AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung D7000 but am having such a bad time with customer service and concerns over possible black levels rising over time according to cnet that I'm strongly considering jumping ship to a Panasonic ST30 at this point.

One thing I am most worried about is the 3D glasses performance. I am worried that the Panasonic which uses an infrared signal will prove to be a problem unlike the Samsung bluetooth which has no connection issues. I have read in reviews that the Pannys can lose their signal if you so much as turn your head due to the loss of IR signal. How bad is this? For those who have some experience with watching a lot of 3D with the Panasonic, how well do the glasses stay in sync?

Also, I was watching a few bits n pieces of Polar Express to sample the 3D and the depth seemed quite exaggerated - and I saw that film twice in 3D in IMAX. People's faces looked long and drawn out - quite unnatural. Do the Samsungs tend to have exaggerated 3D compared to the Panasonics? I know good 3D when I see it and there seems to be too much depth - like I said, long drawn-out faces seems strange, even for a cgi film like Polar Express. Could it just be how they mastered that blu-ray for the home or is it the Samsung that is doing that?

·
Registered
16,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 /forum/post/20819239

I have a Samsung D7000 but am having such a bad time with customer service and concerns over possible black levels rising over time according to cnet that I'm strongly considering jumping ship to a Panasonic ST30 at this point.

One thing I am most worried about is the 3D glasses performance. I am worried that the Panasonic which uses an infrared signal will prove to be a problem unlike the Samsung bluetooth which has no connection issues. I have read in reviews that the Pannys can lose their signal if you so much as turn your head due to the loss of IR signal. How bad is this? For those who have some experience with watching a lot of 3D with the Panasonic, how well do the glasses stay in sync?

Also, I was watching a few bits n pieces of Polar Express to sample the 3D and the depth seemed quite exaggerated - and I saw that film twice in 3D in IMAX. People's faces looked long and drawn out - quite unnatural. Do the Samsungs tend to have exaggerated 3D compared to the Panasonics? I know good 3D when I see it and there seems to be too much depth - like I said, long drawn-out faces seems strange, even for a cgi film like Polar Express. Could it just be how they mastered that blu-ray for the home or is it the Samsung that is doing that?

What is the issue for which you are dealing with Samsung Customer Service?

I have not had any problems with my VT30 and glasses. On the VT30, you can also adjust the degree of 3D (don't know about the ST30).

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I've been having some issues getting their "cinema smooth" 24fps/96hz mode to work with digital files, and that is one of the main reasons I went with the Samsung along with bluetooth 3D. But their customer service has been extremely disappointing - they know close to nothing about their own products and how they work, and they threatened to charge me for a service visit if they found nothing wrong with the set. At this point I am very disappointed with them. The picture quality is actually very impressive and I'm definitely sticking with a plasma, but after reading about the new development with Samsung's blacks rising over time over at Cnet, I'm really wondering if Panasonic is the way to go. I know the ST30 also doesn;t do 96hz mode but since Samsung's is half broken anyways and taking their customer service into consideration, I might just go with Panasonic.

So no issues with the glasses cutting out and losing sync during viewing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.