AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an E85H hooked up to Sony HS20 projector via component cables. I have regular cable coming in via the RF Input, and I have a S-Video out from my Comcast Motorola 6412 into the E85H. The S-Video from the 6412 is setup as Line-1 input, and it seems to work just fine for everything other than the HD channels (and the RF input works fine also). For the HD channels via the S-Video Line 1 input, however, it "letterboxes" everything, no matter what settings I change on the cable box or the E85H. Stretching already widescreen material obviously don't look too good!

Is there anything I can change fix this? Would the composite output from the 6412 work any differently?

I was really hoping to burn recordings off of the 6412, inlcuding HD programs I record. I understand that the quality will drop off, but I'd hoped that the original aspect ratio would have been preserved.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
There's been a recent flurry of posts on this in several different threads. Bottom line is that Panasonic units will record 16:9 and skrunch it to 4:3 without clipping the sides. If you play it back on a widescreen TV it will be un-skrunched and look fine. I'm not sure what, if anything, you can do to record a 16:9 source and have it letterbox the output on a 4:3 TV.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, your description is exactly what I'm expecting it to do. My problem though is that its letterboxing the HD content from the cable box (s-video) on my 16:9 display. I've tried recording (to the Harddrive only so far) from the HD cable box, and it does it when recording also. Are you saying that once I burn it to a DVD, it will fix the aspect ratio issues, and make it fit on 16:9 and letterbox on 4:3? I'll try that tonight and also try adjusting how I have the cable box outputting over s-video. Plenty of things to experiment with, I was just hoping someone would have a quick answer to what I've done wrong thus far.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
The problem is not in the setup of the E85H, it is in the setup of the Motorola 6412. It is formatting the signal as letterbox before sending it to the S-video output.

Some STB's do this by default, and there is nothing you can do about it. Others will output the anamorphic format if you set the right options in setup. Sometimes it is an obvious setting, other times it is a side effect of telling the STB your TV is 16:9. I am not familiar with the 6412, so I can't be more specific.

Good luck...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem with my Dish HD STB. When I first got my E85, I had Voom and was able to get a good recording off of HD material. Of course, that doesn't do me any good now.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
You need to tell your cable box to downconvert the HD signal to 480i from it's native 1080i or 720p signal. Depending on your stb this may or may not work.

Quick test - Run a S-video cable out of the stb and into your TV then tell the stb to downconvert the HD signal to 480i. If your TV is displaying it in 16:9 you're in luck and you can record it just as you see it on your TV. But if your TV is displaying a letterboxed image there is nothing you can do with the E85 to record 16:9 material because your stb won't send it thru the S-video cable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Andante, I'll try that. The cable box allows me to setting the display type (16:9 or 4:3), the Component Out resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p), and the 4:3 override resolution (480i or 480p). I'll mess around with those and see if I have any luck. Any 6412 and E85h users out there that have figured this one out?

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.