AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new 50" Plasma, and i've narrowed it down to two choices.. The LG 50PK550 or the 50" Panasonic G20. Now, in Canada where I live, I can pick up the PK550 for $799, but if I want the G20 I'd have to go over to the states to get it, and it's going to cost me $1164, given I don't get charged duty (If I do, it bumps up the price to $1307.) Now, answer me this, is the G20 worth the extra $365/$500? I've heard good things about both the sets, but since I'm using it mainly for gaming, the PK550's input lag has me worried. Also, it's going opposite to a window, but there's blinds on it, and just maybe some light could seep through and wreck my watching experience with the LG.. But, besides the better input lag and less glare, is the G20 worth the extra cash for just the picture?

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Toaster /forum/post/19610180

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new 50" Plasma, and i've narrowed it down to two choices.. The LG 50PK550 or the 50" Panasonic G20. Now, in Canada where I live, I can pick up the PK550 for $799, but if I want the G20 I'd have to go over to the states to get it, and it's going to cost me $1164, given I don't get charged duty (If I do, it bumps up the price to $1307.) Now, answer me this, is the G20 worth the extra $365/$500? I've heard good things about both the sets, but since I'm using it mainly for gaming, the PK550's input lag has me worried. Also, it's going opposite to a window, but there's blinds on it, and just maybe some light could seep through and wreck my watching experience with the LG.. But, besides the better input lag and less glare, is the G20 worth the extra cash for just the picture?

Why do u have to go across the border for the G20 ???

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Toaster /forum/post/19611307

Because, the G20 is $1500 here, it's much cheaper over there, even with duty.

And where do you live ????, if I can get it for you for a few $100 less??, I might be able to get it for $1200 - $1300 for you, depending where you live, I will ask my guy tomorrow and let you know what I can get it for and post or send you a PM, no promise, I will just ask.

When I bought my 6400 he said he had much more room on the Panny, I think he has more of a sell through in $$$ ??? will LYK, might not be worth it to you if you live too far away, I'm in Toronto,

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 /forum/post/19615936

I prefer the G25 but I think in this case, you are getting the LG at a much better price. Go with the LG.

The G20/25 is the same set other than the swivel base, one is just inclusive to differant stores I believe,

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Toaster /forum/post/19617893

Thanks for the replys, but as far as just PQ goes, is the G20 a lot better? Given all of it's advantages, is it really worth ~$500 more or at that point should I just stick with the LG?

Should be very similar. They both are very good tv's. G25's have some slight advantages but the PQ in a dim room might even favor LG. They keep their black levels as well which some people have had issues with Panasonic's black rises and floating blacks. I trust a Panasonic more based on Consumer Reports showing a doubled failure rate for LG. I think you are overpaying for a G25 by $300-$500. That's what makes it obvious that the LG would be the better deal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have seen both side by side, all things considered you would be hard pressed to tell the differance in PQ with both sets.

They both have pros' and cons's but at the end of the day it's $300 - $500 more for the Panny, also you need to live with your choice, you must buy the set that appeals to you the most, being looks, reviews, or whatever your gut feeling teels you to do.

I don't think you will get a definite answer here as there are Panny lovers and LG lovers, if the differance in $$$ is worth it to you to buy the Panny so be it, if not buy the LG, they are both great sets, how much $$$ do you really want to spend, buy the one thats your head tells you to buy and live with your choice.

I pulled my hair out for 2 mths trying to decide to the point I would lay awake at night thinking about it, the more I read reviews and read these posts I got more confused, you will not make a mistake with either set, good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.