AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this on Gizmodo's coverage of CES...an interesting tidbit I found while researching the Panasonic DSnap AV100 camcorder which records mpeg2 to SD cards...

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/even..._panasonic.php

The eye catching text was this:

"During the keynote they demonstrated a simmilar prototype that captured HDTV onto a 4GB SD card"

Can anyone translate how many seconds of 720p or 1080i HD you'd get into 4GB? For comparison, the existing SD version of the product gets 10 minutes of full DVD resolution mpeg2 onto a 512MB SD card...

Anyway, thought some of you might want to know about this.

TM

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody
Just found this on Gizmodo's coverage of CES...an interesting tidbit I found while researching the Panasonic DSnap AV100 camcorder which records mpeg2 to SD cards...

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/even..._panasonic.php

The eye catching text was this:

"During the keynote they demonstrated a simmilar prototype that captured HDTV onto a 4GB SD card"

Can anyone translate how many seconds of 720p or 1080i HD you'd get into 4GB? For comparison, the existing SD version of the product gets 10 minutes of full DVD resolution mpeg2 onto a 512MB SD card...

Anyway, thought some of you might want to know about this.

TM

This camcorder isn't a prototype -- I got one in October when they became available -- and it's SD *not* HD. It records to SD cards in MPEG2 format (DVD Ready) at a maximum opf 6Mbps. The quality is almost that of MiniDV.

I bought this as a second camcorder *have a Sony MiniDV TRV-950) to be able to shoot more casual video and archive it directly to DVD. The files, with a simple rename to ".mpg" drop right into most DVD authoring software so you can author DVD's *very* easily!

I highly recommend it!

Aaron

PS - just saw the additional text about HD capability. If SD video can only fit 10 minutes in high quality on a 512mb SD card (80 minutes on a 4gb card) I would expect only about 15-20 minutes on a 4gb card.... (HD is ~about 10gb per hour)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I hope this HD prototype will make it to the market soon.

At least, it is an indication of things to come. I bet Apple is looking into it but with using ipod type hard drives instead of SD memory.

Time to move on from minidv tape to hdd storage for smaller, same or better quality camcorders.

·
Premium Member
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aaron,

The HD version *is* a prototype. Please edit your message. The one you bought, as you pointed out, is the SD version which has been on the market for a few months. I've played with it (the Panasonic DSnap AV100) and it's pretty neat and very small! Impressive. But even more impressive would be an HD version, which is why I posted here.

MAB, I agree with you...1-2" hard drives are the way to go over solid state media...it seems like the $/GB ratio will always be better in hard drives, even mini ones...

TM

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
As to the question of how much HD video could you fit into 4 GB. The answer depends on how you set the MPEG II compression, but at the HD broadcast standard rate you could get approx. 25 to 30 minutes of HD video on a 4 GB memory card. If they were to implement a more efficient compression codec such as Microsoft Windows Media Video version 9 then you could get an hour of HD with equivalent video quality.

Ron Jones

·
Premium Member
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ron. 25-30 minutes isn't so bad (assuming they include 4gb of storage with the camera...) compared to the 10 minutes of DVD quality you can get with the SD version on the 512 card that comes with the camera.

TM

·
Registered
639 Posts
I wonder why impossible to produce HD camcorder with 2.5" harddisk 5400-7200 rpm?

A lot of mp3 players with hdd now on market and already we have devices as Firestore for DVcam and tape need only for backup, imo.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I own the JVC HD10U High Def camcorder and from what I've read, canon, sony, jvc will make the standard very similar to the current JVC HD10 mpeg2 720p format. If that is the case, expect to fit about 30 min of .ts footage on a DVD. Actually I get closer to 25 min on a DVD.

But the real exciting news is the ability to convert using currently expensive software, the .ts footage into WMP9 and then you can fit 2 hours of 720p footage on to a DVD. (I can even convert other HD material into WMP9 footage using software like cineform aspect). But I'll be the first to admit that the WMP9 is noticably worse quality than the raw .ts files.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.