AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the manual says that the tv guide info can be lost if power goes out, but I'm really upset that it did this! Not sure how long my power went out, but my old E80 recorder (of course no stupid tv guide on it) and vcrs kept all their recording listings. Now I have to wait probably all day/nite before it downloads the guide again. Luckily this was my bedroom unit, so it only had a couple recordings scheduled. That will change when the fall season starts.

I don't understand how they can design this thing to be interrupted with power outages when it has a hard drive and flash memory is so cheap and doesn't need power to save its data!

I wrote Panasonic about this but it will probably fall on deaf ears.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic
I know the manual says that the tv guide info can be lost if power goes out, but I'm really upset that it did this! Not sure how long my power went out, but my old E80 recorder (of course no stupid tv guide on it) and vcrs kept all their recording listings. Now I have to wait probably all day/nite before it downloads the guide again. Luckily this was my bedroom unit, so it only had a couple recordings scheduled. That will change when the fall season starts.

I don't understand how they can design this thing to be interrupted with power outages when it has a hard drive and flash memory is so cheap and doesn't need power to save its data!

I wrote Panasonic about this but it will probably fall on deaf ears.
Before you get mad, you may want to check how long the power actually went out. The Pioneer will hold memory for at least a brief outage but can't tell you about more than 30 seconds. Personally I think all of these units should be able to back up settings to... get this... the hard drive since there is one in the units!!!!

Let me ask you this though - how do you like the EH50? I notice it does have a firewire connector in there. How does it perform for you? Video quality? I'm trying to get hold of a manual to see the feature set and functionality. I also know that this model is supposed to have been out for quite a while but, if it works and all the bugs are fixed then I'm willing to give it a go.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
Before you get mad, you may want to check how long the power actually went out. The Pioneer will hold memory for at least a brief outage but can't tell you about more than 30 seconds. Personally I think all of these units should be able to back up settings to... get this... the hard drive since there is one in the units!!!!

Let me ask you this though - how do you like the EH50? I notice it does have a firewire connector in there. How does it perform for you? Video quality? I'm trying to get hold of a manual to see the feature set and functionality. I also know that this model is supposed to have been out for quite a while but, if it works and all the bugs are fixed then I'm willing to give it a go.
Sorry slinky, but the EH50 does not have DV in. Maybe the next model will have it. Here's a link to the manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMREH50.PDF

My Panasonic E-500 has gone a brief power outage also without losing the TV Guide information.

RG

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I unplug it and plug it back in, it's ok. But like I said, my 10 yr old vcr can hold its recording schedule. Sure that's alot less than all the tv guide channel info but so what? With today's technology, they should have that info written to flash memory. And its unacceptable that I have to wait almost 24 hrs before I get the channel guide again.

And for your question, I have been happy with it so far. It's LP recording is good. But I haven't put it through a large amount of recording since it's my bedroom machine. I remember early on it seemed like the tv guide info was real slow in getting data for some channels. Eg, I like to record Ebert & Roeper on Sat nite and I would still see no info on it or most of the after 10pm abc shows even that Sat morning. And if I have it scheduled on a weekly basis, if the info doesn't match the weekly schedule program title, it won't record it. That's a big flaw to me, although some people would say it's correct to not record it. But I mentioned in another post when nbc was doing 1 hr finales, like will&grace 1 week and joey the next, that if I had that 7-8pm block scheduled to record, it would miss part of it because of that "algorithm". If the manual programming was as good as on my E80H, I wouldn't even both with my tv guide, plus it doesn't show thingslike local Comcast sports (White SOx). I have to manually enter the channel by the keypad since it's not in the guide. But why, when it's on their internet listing?

OK, I'll stop ranting now.

Sunday nite and still can't record things with the guide for Thurs, do thye only send 1 days of data at a time?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara
Sorry slinky, but the EH50 does not have DV in. Maybe the next model will have it. Here's a link to the manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMREH50.PDF

My Panasonic E-500 has gone a brief power outage also without losing the TV Guide information.

RG
Ah yes, my mistake about the model and the issues, thanks rgazzara. I think it is the DMR-E95HS that has a DV in. I'm wondering how similar these models are and whether it is one to consider for purchase. Hmm... it is a little off topic but Panasonic owners may know this...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
Ah yes, my mistake about the model and the issues, thanks rgazzara. I think it is the DMR-E95HS that has a DV in. I'm wondering how similar these models are and whether it is one to consider for purchase. Hmm... it is a little off topic but Panasonic owners may know this...
Both the E-95 and the E-500 have DV in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.