AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new firmware is available for download via VireaCast or the Menu Screen (Net Work Module)

My set has the 2.8.1 THX fix which restored the THX picture adjustments to their factory defaults.

The new firmware DOES NOT do the reset!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rick, what's new or fixed in the firmware update? BTW I also had a tech come in and apply the THX fix. I don't really see the difference and I'm wondering if there is a way to check if the patch was really applied? Do you know how to do that?

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
Is it a firmware patch or a software update? If i understand things correctly, firmware is software that controls the hardware, while software is the user application. Panasonic seems to use the word Firmware for SD Card patches that address various issues, but they use the word Software for the Viera Cast downloads, like the new Viera Cast interface and the addition of Pandora. If this download were firmware that corrects a particular issue, wouldn't they call it firmware instead of software? I can't remember if it was ever verified that the recent 1.28 Software download corrected THX or not, or if the fix had to come in the form of an SD card patch.

And are you sure about that version number? The Viera Cast download i did last night is version 0190-2010, which translates to 1.29 (not 2.9) if i'm converting it correctly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did the update last night. From what I've seen the update upgraded the VieraCast user GUI and added 5 new services, 2 of which seem to be in German language.

The 3 english services are:

1. Pandora. not available in Canada

2. FOX Sports which is not working yet. I bet it won't be available in Canada either...

3. And Twitter which is not working yet

The VieraCast GUI upgrade added 2 new layers to the VieraCast menu (layers are surperposed in depth 3D). For me the default layer still has the original services except Bloomberg. The second layer have the Boomberg service and the 2 new german services. Le VieraCast settings tool is hosted alone on the third layer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am still waiting for the new network cameras that are supposed to work with these televisions: network cameras BL-C210A and BL-C230A.

Panasonic e mailed that these were supposed to be available "sometime in the future".

Does it look like the update has any relevance for a new interface or something like that? If so, then maybe these cameras will be coming out soon.

It would be nice to just be able to use the television to monitor the front door, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I installed the new firmware.

I have Pandora on my iPod Touch and it let me log into my account easily. It was really nice to have the music playing. The audio quality seemed excellent. I guess they want to make money by the user buying the music but the selection is so good that I do not see myself doing that.

Rockabilly Revivial, Techno, Spa and I am all set.

My son put on the Modest Mouse channel which was okay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts