1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I think it's using the same stabilizer that's in the SDT750 and the TM750 so it might be a little better than the SD600 and TM700's but since the SD600 now costs only $500, you'll get a camcorder that has a faster lens, far better low light capabilities, far better colors, 1080 24p within 60i and last but not least, 1080 60p.

Your basically getting an infinite times better value for not much more money.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
OK, I admit I was going a bit too far now that I've seen the Cosco price. I should have looked before I posted what I did. When it comes to performance I meant everything I said but on the topic of value, that all depends.

Cosco has a special for only $300 if you buy right away. Yes the SD600 is a far, far better camcorder by a landslide but $300 is definitely not a bad price at all for the SDX1 so depending on your budget, you win either way.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...atchallpartial

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been wondering about the sdx1 also. I wasn't aware of the sd600...a little brother to the sd700. At 500 dollars the sd600 is worth a look compared to the 300 dollar sdx1. I briefly played with the sdx1 at costco.....its very light...almost too light. You wonder what corners they cut to reduce weight. Still, except for the zoom lens motors and the optical stabilizers there probably isn't much left that is mechanical that could break down. Speaking of mechanical....the s600 has a cooling fan that concerns me. Bearings on fans eventually go bad. Just ask all the people who purchased dlp tv sets and had to replace its mechanical color wheel.

I can see someone buying the sdx1 if they have kids and need the longer reach of the 18x lens. You know kids at the baseball/football games.

The sd600 will certainly give you sharper images no question about that. Still without a mic input it can't be used for serious shooting.

I may buy the sdx1 at cotsco but return it if panny shows off new camcorders next month at the consumer electronics show that are fanless.

·
Registered
633 Posts
EDIT: made a mistake my first draft. Assuming I can not get the SD600 for 500...Only aimed to spend 200 but raised it to 299 for sd60...

I actually have the SD60 currently on backorder at BH for 299.99, but I decided to go ahead and order the SDX1 from costco for the same price (have to pay tax, but there is a 8gb card also, pluse easier returns, so I call it the same).

I have pored over the specs, given nobody reliable has done an actual image quality analysis of SDX1.

Basically, they seem to have essentially the same lens, except for the reduction in zoom. They have all the same features, plus more for the SDX1. The sensors are the same size with same megapixels and fstops and mm widths all seem to be the same from what I have read, the ability to shoot 720p should be better for action shots...BUT

the effective megapixel count on the SDX1 is 1.93, where as the effective megapixels on the SD60 is 2.11.

This is my real concern. I think the SDX1 is probably better for my wife, so as to transmit photos to her family in Japan more easily, but I am concerned about what this .18 megapixel difference might imply.

Any knowledgeable men or women able to fill in what this truly means in terms of the differences

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.