AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panasonic officially announced the DVD-S97 in Japan today.

Sale date in Japan is October 15th. I heard available date of US model is Nov-2004.

Here are brief specifications and etc.

1) Conformation to a specification of HDMI's new version 1.12) Video
  • Faroudja DCDi ( Press release of Panasonic Japan officially mentioned the DCDi )
  • Digital video output of 720p and 1080i up-conversion with HDMI
  • Panasonic original 4:4:4 color upsampling
  • 216Mhz / 11 bit video encoder for analog video output
  • MPEG4 playback (SD Video(asf) / V : MPEG4 simple profile / A : G.726)
3) Audio
  • High-resolution digital audio output of DVD-Audio with HDMI, 192 khz / 24 bit / 2 ch
  • High-resolution digital audio output of DVD-Audio with HDMI, 96 khz / 24 bit / 6 ch
  • Advanced Multi Remaster
  • Virtual battery operation power circuit
  • High sound quality parts of audio DAC, OPAMP and capacitor
  • Large-sized insulator for vibration control
  • HDCD & Dolby Pro Logic II
4) Etc.
  • Depth Enhancer
  • Monitor Select
  • Digital Noise Reduction (Block NR, Mosquito NR, 3D NR)
  • 0.6X, 0.7X, 0.8X, 0.9X, 1.1X, 1.2X, 1.3X, 1.4X variable speed playback with sound and subtitle
  • subtitle brightness & position control (manual and auto mode.)
5) Photo

A picture of the DVD-S97 at CEDIA 2004 : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...391&fullpage=1

6) User manual link : http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DVDS97.PDF

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I'll bet its going to be sweet if it does indeed have a Faroudja chip.....except god I am sick of silver, especially plastic painted silver, YUCK!

Silver must be selling because its seems dominate more than ever this year.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
There had better be a way to turn off that neon looking strip. That looks beyond distracting. The Panny receivers look to have the same light.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Faroudja is there on the page: Look for Genesis and DCDi.

Painted silver / black plastic -- to me its all the same. Silver paint rubs off, black plastic scratches. Black plastic somewhat hides the rubs and scratches but it's still cheap.

Ah, the good 'ol days of brushed aluminum faceplates, glass inserts, metal knobs, bottom panels (sometimes painted). They don't make 'em like they used to (at consumer-friendly prices).

Paul

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick TX
There had better be a way to turn off that neon looking strip. That looks beyond distracting. The Panny receivers look to have the same light.
If I recall correctly, the "strip" is actually part of a clear blue plastic disc tray -- which the DVD-S47 has.

Maybe there is a "kill illumination" feature like the DVD-XP50 has.

Paul

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Just to be certain, the HDMI 1.1 is backward compatible with HDMI 1.0 for 720p/1080i picture and sound, correct?

It's just that HDMI 1.0 devices won't be able to decode DVD-Audio, correct?

Paul

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cxdmn2004

* Photo : http://www.matsushita.co.jp/corp/new...040907-3-1.jpg
Can't a company as big as Panasonic afford to pay some designers with talent to design their products. Panasonic's latest offerings are blah at best and border on sickening. I certainly would not want one of these in my equipment rack.

-phil

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
More likely the only way to turn off the strip is to purposely kill the LED light on it ehehh!! Looks cool actually.

Hmm, I'm wondering if the parts can be retro fitted into a RP82 chassis! ehheheh! =)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
 Here is a translator. Just put the press link in there and select the translating options.

It doesn't translate perfectly but it's something.

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sango
More likely the only way to turn off the strip is to purposely kill the LED light on it ehehh!! Looks cool actually.

Hmm, I'm wondering if the parts can be retro fitted into a RP82 chassis! ehheheh! =)
If it's like the SA-XR30 receiver I have, the strip can be turned off by a click of remote button.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
Faroudja is there on the page: Look for Genesis and DCDi.

Painted silver / black plastic -- to me its all the same. Silver paint rubs off, black plastic scratches. Black plastic somewhat hides the rubs and scratches but it's still cheap.
I have a silver Panasonic DVD-CP72 and the paint doesn't rub. I have yet to scratch it. I'm not sure about the better chassis at consumer friendly prices, I think that might be nostalgia combined with forgetting the original sale prices of those devices, and forgetting to factor inflation.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
About time. I've been waiting and it may have finally paid off. Hope to replace my Panasonic RP-91 with this unit. This may be my transition player from component to HDMI. I'm counting the days until I have this player in my hands. :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You know, whining about the silver color and the neon strip is kind of the last thing I'd have expected to see in this forum when Panasonic finally came back into the fold and released a Faroudja equipped player again. Heck, if you're that upset about it, take a screwdriver and some spray paint - voila, rainbow colors if that so pleases even ;).

Let's worry about the audio and picture quality first, and then worry about the visual design later.

Back on topic, cxdm pretty much translated most of what was on that page. There was a couple of things he missed though:

- user adjustable sharp picture zoom up to 2x. Also has an auto mode.

- remote control with support for major TV name brands, not just panasonic. This appears to be a strict function of the remote itself, and not using the HDMI port.

Outputs:

1 composite

1 s-video

1 component (both interlaced and progressive - no HD support)

1 D1/D2 port (japanese standard for analog component)

1 analogue stereo output

1 set of 5.1 analogue outputs

1 digital coax output for audio

1 optical outpuf for audio

1 HDMI 1.1 port.

If anyone have any specific questions that may not have been answered I can try and translate the specific point in the press release. Keep in mind though a lot of it is just plain marketing speak (market leader this and that etc) so it may not have the answers you seek.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Panasonic finally came back into the fold and released a Faroudja equipped player again.
Yes, they did. They used to be one of the only ones with Dcdi. Now, there are bunches of players with it. What excites me is the "auto" mode. If it's like the RP91, they will have something VERY special there. If it just pillarboxes 4:3, it's still a good thing. All the 1910 people will be crying the stretch blues if it pillarboxes on an upconvert (like the Momitsu).

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I have a silver Panasonic DVD-CP72 and the paint doesn't rub. I have yet to scratch it. I'm not sure about the better chassis at consumer friendly prices, I think that might be nostalgia combined with forgetting the original sale prices of those devices, and forgetting to factor inflation.
The finishes vary in quality. As long as one avoids too much physical contact today's painted finishes can hold up OK -- just keep the chemicals off it. Even "real" aluminium scratches fairly easy. The real solution is to take care of the equipment.

The metal front panel and knobs is part nostalgia combined with a deep appreciation for quality mechanical construction. I do remember the sale prices of the past and even bought some of the "classic" equipment when new. The problem isn't so much the price as it is availability. Much of the high-end that offer the quaility construction do not offer the features found in "plastic" gear. A few components combine both aspects but the choices are limited -- there used to be so much more to choose from.

Anyway, I'm really looking to the DVD-S97S. -- it looks like Panasonic has awakened. Hopefully, the wait will be worth it. I'm thinking the combination of the 'S97 and the SA-XR70 is going to be a real winner.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I maintain my cosmetic part of the chassis very well on my RP82 and RP56s. When I bought my other 82s and RP56s, they had cosmetic damage to the front and I basically just replaced them with new ones and that was it. Basically there isn't anything to worry if you get a accidental scratch to the cosmetics since you can replace it.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.