AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching standard def TV for 2.5 years on my Panasonic 42PD60U EDTV (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). It has been pretty good even with the stretched image. As of last Saturday I have a HD signal for the first time ever. I am a Dish Network subscriber but until now, I was unable to get a HD receiver. I have set my VIP 211K receiver to a 1080p output which hopefully will not harm my TV.

I am extremely surprised at the unbelievable picture I now have. My question is, How much better is the picture going to be on a 1080p HDTV than what I have now? I watch from a distance of 5-8 feet.

Until I saw the pictures I am now viewing, I assumed that I had to buy a 1080p HDTV once I could feed my TV a HD signal. From what I now see I think I can save my money until later.

·
Registered
899 Posts
IMO, a 42" Panasonic ED plasma still puts out an excellent picture. At 5' you will notice the difference going to 1080p. However, at 8', on a 42" TV, the difference would be noticeable but not significant.

Personally, I would shoot for at least a 50" or even 60" 1080p TV. No THAT would be a very noticeable upgrade over your 42" plasma.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't know what your watching or if Dish really has that BAD of a SD signal, but 480P is the SAME as 480i. Exact same resolution. One is Progressively displayed and the other Interlaced. In fact it's IMPOSSIBLE for your Plasma to display a Interlaced Picture. Plasma's are Progressive Displays and always shows a 480P picture, doesn't matter if it got a 480i signal or a 480P signal. Plasma's and LCD's no matter what the Input source signal is, 480i, 480P, 720P, 1080i, or 1080P will Display the picture at it's own Native Resolution. For a EDTV display, that's 480P, no matter what Input you give it!!! In fact playing a DVD should give you just as good of a picture as a HD signal. The DVD player is outputting 480P, and the HD signal is down converted to 480P. Now some DVD's are pretty BAD, but I've have a few I thought were HD quality the detail was so good, even though it's the same 480P.

It comes down to the compression used and the Quality of the Source. Satellite is highly compressed!!! So I can Imagine starting with a better quality HD source and then down converted to 480P to what is now a ED picture will look somewhat better. I can think off the top of my head for example the James Bond Movies, the older ones, Never looked the best on DVD, but with all the clean up work done to restore the movies to new like Condition and then putting them on Blu-Ray, the Detail, and Colors are Amazing, though I'm sure a New DVD Version also would of looked even better also.

Back in the day, a EDTV Plasma was much cheaper then a 720P HDTV was. With the Limited HD back then it wasn't a big deal. You could at least get Max performance with a DVD player that could output a picture progressively. The one thing from going from a SD TV signal to a HD TV signal, is with HD your now at least can take advantage of a true 16x9 picture format on your display instead of stretching the SD TV picture out which would give you a better looking picture that way. Other then that it seems like a waste of HD service. It's time for a new HDTV! Throw that EDTV in the bedroom or something and get a new HD display, which for your distance, and similar to mine at about 7 feet, a nice 50" 1080P Plasma!

I went from a 42" 1080i CRT Rear Projection HDTV (Because I couldn't even afford a EDTV Plasma at the time 7 years ago) to my current 50" 1080P Panasonic Plasma. Get the Full HD signal your paying for. Now THAT would be a huge improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I still have a 50U version of that same Panasonic and I believe it is one of the best sets they've ever made. I also have a 720P LG and a 1080p Panasonic...but the ED still does better with standard def programming and looks pretty dang HD with a HD signal. Of course, when HD is viewed on the ED side by side with a 720p/1080p you notice that the pic is a bit softer and less defined...but that in no way means it looks bad. If a person has no need for a really large screen size (above 50") and watches mostly standard def cable/sat channels....the old Panasonic ED sets can't be beaten. The biggest issue is getting over the psychological barrier of "only 408p"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDragon /forum/post/16952545

I don't know what your watching or if Dish really has that BAD of a SD signal, but 480P is the SAME as 480i......

In fact playing a DVD should give you just as good of a picture as a HD signal. The DVD player is outputting 480P, and the HD signal is down converted to 480P.....

It comes down to the compression used and the Quality of the Source. Satellite is highly compressed!!! .....

..... The one thing from going from a SD TV signal to a HD TV signal, is with HD your now at least can take advantage of a true 16x9 picture format on your display instead of stretching the SD TV picture out which would give you a better looking picture that way. Other then that it seems like a waste of HD service. It's time for a new HDTV! Throw that EDTV in the bedroom or something and get a new HD display, which for your distance, and similar to mine at about 7 feet, a nice 50" 1080P Plasma! Get the Full HD signal your paying for. Now THAT would be a huge improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having a HD signal for only a few days, even highly compressed as you mentioned looks beautiful on my EDTV. Some of the channels look better than a lot of the DVD's I view. I don't have Blu Ray yet as someone told me there would be little if any improvement on my set.

Yes I really like not having the picture stretched as I had prior to last Saturday when I went to a HD signal.

For me with no money available right now to upgrade to a larger screen 1080p, I really love what I am seeing on my EDTV at this time. My Panasonic really has performed well over the past 2.5 years even on a SD signal. I don't consider it a waste for my HD signal at all!

Thanks for your comments though.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
dangerousdave,

I'm still viewing my Zenith EDTV as the main set (soon to be switched for a 54V10) after four years and couldn't agree more. Back in '05, the 50U was the main competitor under consideration but lacked any known service menu entry at the time. If you sit at the appropriate distance the eyeball has difficulty resolving the rez difference. Back in the day, folks always harped on pixel size of EDTV but I never wanted to pay $3500 or more for 720P in a 42" screen. So I get more color banding than I'd like? I have calibrated my Zenith Z42 keeping it in proper adjustment for the entire 15700 hours or so and people still comment on the PQ including a slew of Comcast techs through the years (Cablecard issues).

Your comments take me back to the first time I saw an HD broadcast of the Tonight show on it and I knew I'd made a wise choice. Some HD channels simply pop off the screen and you know the result is from not only receiving a clean signal but also a higher rez one. Even though these panels are natively 480P, they easily show the difference when downrezzing a higher rez signal. I find mine really prefers 1080i over 720P likely due to the different scaling ratios. Also this Zenith passes every test on the HQV disc with flying colors.

One question? How did you avoid seeing HD on your set all these years? Didn't you have local HDs?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/16957943

One question? How did you avoid seeing HD on your set all these years? Didn't you have local HDs?

I'm not dangerousdave, but I can answer that question. Anyone who uses anything but an antenna or basic cable with a QAM tuner gets HD blocked from their set unless they pay extra for an "HD package" and the box rental to go with it. You would be surprised by the number of people who have a relatively expensive "digital" cable or sat package, and have never seen HD on their set..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/16957943

dangerousdave,

My location did not allow me to receive over the air (antenna) signals so no HD and I haven't had the money to switch DISH to HD. The picture does "pop off" of the screen even at 4-5 feet. I am going to wait until I have more money available to purchase a 50" + plasma as I really enjoy my EDTV right now. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I've always wanted an EDTV to view DVDs with. I'm not a big fan of upscaling and I'd like to tinker around with that.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
You are confused. An EDTV displaying a 1080i signal produces significantly better PQ than when displaying a 480i signal. If you want to know why...get thee to the archives. The issue was discussed in depth about three-four years ago.

The Panny EDTV's were spectacular with HD signals. I have a PD50 hanging on the dining room wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDragon /forum/post/16952545

I don't know what your watching or if Dish really has that BAD of a SD signal, but 480P is the SAME as 480i. Exact same resolution. One is Progressively displayed and the other Interlaced. In fact it's IMPOSSIBLE for your Plasma to display a Interlaced Picture. Plasma's are Progressive Displays and always shows a 480P picture, doesn't matter if it got a 480i signal or a 480P signal. Plasma's and LCD's no matter what the Input source signal is, 480i, 480P, 720P, 1080i, or 1080P will Display the picture at it's own Native Resolution. For a EDTV display, that's 480P, no matter what Input you give it!!! In fact playing a DVD should give you just as good of a picture as a HD signal. The DVD player is outputting 480P, and the HD signal is down converted to 480P. Now some DVD's are pretty BAD, but I've have a few I thought were HD quality the detail was so good, even though it's the same 480P.

It comes down to the compression used and the Quality of the Source. Satellite is highly compressed!!! So I can Imagine starting with a better quality HD source and then down converted to 480P to what is now a ED picture will look somewhat better. I can think off the top of my head for example the James Bond Movies, the older ones, Never looked the best on DVD, but with all the clean up work done to restore the movies to new like Condition and then putting them on Blu-Ray, the Detail, and Colors are Amazing, though I'm sure a New DVD Version also would of looked even better also.

Back in the day, a EDTV Plasma was much cheaper then a 720P HDTV was. With the Limited HD back then it wasn't a big deal. You could at least get Max performance with a DVD player that could output a picture progressively. The one thing from going from a SD TV signal to a HD TV signal, is with HD your now at least can take advantage of a true 16x9 picture format on your display instead of stretching the SD TV picture out which would give you a better looking picture that way. Other then that it seems like a waste of HD service. It's time for a new HDTV! Throw that EDTV in the bedroom or something and get a new HD display, which for your distance, and similar to mine at about 7 feet, a nice 50" 1080P Plasma!

I went from a 42" 1080i CRT Rear Projection HDTV (Because I couldn't even afford a EDTV Plasma at the time 7 years ago) to my current 50" 1080P Panasonic Plasma. Get the Full HD signal your paying for. Now THAT would be a huge improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg /forum/post/16971117

I've always wanted an EDTV to view DVDs with. I'm not a big fan of upscaling and I'd like to tinker around with that.

A couple years ago I would have agreed that EDTV's were the best for standard def dvd watching, but upscaling (either player or tv) has progressed enough to even things out. With Blu-rays and an increasing amount of HD channels, there really isn't a reason for ED anymore...but you still aren't missing a lot when you feed it a good signal.
(still have one in a guest bedroom)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Matter of fact I recently posted on another thread about viewing Blu-Ray on my EDTV and very much liking the results. Sort of like a Superbit DVD but better. These panels just excel at downrezzing hi quality input. Of course a lot depends on the transfer ... they can be so hit or miss.

I'd like to give a big shout out to dangerousdave for starting this thread.

Even dinosaurs can use some love once in a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.