AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Several months ago Panasonic announced a less than $2000.00 HDTV. Does anyone know the current status of this? I really don't follow the HW forums the way I should.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Great news. One more piece of the puzzle has fallen into place. Pricing pressure. Now if someone will just do a "cheap" stb.. That's still a fantasy I guess.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
This past weekend, I saw 2 HDTV ready sets at teh Sam's Wholesale Club in Alpharetta, GA for under $2k. One was a Panny 16:9 55" set and the other was a Toshiba 4:3 55" set. Both were priced at $1,999 without a STB. This is the cheapest I've seen at retail....and these only appeared recently at Sams's.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The mitsubishi WT 46807 is being advertised in the D.C. area for $1999 as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Burl:
This past weekend, I saw 2 HDTV ready sets at teh Sam's Wholesale Club in Alpharetta, GA for under $2k. One was a Panny 16:9 55" set and the other was a Toshiba 4:3 55" set. Both were priced at $1,999 without a STB. This is the cheapest I've seen at retail....and these only appeared recently at Sams's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
RMP in KY-

What do you think of the store demo model? I've been waiting for this HDTV to come out before I made a purchase. How was the picture quality? Anyone know of any reviews of this tv yet?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
211 Posts
tp patrickhurt:

I can't say much about the PQ, as they were running it in "out-of-the-box" settings, and I wasn't really too interested in this unit anyway. One thing, it does NOT have a screen protector, which might be a problem if you have kids, pets, etc. It did, however, virtually eliminate reflections of the screen, which were very evident on a Tosh model sitting next to it.

Actually, I went into the store to check on availability of the RCA LCOS unit, I was told October, with no price available at this time. Curiously, they were showing a promotional DVD for the RCA LCOS set on a standard resolution set .

·
Registered
111 Posts
First off, I don't know anything about the HDTV or the online stores. But the Toshida 40H80 Widescreen HDTV is under $1550 at both Shop Sunshine and Crazy Eddie .

We could easily see a HDTV for under a grand within the next 12 months. Maybe then I can afford to replace my 31" GE.

------------------

Skar

-Lieutenant in the TiVo army

Pass da Nut!

[This message has been edited by skar (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ya know, I knew that prices were going to fall, but $1500 for a 40", and $2500 for a 65" is a lot more agressive than I thought we'd see. Christmas season should be really good this year, especially with NCAA football on all season, and some NBA to prime the pump. Anyone know when the next CEA sales numbers should be out?

Mike

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeKO:

Ya know, I knew that prices were going to fall, but $1500 for a 40", and $2500 for a 65" is a lot more agressive than I thought we'd see. Christmas season should be really good this year, especially with NCAA football on all season, and some NBA to prime the pump. Anyone know when the next CEA sales numbers should be out?

Mike
Actually, there are big sales in January too, leading up to the Superbowl.

But are most of the sets being described here widescreen sets? Panasonic of course have had 32" and 36" 4:3 models which did 1080i and the 32" retails for under $2k and the 36" have been discounted that much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.