

What is "Quick Replay"?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
You can download the manuals for the S97 and the S77 from the support page of Panasonic's web site.
No you can't. This is what you get:

DVD-S97S

.Sorry, an online operating manual is not available for this model.

Please contact Product Support -1-800-211-PANA (7262) for

more information.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch
No you can't. This is what you get:

DVD-S97S

.Sorry, an online operating manual is not available for this model.

Please contact Product Support -1-800-211-PANA (7262) for

more information.
I really don't want this to get off track so please start up another post or PM each other if you have anything else about the manuals.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Akastp thanks for all your help!!!! I know it is a public forum, I PM you becouse I wanted to try to keep this post on track but you could not understand that could you? Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
I currently have the S77 and after reading I might bump up to the S97...

Here's my question: Can you use the optical/component audio with the HDMI? I want to connect the DVD player directly to the projector via HDMI output to DVI input on the projector (HDMI to DVI adapter) but I want my audio connected via an optical/component audio to go to my Yamaha RXV-2500 receiver for 5.1 Dolby Digital. Can you set the video to HDMI and the audio to optical?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
Can you use the optical/component audio with the HDMI? I want to connect the DVD player directly to the projector via HDMI output to DVI input on the projector (HDMI to DVI adapter) but I want my audio connected via an optical/component audio to go to my Yamaha RXV-2500 receiver for 5.1 Dolby Digital. Can you set the video to HDMI and the audio to optical?
Yes, this is what I do. HDMI to the TV and optical to my receiver. Should be noted that for DVD-A's, the optical connection only does stereo, if that is important to you.

TZ

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryzero
Yes, this is what I do. HDMI to the TV and optical to my receiver. Should be noted that for DVD-A's, the optical connection only does stereo, if that is important to you.

TZ
And it only does stereo 24/96 or 24/48 via optical/coax, not stereo 24/192.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
I currently have the S77 and after reading I might bump up to the S97...

Here's my question: Can you use the optical/component audio with the HDMI? I want to connect the DVD player directly to the projector via HDMI output to DVI input on the projector (HDMI to DVI adapter) but I want my audio connected via an optical/component audio to go to my Yamaha RXV-2500 receiver for 5.1 Dolby Digital. Can you set the video to HDMI and the audio to optical?
I can do this with the S77... Is this why you want to upgrade to the S97? I think the menu options are exactly the same for the features both players provide.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryzero

TZ
TZ, is the DVD-Audio optical in stereo true for just the S77S or both?

CC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.