AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried out the Canon HF S20 and the Panasonic HDC-TM700 about 9 months ago. I returned them both because it seemed like they were both somewhat lacking in different areas. The Panasonic had better picture quality (not a huge difference, but enough that I could see it upon close inspection), while I like just about everything else better on the Canon (better ergonomics, touch screen, and menu).

I'm getting to the point with my kids where I just need to buy a camcorder. I had high hopes for the Canon g10, but it is just too expensive.

How's the Panasonic HDC-TM900? Has it made any improvements in the areas I listed above?

It looks like the TM900 and the S20 are essentially the same price online. Which would you get, and why?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Theirs always the Canon M41 if the TM900 or S20 didn't work for you. Canon does have an S30 but it might be too similar to the S20 for you. Their is also the Sony CX560.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak /forum/post/20939480

I tried out the Canon HF S20 and the Panasonic HDC-TM700 about 9 months ago. I returned them both because it seemed like they were both somewhat lacking in different areas. The Panasonic had better picture quality (not a huge difference, but enough that I could see it upon close inspection), while I like just about everything else better on the Canon (better ergonomics, touch screen, and menu).

I'm getting to the point with my kids where I just need to buy a camcorder. I had high hopes for the Canon g10, but it is just too expensive.

How's the Panasonic HDC-TM900? Has it made any improvements in the areas I listed above?

It looks like the TM900 and the S20 are essentially the same price online. Which would you get, and why?

TM900 still has issues with the fan noise although I did read of a fix for that that had to do with the settings. I don't have mine any longer but would be great if true.

TM900 still great picture, excellent OIS. Ergonomics seemed ok to me but the menus are still sparse and less intuitive than Canon's.

It's also not all that great in true low light.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/20941096

TM900 still has issues with the fan noise although I did read of a fix for that that had to do with the settings. I don't have mine any longer but would be great if true.

TM900 still great picture, excellent OIS. Ergonomics seemed ok to me but the menus are still sparse and less intuitive than Canon's.

It's also not all that great in true low light.

Please tell me where did you read about the fan noise fix, and what is the fix?

Regards.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafko /forum/post/20942417

Regards.

Changing the mic from surround to 2 channel.

Not really a fix, you can still hear it in a quiet room

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafko /forum/post/20942417

Regards.

This is reposted from Camcorder Info, I can't test it but if you have the camcorder it's worth a try.

Bob Smith Posted 09:49 pm on 14-Jul-2011 14-Jul-2011

About fan noise: Some people hear it and some people don't. Here's my explanation. If you shoot with the camera in Intelligent Auto mode the mic is set to surround sound and AGC is turned on. With little ambient noise, the camera cranks up the gain and you hear the internal fan. If you put the camera in manual mode and change the mic setting to anything but surround sound (I use focus mic or stereo mode) then adjust the gain manually and fine tune the bass response (won't work in focus mic mode) you can greatly reduce or eliminate the fan noise. If you are super fussy, use headphones to set your audio. I have not tried a shotgun mic because all the ones I have are XLR but I have used a Sennheiser wireless lav mic on this camera and it sounds pretty good. It's just hard to set the levels because the VU meter on the TM900 is next to useless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts