AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Panasonic E85 HDD Recorder in Australia. Tonight I burnt a cricket match to a dual layer -R DVD on the PC and couldn't believe my eyes when it wouldn't play in the E85 but it did play in a 2003 budget DVD player in the other room.

Doesn't the E85 play Dual layer DVD media?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
You know, I checked the manual and I could find no mention of DL media at all. It doesn't say yes, or no. I can't believe it wouldn't play a commercially pressed DL disk, but maybe not a burned DL disk. I have a friend with an E85, so I can check for you sometime.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/18237158

You know, I checked the manual and I could find no mention of DL media at all. It doesn't say yes, or no. I can't believe it wouldn't play a commercially pressed DL disk, but maybe not a burned DL disk. I have a friend with an E85, so I can check for you sometime.

On page 14 of the DMR-E85H Operating Instructions (copyright 2004), only the DVD-R and DVD-RAM formats are mentioned as those that will play and record. The "+" formats are mentioned as those that will not even play. DL discs are not mentioned at all, perhaps because the DL format was introduced in 2006 (according to Wikipedia).

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Well that makes sense, but it should play a finalized disk, no? I have a DVD player from the dark ages, A Sony from the earliest days of DVD, and it plays my +R DL disks. I should run some tests on the E85 I have access to, just to get a second opinion (from the machine).

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I have a '02 player that won't play any + discs, DL or SL and finalizing makes no difference. My guess is the Panasonic would play finalized -R DL(about as scarce as hens teeth) but probably not the more common +R DL or maybe not even +R.

I'd do a test but all my Pannys are post '04 and support playing all formats(the '05's just don't record to +RW or any DLs).

·
Registered
245 Posts
This unit plays a
  • Verbatim DVD+R DL
  • bitset to DVD-ROM,
  • with layer breaks properly authored
  • and the laser is clean, and still in good reading condition

The problem comes when people don't do (or don't know how to do) all of those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts