AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can I purchase this dvd player. going to return my samsung. Cant find the panasonic anywhere. Please help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I picked up the floor model at an Ultimate Electronics in my area. I am just using it for evaluation though, because the markup was horrendous ($399 new, $325 for floor model). I'm 80% sure this player will actually workout for my Panny plasma (contrary to popular belief).

Anyhow, if and when I do decide on this unit, I'll likely be doing so directly through Panasonic. They have 10% off first orders through them and currently free shipping as well. So the total ends up being $269.10 + tax.

TZ

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will will the first orders come out. w cant you get this anywhere else

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkennedy
A Best Buy store with a Magnolia Home Theater section should be able to get you one.
Worth a shot, both of the Magnolia/BB stores in my area said they would not be able to get one. Every store I go to tells me this unit has been discontinued.

TZ

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it was so good. why is it getting discontinued. Am I mistaken, but wasnt this one of the best upscalers. Is panasonic coming out with a new one.

What is the difference between the dvd-s77 and dvd-s97 (is the s97 just the newer model)

By the way, when are HD dvd players suppose to be available

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326
I thought it was so good. why is it getting discontinued. Am I mistaken, but wasnt this one of the best upscalers. Is panasonic coming out with a new one.

What is the difference between the dvd-s77 and dvd-s97 (is the s97 just the newer model)

By the way, when are HD dvd players suppose to be available
Panasonic is obviously making new S97 units since the refreshed availability at panasonic.com. Some people have reported that their S97s had build dates of July 2005. So I am confused as to why stores say this player has been discontinued. Perhaps a more accurate statement for them should be to say they do not plan on carrying it anymore.

The S97 came out last fall, the S77 came out late spring. I am not sure on the differences exactly but I am told the S97 has a few more features for those who like to tweak. I have heard that some feel the build quality of the S97 is better but I don't have both to compare. In the store both units look very much the same. I hear a lot about firmware updates for the S97 but virtually no news on updates for the S77.

As far as HD-DVD, read the article on the main page ( www.avsforum.com ) and it mentions a Toshiba HD-DVD player that was planned to be available for Christmas. They estimate it to cost around $1,000. The news on this subject changes daily, so if you need a player now I wouldn't suggest waiting.

TZ

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got my S97 on August 1st at Fry's Electronics, here in So. CA. It has a build date of June 2005. I called around at different Fry's in my area and all said the S97 is always being sold out as soon as they come. One store just had a new shipment come in, so I went there and found they had 6 in stock, with no display model. The guy said the display model sold the week before to some one that could not wait for the next shipment to arrive, and that they had not had time to put another one on display.

From what I understand, the new S97's are starting to show up now. The newer S97's also have a different firmware than the previous ones.

My S97 has been excellent too, I really like it and I am very pleased with my purchase.

Rick

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryzero
Worth a shot, both of the Magnolia/BB stores in my area said they would not be able to get one. Every store I go to tells me this unit has been discontinued.

TZ
In Long Island, NY the Walt Whitman Mall has a Best Buy with a Magnolia Home Theater section and the S97S is available at full retail price of $399 and it isn't discontinued as per their computer information.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Best Buy can keep it at that price. There is no price on the Panasonic Web site (See dealer for price) I guess BB is inflating the price. Even Panasonic is selling the unit on their own web site for $100 less when you hit the buy button, so I guess the price that BB is asking is wrong. I would direct a sales person to the Panasonic site. If this does not work see the store manager.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley
Best Buy can keep it at that price. There is no price on the Panasonic Web site (See dealer for price) I guess BB is inflating the price. Even Panasonic is selling the unit on their own web site for $100 less when you hit the buy button, so I guess the price that BB is asking is wrong. I would direct a sales person to the Panasonic site. If this does not work see the store manager.

Best Buy matched the Panasonic website price of $299.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
 www.jandr.com has it for less w/free shipping. On the web site it says temp. out of stock. That's because it keeps getting shipments in and immediately selling them out. Call their 800# and speak to a salesman. He'll tell you how long the list is and when you can expect one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just order mine from J&R around 1pm today. The website says it is temporarily out of stock. But when I called to see when I might get the unit, the rep says it has been shipped already. (Btw, it's cheaper than Vanns)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The panasonic s97 are now in stock, looks like they just got a shipment in. check all your retailers like amazon.com, Vann's, and **************. you better hurry before they're all gone.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchens
Just order mine from J&R around 1pm today. The website says it is temporarily out of stock. But when I called to see when I might get the unit, the rep says it has been shipped already. (Btw, it's cheaper than Vanns)

Lucky you mchens. I ordered mine from j&r over a month ago and I called about 5min ago and they said it shipped today. And if it has MB with my pio 5050 it is going right back........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwilli
Lucky you mchens. I ordered mine from j&r over a month ago and I called about 5min ago and they said it shipped today. And if it has MB with my pio 5050 it is going right back........
That's weird that mine would be shipped out sooner than someone who ordered it a month ago. I would be all over J&R if I were you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.