AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 42" panny used mainly for 60% gaming, 20% sports, 20% movies. It has taken me a while to narrow my purchase down to a manufacturer, but can't decide without information on the newer models.

I was originally looking at the g10 because it has excellent input lag and is cheap at $780. I know it has black level issues tho. Just how bad is it? Does it look terrible or just not as good as when it was new?

The G25(~$1000) should be a step up but haven't heard much about it yet. Does it warrant an extra 250 for this instead of the g10. The S2(~$750) isn't as good of a tv but is a bargain imo. Anyone have the G25 or S2? Any input lag tests? i have searched these forums and others, but haven't found much info on these newer models. Just wanted some opinions as to which to get.

Also, Im new to the forums. Is there a 'my posts' or 'my forums' so I can easily get back to my threads.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichnie /forum/post/18312404

I am looking for a 42" panny used mainly for 60% gaming, 20% sports, 20% movies. It has taken me a while to narrow my purchase down to a manufacturer, but can't decide without information on the newer models.

I was originally looking at the g10 because it has excellent input lag and is cheap at $780. I know it has black level issues tho. Just how bad is it? Does it look terrible or just not as good as when it was new?

The G25(~$1000) should be a step up but haven't heard much about it yet. Does it warrant an extra 250 for this instead of the g10. The S2(~$750) isn't as good of a tv but is a bargain imo. Anyone have the G25 or S2? Any input lag tests? i have searched these forums and others, but haven't found much info on these newer models. Just wanted some opinions as to which to get.

G25

Quote:
Also, Im new to the forums. Is there a 'my posts' or 'my forums' so I can easily get back to my threads.

Click on the UserCP tab then once you're in your Control Panel, you'll find the Subscribed Threads folder with your Subscriptions List. Just bookmark that list - it's all of your subscribed threads.

Welcome aboard !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18312659

G25

Click on the UserCP tab then once you're in your Control Panel, you'll find the Subscribed Threads folder with your Subscriptions List. Just bookmark that list - it's all of your subscribed threads.

Welcome aboard !

Yes that does seem to be the best tv out of the 3 by far. The infinite black and 5m:1 contrst are very attractive features. I was concerned with the input lag tho. I will be playing a lot of face paced fps. Do you know if the lag is comparable to the g10? Which is almost none existent from what I hear.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't see that before

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have info on the g25 input lag? Any tests, guitar hero calibrations? I'm not overly concerned, I just want to make sure its on par with the other plasmas before I spend $1200.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichnie /forum/post/18344214

Anyone have info on the g25 input lag? Any tests, guitar hero calibrations? I'm not overly concerned, I just want to make sure its on par with the other plasmas before I spend $1200.

I think some people tested Lag in the G20/G25 thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking to by the 50G25 for about $1300 and then I saw the 46G10 on Amazon for around $900. Now, since my room is fairly small, I am perfectly fine with the 46inch screen. I've read a lot of the forums here and they both seem to have negatives, but overall seem to rate highly.

From what I discern from all the threads, it would not be worth my $400 to get the newer set. Taking screen size out of the comparison, the image quality, options, and negatives all seem close.

Does any one have any final advice for me? Is there something that I am missing that would make me want to pick up the G25 so much more over the V10?

Thanks to all the amazing, helpful people on this forum.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRR1776 /forum/post/18347362

I was looking to by the 50G25 for about $1300 and then I saw the 46G10 on Amazon for around $900. Now, since my room is fairly small, I am perfectly fine with the 46inch screen. I've read a lot of the forums here and they both seem to have negatives, but overall seem to rate highly.

From what I discern from all the threads, it would not be worth my $400 to get the newer set. Taking screen size out of the comparison, the image quality, options, and negatives all seem close.

Does any one have any final advice for me? Is there something that I am missing that would make me want to pick up the G25 so much more over the V10?

Thanks to all the amazing, helpful people on this forum.

If it's a financial issue, I'd go with the 46G10.

Is 4" really that much of a difference? And it seems so far from what we've read that they'll both suffer from some of the same issues such as black level rise, only on a different scale, as all electronics have issues.

Personally, I'd save my $400 and go with the G10 if I was on a budget. If I had the means I'd wait for the V25. The biggest one.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichnie /forum/post/18344214

G25 should be the same or better than the G10 in this regard, I don't know why it wouldn't be given everything else. But check Randy's links.

Imo the G25 is worth the extra $400. Every set has negatives; black rising issue personally isn't a reason to not get it; and it's "better" or more gradual in the G25 if it's even as big an issue; which too early say. There are far, FAR more positives than negatives for the 2010 G20/25s over 2009 models.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC74 /forum/post/18347423

If it's a financial issue, I'd go with the 46G10.

Is 4" really that much of a difference? And it seems so far from what we've read that they'll both suffer from some of the same issues such as black level rise, only on a different scale, as all electronics have issues.

Personally, I'd save my $400 and go with the G10 if I was on a budget. If I had the means I'd wait for the V25. The biggest one.

162 sq. inches / 18% larger; so, yeah, I would say so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWindow /forum/post/18347457

G25 should be the same or better than the G10 in this regard, I don't know why it wouldn't be given everything else. But check Randy's links.

Imo the G25 is worth the extra $400. Every set has negatives; black rising issue personally isn't a reason to not get it; and it's "better" or more gradual in the G25 if it's even as big an issue; which too early say. There are far, FAR more positives than negatives for the 2010 G20/25s over 2009 models.

Thats what I would have thought but, according to hdtvtest.co.uk the g20 is up to 16ms slower than their f96, which is 30ms. The g10 was up to 21ms faster tho.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichnie /forum/post/18348551

Thats what I would have thought but, according to hdtvtest.co.uk the g20 is up to 16ms slower than their f96, which is 30ms. The g10 was up to 21ms faster tho.

16ms can be a lot depends on you. But article did say 6/10 tests it was 16ms lower. So 4 times it matched. Still, average is lower. Well... I haven't looked at G10 reviews re: that unless I missed it didn't mention that in this article. Also, these are the UK version; although that shouldn't make a difference but it could. I don't know those Lag tests just seem like I'd need more tests run on G25 to be satisfied it's truly on average lower lag input than G10 as a factor to go with G10 or even S2.

I'd still lean towards G25; but again I 80% Movies/TV/Sports, 20% gaming for me. I will say that the motion for Sports and Movie watching will be superior for the Plasma than LED and G25 is better than G10 in that regard; nothing light years, but enough for me. If it's between S2 though and G10 due to game lag, I'd go G10 all the way; =) S2 seems like a dunk when compared to spending a few hundred more for far superior G20/25. OR even G10 =)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a Panny 50" S2 last week. I've been playing Bad Co 2 (x360) on it since then. I cant imagine how the G10 or 25 would make the picture look better than it is....it's absolutely incredible. Same for blu-ray movies.

i do have a gripe though for the 720p tv broadcast...it's very grainy. The 1080i broadcast picture is superb.

I went with the S2 because i couldnt get my company discount on the G10 or G25.

So for gaming & blu-ray, i give the S2 a high thumbs up.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/18433510

In a similar boat - considering a 42s2 or 42g10...

have 2010 owners seen any rising black levels?

Yes,

D-nice saw after 375 hours on a G20, a rise of about .002fl rise from .007 to .009

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist /forum/post/18433639

Yes,

D-nice saw after 375 hours on a G20, a rise of about .002fl rise from .007 to .009

which would lead one to think that rising black levels are a given and the argument towards a g10 over an s2 would be more convincing, right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts