AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
I am so there. There's absolutely no reason to think this unit has inferior performance to the BD-35 or BD-60 as I guess it is now called. I could use it as a home player that happens to also be a car/portable bluray/DVD/CD/SDHC card reader/Hi-res display machine too, and with 32GB SDHC cards now appearing at reasonable prices one could also think of it as an MP3 player as well.

Now I want it to have GPS too!
Panasonic? you listening?

·
Registered
277 Posts
+1. ...now how much...?....could use this in another room and bring everywhere.....

·
Registered
13,744 Posts
Different targeted market. Can you laptop do this: power up quickly, put in the BD movie disc and the movie starts to play all without touching keyboard or mouse? I actually saw a lot ppl rather carry around a portable DVD player than laptop.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/15541528

Different targeted market. Can you laptop do this: power up quickly, put in the BD movie disc and the movie starts to play all without touching keyboard or mouse? I actually saw a lot ppl rather carry around a portable DVD player than laptop.

+1.

Don't hate. The whole player will be optimized for the BDplaying. Why come on thread to put it down, "dogons", we Want this. And we want to Encourage others who do.

Let this thread be informative.....

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there are no laptops with 8.9 inch screens that also have a blu-ray drive, HDMI out, digital auidio out, SDHC card slot, remote control....

Sure one can buy a giant, heavy laptop that will do most of these things but the whole point of this device is that it is the world's smallest and therefore most portable.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/15541528

FYI... HP laptops do have a Quickplay feature which does power up quickly (not into the OS) into a software video player. I'm pretty sure that there are others that do the same as well.

BTW... this is a really cool product but I think that I'd rather have a laptop instead.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like it. Pricing?

·
Registered
547 Posts
The whole point for this player is its portability so you can play BR disc wherever you go. But if the place you go doesn't already have a BR player, chances are, it doesn't have a very good display unit either. Then again, what's the point of having a portable BR player?

·
Registered
13,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 /forum/post/15568395

Then again, what's the point of having a portable BR player?

You don't have to buy a DVD copy of your favourite movie?

I agree, a portable BR player is such a waste. At such a small screen, even a regular DVD looks good.

·
Registered
13,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 /forum/post/15545792

FYI... HP laptops do have a Quickplay feature which does power up quickly (not into the OS) into a software video player. I'm pretty sure that there are others that do the same as well.

BTW... this is a really cool product but I think that I'd rather have a laptop instead.

I'm well aware such functionality existed but I never personally experienced how well these special OSless player performs. I had it on my Dell laptop and never tried it before formatted the drive.

The con against a laptop vs portable player are: weight, size, price and most importantly battery life.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes /forum/post/15569041

I do hope this player will retail at least $750, since I want it to be Made in Japan, due to picture quality concerns.

$750??!!!!!....if it is half that i may be happy.......

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/15569852

You don't have to buy a DVD copy of your favourite movie?

I agree, a portable BR player is such a waste. At such a small screen, even a regular DVD looks good.

You said it yourself in your first sentence why it's not a waste: you don't need multiple copies of a movie to take it with you.

Buying a partable DVD player at this point, if you're buying BD discs, would be like buying a portable VHS deck when DVD started moving into the stores.

Perhaps once someone comes out with a good (and easy to find) ripping utility to make DVD copies of a BD disc you can use in a DVD player, it might be more worthwhile to go standard DVD for portables. However, by then (and by the time enough people actually have BD drives in their computers) portable BD players will be cheap enough to not gain anything by downconverting the media.

Of course, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the PS3 run off 12 Volts? If so, andyou have a multimedia system in your car that has video inputs, you could just haul along the game system and have more options for entertainment on the road. However, there's a lot to be said for an all-in-one unit you can carry anywhere.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts