1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
87 Posts
It looks like one of the 50" models (at least) has a media box (or some other piece of equipment in the picture). Does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The 42PM50 appears to have a media box, I think its a 42 how stupid is have 42 and 50 in the part number? The other one is just the current model.

I did notice iLink which is another term for Firewire or IEEE1394. Don't have much context for that comment....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, if Babelfish translate correctly, the TH-42PSX10 has a native resolution of 1024 x 768. Well, not we have a three way race at this resolution - Pioneer, NEC, and now Panasonic.

The interesting thing is they say it consumes 423 watts when on!! and 2.6 whenin standby mode. Not very energy efficient as both NEC and Pioneer utilize around 250 watts when on. Why the difference??

Dave

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
These are definitely a Japanese model for their satellite (BS) digital broadcast (mentions a reception from a satellite on 100 degree).

Feature boxes mention...

TH-42PXS10

- 750p native: can show the BS digital in its native resolution

- plasma AI: automatically adjust the brightness

- real black: panasonic's famous black-level, i guess.

- real gamma: give more detail in the black portion.

- new super dynamic sharpness: i think they are talking about some kind of selective edge enhancement.

- digital cinema reality

- digital ghost reduction

- selective (?) processing signal circuit

- hi-vision plasma panel: 1024x768 for 42", 1388(?)x768 for 50".

- 2-way 3 speakers

- EPG (BS digital)

- D4 connection

- i.LINK connection

- optical digital output connection

- handles SD memory card

- auto power-off

- easy (?) self-wide: i think it's about controlling aspect ratio with a button.

- front video input connection

- hearing aid: for elderly, it can enhance the high frequency portion of the audio.

Also mentions that it's implementing 10-bit processing.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hongcho,

Thanks for the translation. Could you also give us some info on the 50" specs.

I am not saying that these will be the new US product line, it more or less gives a good idea what the Panasonic future will hold. I can see though some kind of media box- look at Sharp and Pioneer. But hey its a little more info then what we had.

Dave

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
As far as I can see, the only difference between the 42" and the 50" models seem to be the size of the glass and the resolution.

Hong.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
> How about the resolution on the 37"?

Doesn't say (or I can't find it). However, since they mention 480 lines, I suspect it's 864(?) x 480...

Anyway, it seems only the PXS models are considered "new".

Hong.

·
Registered
273 Posts
all of the Japanese models have "media boxes". The panels themselves only have a single connection port. the box is simply a video switcher.

the only difference between the 50 & 42 that I know of is panel resolution, and the associated differences in contrast & brightness.

These models have been out for a little while here in Tokyo, but I believe they are the newer version than what is currently available in the US.

george

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mopgcw,

Thanks for the info, but don't stop there. We would like to know whats in store for us. I think what has been posted or shown is in our future. But maybe you guys closer to the source can get that inside info that we have been looking for.

Dave

·
Registered
273 Posts
cheridave,

well, to be honest, as I have been enjoying the pleasures of the older panny 50 for a year now, I really have not paid too much attention to the newer models and the detail specs etc.

I can tell you that in general the newer panny is quite an improved picture over the prior version. Sidexside with the Pioneer 503 it is right there. both are wonderful displays. I have not seen it next to the latest fuji.

The price has held at about JPY 1.3 million, so no big decline or increase.

also it is a little difficult to forecast what is in store for the US vs here outside of the base panel stats, as there are some big differences -- i.e. the "media boxes" etc.

george

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.