AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me if the MX500 will work with the Panny 300u projector? I would like to be able to turn it on and off, change aspect ratios, and access the menus? I have just started to investigate univ. remotes and don't know much about them.

Thanks for your help.

~ Jay

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
The MX-500 has the ability to learn every command from all of your original remotes, so it can duplicate all the commands on your Panny's remote.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm using the MX-500 with the 300U. No discrete codes for power on/off, inputs, aspect ratios, etc.

All functions work (just like the original remote, meaning cycle through inputs, etc.), but discrete codes would be nice.

Ken

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ken, as I am new to univ. remotes, please describe discrete codes. Do you mean 3 digit codes you can enter? and without this option, you are forced to use the Panny remote to "teach the MX500?

Thanks

~ Jay

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Examples of discrete codes are separate on/off commands and direct input selection as Ken mentioned. They come in handy with advanced programmable remotes that have macro capability. A macro enables you to push one button and turn on your projector, your receiver (or preamp), your video source (satellite, DVD etc.) and switch inputs on your projector. If all you have is a single Power button or a scrolling input button, it is difficult to program a macro that will work properly no matter what state any of the devices are in. If the discrete commands are not on your original remote you have to obtain them from a different source. This is true with virtually any universal remote.

I find that people are so used to remotes with code databases that they are not aware of the benefits of learning the commands to a remote like the MX-500. A preprogrammed code might give you most of your commands quickly, but it may also leave out many and place others on keys where they're not convenient. With the MX-500, you can plan out all your LCD-labeled buttons in advance, then in less than 5 minutes, learn all the commands from your original remote. Also, most remotes that use preprogrammed codes have limited learning ability (without using additional add-on devices that I wont get into here). While the MX-500 has preprogrammed codes, the MX-500 has the capacity to learn the commands from all of your remotes very quickly.

For discrete commands, you need to learn them from another remote that has them, or use the IRClone addition ( www.irclone.com ) to program them to the MX-500.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sorry Jay, I should have defined what I was talking about. Thanks Mike for explaining it.

The MX-500 is very simple to set up and use. I used a One-For-All remote from Walmart to program all the discrete codes for all my equipment, except the 300U :( I've heard the IRClone is very nice, and if there was a way to program the 300U discrete codes with it, I would get it (I may anyway, just for ease of re-arranging or setting up new equipment).

Here's another good website for info/discussion on the MX-500: Remote Central: MX-500

Ken

P.S. Let me add a short plug for Mike. I got my MX-500 from Surf Remote Control, no problems, fast service :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys! One last question (yeah right), When you have to replace the batteries in the remote, do you loose all your programmed settings?

~ Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.