Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panasonic L500U Specifications

Here is the spec I found at: ‘ http://www.gumboot.co.nz/forums/topi...OPIC_ID=129’

Detail:

Model : AE 500

Panel : 0.7 " TFT 16:9

Dissolution : 1024 (1280?)x of 720 pixels

Lamp : 130W UHM

Contrast relationship : 1300:1

Frequency response : 30 - 70kHz (horizontal), 50 - 87Hz (vertical)

Classifications of signals

YUV : 525 (480i), 625 (576i), 525p (480p), 625p (576p), 750p (720p), 112ï (1080i)

Video : PAL, Pal m, Pal n, PAL 60, SECAM, NTSC, NTSC (4,43)

Connections

Composite : 1 x Cinch

S-video : 1 x Hosiden

RGB : 1 x Sub D 15 polig

YUV : 1 x Cinch

DVI : 1 x DVI 24pin (HDCP)

Current consumption : 180W/0.5 W (Satndby)

Dimensions (B x H x T ): 280 x 80 x 269mm

Weight : 2,9kg

New Features:

10bit full digitally processing * digitally gamma revision

A 10bit signal processing is to produce 1024 brightness gradations per basic colour.

Increased contrast

The contrast relationship is to amount to 1300:1. This would be approximately twice as high in the comparison to the Pt-ae300.

Smooth screen Technology

Further improvements to smooth screen (anti-screendoor) technology. This linked with the higher resolution should be outstanding.

Projector artificial intelligence

Two different AI modes control the lamp brightness in direct dependence on picture information during the film presentation. With dark scenes the lamp brightness is reduced and increased with bright scenes. Thus the contrast impression and the light achievement are improved.

DSC (dynamic sharp Ness control) circuit

Dynamic sharpness control analyzes brightness differences of neighbouring pixels. This results in a more natural image sharpness without over-regulation.

Digitally Cinema Reality

Behind this hides a film mode de-interlacer, which is to reconstruct the original 24 frames of the film.

Calibration

All Bias & Gain values are separately adjustable for each basic colour (R,G and B). Thus perfect white alignment is made possible.

DVI with HDCP support

The DVI port is now fully compatible with the new HDCP standard.

Quiet operation

Noise production under 27db (was the previous model under 28db?)

All in all this sounds like an awsome new projector and I cannot wait to get my hands on one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wish they'd cough up some details on throw distance vs screen size though so I'd know exactly where to drop my cables in the theatre.....

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Smart money says L300 throw and L500 throw will be the same. Not 100% for sure, but likely.

·
Registered
502 Posts
More sites:

http://www.matsushita.co.jp/corp/new...n030909-1.html (japanese)
http://www.hjemmekino.net/html/modul...ex&page_id=282 (norwegian)
http://www.areadvd.de/news/2003/2003...20030003.shtml (german)

Summary indicates a lumens output of 850 too. Which makes the specs:

1280x720

1300:1 contrast ratio

850 lumens

27 db

- Smoothscreen technology (possibly improved over AE300)

- Automatic adaptive brightness to preserve black level in dark scenes

- 10bit image processing

- Displays 720p HDTV without downscaling

- DVI-D HDCP

- 2.9 kg

- Estimated price of $2100 (japan)

- Available 10-10-2003 (japan)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, I'm impressed by the specs too. It was way more than I had expected.

BUT... Not that I'm complaining, because there is certainly no reason to, but I had actually expected a tad better brightness on the new unit. Not the mere 6% increase that I doubt we'll notice. My guess is they're using the same lamp, just with an ever so slightly increased voltage.

And hopefully it will work with a HTPC 1:1 signal through DVI.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Higher brightness would be welcome, but with my relatively small (90" wide) screen, I can live with it, and am much more excited about the improved contrast... That's a signifiant improvement over the ae300's 800:1.. Approaching DLP territory... We'll have to see if these numbers hold up once the thing gets into some testers hands.

I'm a little worried about the "Projector artificial intelligence". In my experience, these AIs usually end up having pretty low IQs. I hope you can turn it off..

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
If you translate the specs into English, you can see where the 1300:1 is when the "AI" is turned on. In other words they can get 1300:1 by adjusting the bulb brightness. I'm wondering how well this really works.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
AE500 = L500.

I think lamp life will be the same, ambiguous, 3000+ hour story... with some hype around maybe 5000.

My experience with the Z1 indicates this is a selling point for the Panasonic.

Mark

·
Registered
234 Posts
I thought it was coming out in the next couple of months? I'm glad I have my HS-10 then. If it is really as good as it sounds, then I will be changing projectors if the throw distance will work for me.

TC

·
Registered
697 Posts
This is going to be one awesome machine. And for 2 grand. God technology is awesome. Just 12 months and we have seen a dramatic improvement in specs over the last model. I remember just last year the specs for the l300u and that was cool. Now the l500u. This just gets better and better.

Brian

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tommyc_295
I thought it was coming out in the next couple of months?
Next month in Japan, but probably January in The States.:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.