AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just joined the site! i do have experience in home theater i was a custom installer dealt with pioneers mostly since they are the best plasma. but i dont have that kind of money so im looking into getting a Panasonic G10 ill be doing a lot of gaming with my ps3 on it a little worried about IR and Flashing. I just want to know your thoughts. Iv also been looking at the Sony Xbr7 40" they are both around 1000 bux. I dont really want a Lcd due to i just dont like the picture all that well its not as clear as a plasma not as good blacks. thanks for reading will appreciate your responses.

Kyle

·
Registered
824 Posts
Pick your poison:

LCD

+ Clearest picture

+ Can be better in rooms with a lot of light. (Some of the more glossy LCD screens can have some off putting reflections of their own, in a bright room, though...)

- Worst blacks (some newer LCDs have greatly improved black levels, but there's still some crushing going on in their attempts...)

- Motion blur (regardless of whether you enable AMP/MotionFlow at 120 or 240hz, it's still there...)

- Higher priced.

Plasma:

+ Good Blacks

+ Better at motion

+ Cheaper

- Not great for rooms with a lot of light.

- Possible image retention

- Possible phosphor trailing

- Not as clear of a picture due to "dithering"

Again, each technology has it's pluses and minuses. There isn't a perfect one yet. You just buy what you can deal with.

I probably missed some pros/cons up there too. But it's merely to illustrate that, either way, you'll probably be dissatisfied in one way or another... LIVE WITH IT!
Or as the guy said up there, stick with your CRT... (Those have issues too...)

·
Registered
332 Posts
You should switch for a XBOX 360 if you want better picture & take advantage of a plasma screen.

PS3 games look blurred in 1080P & a plasma will give motion sickness if you play games like Devil May Cry 4 since it use adaptative anti-aliasing(lower resolution by half on the honrizontal line & switch line. Kind of look interlaced without leaving the black line). Motion advantage is spoiled on most cases.

Thus I recommend a LCD that use 1080P to reduce the effect of blurring. Though it still blurred at the end. At least it have bluray capability.

The G10 doesn't have much problem in a light room since the brightness is nearly as good as a LCD.

Like the above mentioned the PS3 is at a disadvantage by using a plasma. The good solution is a LCD with 120hz interpolation capability which will deliver better experience overall giving to your console system capability.

·
Registered
958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis108 /forum/post/16984443

i also have a xbox360. but like i said it is going to be for movies and gaming i actully have a lcd right now, but it was a cheapy.

Vizio or Westinghouse? If so, any LCD or plasma over the 1K mark would be much better than what you currently have!

By "flashing" do you mean phosphor lag on plasma? If so, the G10 will exhibit "flashing". Sounds like you already want to purchase a plasma though... so go for it!

·
Registered
958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 /forum/post/16983840

Pick your poison:

LCD

+ Clearest picture

+ Can be better in rooms with a lot of light. (Some of the more glossy LCD screens can have some off putting reflections of their own, in a bright room, though...)

- Worst blacks (some newer LCDs have greatly improved black levels, but there's still some crushing going on in their attempts...)

- Motion blur (regardless of whether you enable AMP/MotionFlow at 120 or 240hz, it's still there...)

- Higher priced.

Plasma:

+ Good Blacks

+ Better at motion

+ Cheaper

- Not great for rooms with a lot of light.

- Possible image retention

- Possible phosphor trailing

- Not as clear of a picture due to "dithering" and "PWM noise"
- ABL - screen dimming when brighter content is displayed

Again, each technology has it's pluses and minuses. There isn't a perfect one yet. You just buy what you can deal with.

I probably missed some pros/cons up there too. But it's merely to illustrate that, either way, you'll probably be dissatisfied in one way or another... LIVE WITH IT!
Or as the guy said up there, stick with your CRT... (Those have issues too...)

You missed a couple!

I completely agree with your statement of "buy what you can deal with." However, I've seen some horrible black levels on some plasma TVs and some superb black levels on a few high end LCDs!

·
Registered
276 Posts
G10 + PS3 was amazing when I tried it. For gaming, plasma was the right setup. Also, from the floor model i used, there was absolutely 0 IR or phosphor trailing.

Oh and off topic, but I don't know why people think the PS3 has a blurred image at 1080p. My PS3 at that res makes a much sharper picture then my Xbox 360 over component at 1080p.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleh19 /forum/post/16986665

G10 + PS3 was amazing when I tried it. For gaming, plasma was the right setup. Also, from the floor model i used, there was absolutely 0 IR or phosphor trailing.

Oh and off topic, but I don't know why people think the PS3 has a blurred image at 1080p. My PS3 at that res makes a much sharper picture then my Xbox 360 over component at 1080p.

The PS3 does not produce a blurred image at 1080p. It's a top of the line blu-ray player. Movies and games look fantastic. Better than a 360 for many games. Obviously the person posting this either doesn't have one or doesn't know how to set it up properly.

·
Registered
824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 /forum/post/16987054

for gaming a lcd will give a sharper ,into the game feeling.

... while reducing said sharpness when fast action happens.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/16986749

The PS3 does not produce a blurred image at 1080p. It's a top of the line blu-ray player. Movies and games look fantastic. Better than a 360 for many games. Obviously the person posting this either doesn't have one or doesn't know how to set it up properly.

The PS3 sometimes is reduced to using a blur filter to approximate anti-aliasing in games where the 360 is able to do the real deal.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/16986749

Top of the line bluray player????

Biased much? It is no different from the old PS2. There's no option in it & only have play & pause. You should try PowerDVD which feature tremendous ammount of option & picture processing effect.

Games look blurred in 1080P since the PS3 use Bilinear scaling on their 720P games & nearly none of them are 1080P native. On the other side the XBOX 360 feature a scaler that look more like Trilinear, bicubic scaling.

I would also mention about anti-aliasing(Multisample(360) vs Quicunx(PS3)) process that is different on both system. Quicunx=blurred & that's bad not to add up the bilinear scaling that make it worst overall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys we dont need to have a console war i play ps3 way more then my 360 so you dont need to tell me which one i should like better. trying to figure out what tv to get for my blu ray movies and ps3 games.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 /forum/post/16987418

... while reducing said sharpness when fast action happens.

true,but thats is why we have 120hz and 240hz,i know tvs like samsung have introduced high input lag,but sony fairs much better and i play all kinds of action FPS games ,it never distracts or have any effect on the outcome of the game.

besides there are more often static or slowing moving images.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis108 /forum/post/16983338

Hi guys just joined the site! i do have experience in home theater i was a custom installer dealt with pioneers mostly since they are the best plasma. but i dont have that kind of money so im looking into getting a Panasonic G10 ill be doing a lot of gaming with my ps3 on it a little worried about IR and Flashing. I just want to know your thoughts. Iv also been looking at the Sony Xbr7 40" they are both around 1000 bux. I dont really want a Lcd due to i just dont like the picture all that well its not as clear as a plasma not as good blacks. thanks for reading will appreciate your responses.

Kyle

Contrary to what you may hear IR is not an issue anymore. Go with the G10.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Phosphor trailing is a much bigger issue than IR for Plasma when it comes to gaming for me.

Sure LCD's blur, but I prefer that to the trailing on Plasmas which give games a weird jerky way of showing motion like when you turn the camera. Other than that I sure do miss the blacks of my 3 year Plasma, blew my SONY LCD out of the water back then.

But since nothing can do 0IRE black right now I know even the best Kuro plasma would bother me on that front. Best thing is using ones eyes to see which flaws one is more likely to live comfortably with.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis108 /forum/post/16989119

Alright guys we dont need to have a console war i play ps3 way more then my 360 so you dont need to tell me which one i should like better. trying to figure out what tv to get for my blu ray movies and ps3 games.

I already have answered. A LCD display.

edit:

kk, I won't lie but the G10 isn't fit for Bluray playback. 48hz look like crap on the G10 & 120hz or 240hz LCD panel will feature better experience. The G10 only feature 3:2 pulldown at 60hz & a 48hz option with flickering.

Bluray look bad & PS3 games will look bad on the G10. Well the V10 on the other hand support 96hz playback.

So here you answer.

I own a G15 & not the G10, but I know that it will not fit your need.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts