AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm in need of buying a mid-range HD camcorder and have narrowed down my choices to the Panasonic HDC-TM90k and Sony HDR-CX160. These two seems to be pretty similar in terms of price, spec as well as performance.

However, I couldn't find any good comparison between the two anywhere on the net. I know both units are good performers, but would like to know whether anyone can shed some insight as to which one ultimately is better than the other. I'm interested in knowing how they compare against each other not just in terms of the video quality but also in terms of features they carry.

Any input in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vidura

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am torn between these 3:

Panasonic HDC-TM90K

Sony HDR-CX160

Canon HF R21 Vixia

I am totally new to camcorders. I am looking to buy one of these because we are having our first child and I'd like to film family events - birthdays, outdoors stuff, etc. I've narrowed it down to these three because of price, size of cmos sensor, and features. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!!!

P.S. I tried to list URL's to make it easier, but the site said no until I have 3 posts. Sorry.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You guys did check out the following post, right?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1328642

[BTW, the "lens" number (35mm effective focal length) in the chart is wrong for the CX160 - it should be 30mm.]

And when you "googled" with the camcorder model numbers as search terms you came up with this and this ?

And you have seen this comparison? Not the exact same models but they will have the same PQ.

Only the last link allows actual tests to be directly compared and none provides a blow-by-blow comparison of other aspects (handling, etc). You'll just have to look harder for that info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for your replies. I purchased the Panasonic TM90k and it seems the better one of the two. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts