AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could give some tips on how to navigate the service menu, as in what button will access which menus?

I entered the service menu today to check the hours, and I had no idea what I was doing. I pressed number 1 on the remote and it took me to the contrast menu. I then pressed -volume on the remote and the number went down to 223, yet I have no idea what it was to begin with. I know it was 200 something...

How do people know what to do in the service menu? Are there tutorials somewhere that let you know what buttons to press? Also, is there a master reset to put everything back on the factory settings?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't go into the service menu if you have no idea what you are doing. You just changed a value of something and have no idea what it did.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I created this thread. To get some idea of what I'm doing, and at least learn how to check the hours without screwing anything up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And could someone with a G10 or G15 tell me what the default contrast setting is in the service menu so I can put mine back? I do know that's accessed by pressing 1 on the remote. I'm afraid to try anything else without knowing what button does what.

I don't notice any difference after changing it, so I don't think it's off by much.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You can try this but I haven't tried it myself. I don't know what it will do. Use at your own risk. It was posted by someone in the G series thread at the top of this forum.

to reset the set, power on the tv, hold the menu button on the remote and at the same time hold down the volume minus button on the tv, after about 5 seconds you will see a screen with information come up, at this point hold down the power button on the front of the set until it turns off, then unplug the main power for 30 seconds plug back up and it's like you unboxed it for the first time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I just saw that in another thread and tried it.

It pretty much reset everything but the service menu and had no affect on the firmware. I had to redo the clock and channel settings, etc. like when I first turned on the TV.

It would be nice of there was a list somewhere of all the service menu defaults. I searched and found a PDF of how to navigate the service menu on another forum, but it had no defaults. Just how to change values, check the hours, etc.

Apparently the SM can't be reset. Just modified.

BTW, the PDF I found was for the S1 series, and the SM appears to be identical to the G15.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmp /forum/post/18204674

Why don't you just press the +Volume button at the same menu spot. It will put it back where you started.

That's the problem. I was trying to turn the volume down on the TV, and it ended up dropping the contrast value instead. So I'm not exactly sure where it started. I was looking at the bottom of the screen for the volume bar to appear before I noticed the numbers going down.

LOL.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC74 /forum/post/18204564

Yeah, I just saw that in another thread and tried it.

It pretty much reset everything but the service menu and had no affect on the firmware. I had to redo the clock and channel settings, etc. like when I first turned on the TV.

It would be nice of there was a list somewhere of all the service menu defaults. I searched and found a PDF of how to navigate the service menu on another forum, but it had no defaults. Just how to change values, check the hours, etc.

Apparently the SM can't be reset. Just modified.

BTW, the PDF I found was for the S1 series, and the SM appears to be identical to the G15.

There are no defaults - every unit has it's own unique settings. Did you not write down the original values before pressing buttons?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18205349

There are no defaults - every unit has it's own unique settings. Did you not write down the original values before pressing buttons?

Sure I did. That's why I created this thread. Silly me; let me go check my list...

It wasn't my intention to change the setting. At the time I was unaware that the volume button would change it. I was trying to turn down the TV volume as I stated above.

No harm done I suppose since I see no difference at all in PQ, just like when I change any other picture setting a hair.

Does anyone know if you can do any real damage to the panel by playing with the SM picture settings (after writing down the original values of course)? At least I know how to do it now after downloading the PDF.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't think you did any harm personally. Perhaps you could get a couple of offsets from someone with the same set not just the one you changed & compare 2 or 3 numbers to figure out a value? Knowing a brightness value could help with a contrast value for example.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster /forum/post/18218744

I don't think you did any harm personally. Perhaps you could get a couple of offsets from someone with the same set not just the one you changed & compare 2 or 3 numbers to figure out a value? Knowing a brightness value could help with a contrast value for example.

I was hoping someone could post the SM contrast setting on their G10/G15 so I could compare. Just enter the service menu and hit 1 to see the value.

I know randy said they're all different, but it would at least give me a ballpark figure to go on. I'm not entirely convinced that they're all different without seeing a few people post their factory default settings. I can't imagine people at the factory going through every single setting in the service menu and adjusting them. It seems more logical to me that they're all pretty much the same since they're all the same panel.

Anyone? Again I don't see any difference in the picture. I just want to make sure I didn't accidentally go too far when I pressed the volume button. Even if for some reason the contrast values are different on every G10/G15 set I would assume they're pretty close.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apparently no one is willing to post their settings. I noticed when using my PS3, the SM contrast settings are at 000. They were at 200 something in SD mode...

Anyway, can someone please explain why the SM settings are different on every TV, if that's even true? People on this forum seem to insist that sets need to be calibrated to get the best picture. If Panasonic isn't calibrating them, why the hell would the settings be different from set to set? Aren't these mass-produced?

I can only assume that the settings are pretty much the same on all like models. Being no one will post their SM settings, I can't confirm it. But I see no reason why they'd be different.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC74 /forum/post/18271684

Apparently no one is willing to post their settings. I noticed when using my PS3, the SM contrast settings are at 000. They were at 200 something in SD mode...

Anyway, can someone please explain why the SM settings are different on every TV, if that's even true? People on this forum seem to insist that sets need to be calibrated to get the best picture. If Panasonic isn't calibrating them, why the hell would the settings be different from set to set? Aren't these mass-produced?

I can only assume that the settings are pretty much the same on all like models. Being no one will post their SM settings, I can't confirm it. But I see no reason why they'd be different.

My contrast is 000 on HD for all picture modes. My Service Menu values are below. My tv is way too dark in my opinion. I've tried every picture setting on the g15 owners thread and I still find it almost unwatchable in dark scenes. I'm hoping someone will tell me what I need to change below to make it brighter.

I haven't made any changes, these are my default values. Would someone with a good picture quality mind posting their values. thanks...

---Custom---

CONTRAST: 000

R-CUT: 80

G-CUT: 80

B-CUT: 80

R-DRV: CB

G-DRV: FC

B-DRV: C6

ALL-CUT: 80

ALL-DRV: FC

METHOD: 03 (method = 03 for all settings above)

COLOR TEMP: NORMAL

COLOR: 42

TINT: 00

SUB-BRT: 800

1 - 16 of 16 Posts