AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying an upconverting DVD player. I am currently running a Panasonic 42" plasma TV (EDTV) with HDMI input that accepts all video signals (except 1080p), and an Onkyo TX-SR603X receiver. I am trying to decide between the Panasonic DVD-S97S, the Denon DVD-756S, or the Oppo 970. Can anyone give me some insight as to the best of the three? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tmtang64, that's a fantastic deal. But how is this DVD player? I'm down to this one, the Denon 756S and the Oppo 970. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic because of their reputation for great video. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello Mike,

After a few custom adjustments as suggested here, I really love it. I got a Sony NS70 but I replace it with the panasonic because I like it picture quality and color display on my 50" plasma.

The Sony will go to the bed room with a 27" LCD TV.

tmtang64

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
IMO you can't go wrong with the S97. I have a similar setup(720p vs 480p) and I've had my Panny for almost a year. As stated there are many adjustments that can be made to create a perfect picture. Many will say the Oppo but I vote for the Panny.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 /forum/post/0

IMO you can't go wrong with the S97. I have a similar setup(720p vs 480p) and I've had my Panny for almost a year. As stated there are many adjustments that can be made to create a perfect picture. Many will say the Oppo but I vote for the Panny.

Gomo, do you have an EDTV or an HDTV? I'm trying to decide if buying an upconverting DVD player is worthwhile on an EDTV. Thanks.

- malex930

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.