AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic DMR-EH75VS HDD/DVD/VCR combo hooked up via component and HDMI to an Olevia 537H HDTV (LCD). I'm wondering if anyone else with a Panny HDD recorder has this problem.


I'm not sure what to call it but in colorful scenes there are short miliseconds of distortion that looks like vertical lines: a quick head turn, a hand movement, the flashing lights of a police car (esp. bad during CSI last week). It can't be motion artifacts; the cop car lights weren't moving.


I don't think it's always been like this; I think it's getting worse. I see it using both component and HDMI hookups. The hookups are directly to the TV (not via a receiver etc).

It doesn't happen on the DVD side -- or at least not enough to be annoying.

It doesn't happen with any other source (pre-recorded DVD, Moto Moxi 9022 DVR or OTA).


If my description doesn't make any sense, I can snap and post a photo.


Any thoughts?


barry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby /forum/post/0


I have a Panasonic DMR-EH75VS HDD/DVD/VCR combo hooked up via component and HDMI to an Olevia 537H HDTV (LCD). I'm wondering if anyone else with a Panny HDD recorder has this problem.


I'm not sure what to call it but in colorful scenes there are short miliseconds of distortion that looks like vertical lines: a quick head turn, a hand movement, the flashing lights of a police car (esp. bad during CSI last week). It can't be motion artifacts; the cop car lights weren't moving.


I don't think it's always been like this; I think it's getting worse. I see it using both component and HDMI hookups. The hookups are directly to the TV (not via a receiver etc).

It doesn't happen on the DVD side -- or at least not enough to be annoying.

It doesn't happen with any other source (pre-recorded DVD, Moto Moxi 9022 DVR or OTA).


If my description doesn't make any sense, I can snap and post a photo.


Any thoughts?


barry


Okay, here are a few questions that may help in pin-pointing the potential problem:


When exactly does it happen? When you watch TV thru the EH75? Is it via the EH75's RF-Tuner or Line-In? Or is it when you are watching recorded programs from the EH75's HDD? If yes, what is the recording mode? The Panasonic LP mode is the most sensitive to motion and other related artifacts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops /forum/post/0


Okay, here are a few questions that may help in pin-pointing the potential problem:


When exactly does it happen? When you watch TV thru the EH75? Is it via the EH75's RF-Tuner or Line-In? Or is it when you are watching recorded programs from the EH75's HDD? If yes, what is the recording mode? The Panasonic LP mode is the most sensitive to motion and other related artifacts...

I'm seeing it when using the tuner. The EH75 is being fed a signal bia a Moto STB, digital cable from Charter.

I don't think I can see it when watching live TV, but I don't do that very much.

I definitely see it on recorded programs from the HDD; and yes, it's much more noticeable on LP, but I've been using SP and even XP lately and still see it.

And in general, the PQ from the STB is not even close to that of the Moxi DVR. I probably should trade the STB in for a new one anyway (I've had it for years) because the sound is very buzzy, and maybe that might help as well.

barry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
First of all, to the encoding chips, flashing lights are the same as rapid motion in that it is a fast change in the picture which is difficult to compensate for in update frames. Second, as ncaahoops has said, as the record modes go, allowing more time per disk, the ability to accommodate rapid picture changes decreases greatly. So, exactly what input are you using, and what record mode (XP, SP, LP, EP6, EP8) are you set to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/0


First of all, to the encoding chips, flashing lights are the same as rapid motion in that it is a fast change in the picture which is difficult to compensate for in update frames. Second, as ncaahoops has said, as the record modes go, allowing more time per disk, the ability to accommodate rapid picture changes decreases greatly. So, exactly what input are you using, and what record mode (XP, SP, LP, EP6, EP8) are you set to?

Luke, see my second post above...

In addition, I watched another CSI recorded to DVD-RAM at XP and the problem, tho not as pronounced, is still visible.

The signal stream is cable out of the wall to STB (Moto DCT2000, I think) to the Panny via IN3. Panny connects to the TV via component (so my TV can handle stretching) and via HDMI (for movie DVDs).

Is this a question of how the Panny compresses an already compressed cable signal? Because I don't have this problem with OTA material or with recordings made on the Moxi DVR.

Could it be a problem with the STB? It's several years old, maybe 8 or 9. I've had it forever.

barry


EDIT: After further review.... when I turned my system on it happened to be a cartoon and the problem was very apparent, and this was not a recording (cable via STB via Panny to TV). I also played a DVD I recorded some months ago via the STB but recorded by a Panny DMR E55 to DVD-R, and it looks OK.

Tonight I'll bypass the STB and see what happens...

barry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
I think you have answered your own question. If it only happens with the STB, and the problem is new, or at the very least, progressive, and the STB is putting out something errant in the audio stream, it COULD also be putting out something extra in the video stream that is confusing the MPEG-2 encoding circuitry. The power supply in the STB might be failing in a way that produces these symptoms. I would try to swap boxes and see if that solves the problem. If it does not, then you need to look further.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top