AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am returning the optoma HD20 and the sales people at Projector People told me that Panasonic was not coming out with a new model to replace the ae3000. Anyone know if this is true? They seemed pretty confident that it was true and I would be surprised if they were lying or clueless about this fact.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
I have no information on this, but I doubt that Panasonic is sitting idle. Either they leave the market, or they bring an AE3000 replacement. That's my point of view. Because the competition is simply not sitting still. E.g. compare the AE3000 to the current Epson. The native contrast ratio of the Epson is so much higher that Panasonic simply cannot afford to skip a year. IMHO...

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I havent got the scoop yet one way or another, but from the emails I have been getting from my contacts at Panasonic Japan, something seems to be coming down the pike. When i asked them about the replacement, they didnt tell me nothing was coming out and told me I should be hearing from them soon. I always see their new projectors before it come out

·
Registered
214 Posts
I posted this in another thread but I will post it here too. Dealers are trying to take a cheap shot at consumers by raising the price because quantities are low and they are acting like they dont know that replacements are about to be released. One online store (^) told a friend that there are limited quanties of the AE-3000 and there are no anouncements for a replacement so they were forced to raise prices. B.S. they are just trying to scare people into buying now at an inflated price. I purchased my AE-2000 at just under $3,000 when it was first released. A friend purchased an AE-3000 at just under $2,500 shipping included when it was first released. And now dealers want to sell a discontinued projector for more than when it was a new release? Will the next projector street for $2,000? Why not they just released (2) 1080P projectors for under $1,000. IMHO if you buy now you will regret it.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
i think i am with Mark on this one. the ae3000 price just went back up to $2700.

when i bought my panny bd35, bout 6 months ago. retail was a LOT higher then when they first came out. then they stopped selling em. i bought mine like new used. for about what they were new

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Gonzalez /forum/post/17022934

A dealer told me that production has stoped for the 3000 so that they can start on the next model. No specs were given.

Panasonic has spent so little in R&D the past few years its definitely worth it for them to "update" annually (same case, same lamp, same light engine) with a minor tweak that they call an update. Maybe they'll change the case to white this year and ditch the smoothscreen...oh well, one may dream!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Speculation: Panasonic can't afford to hold off on a new model (a tweaked version of the AE3000, if nothing else). At least one competitor is coming out with a new model that has incremental improvements - higher lumens, better black levels, and a larger (advertised) contrast ratio.

IMHO Epson won't be standing still either.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/17025194

I would call that a nightmare.

I'm not sure white would be so bad if it were a nice gloss white. Even a gloss black would help lessen the industrial look of the AE3000. (which BTW I don't mind as much as some folks do)

I would be happy just to see Panasonic change their ridiculous price-gouging practices in the Canadian market.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimpin /forum/post/17025893

I'm not sure white would be so bad if it were a nice gloss white.

Anyone who has painted their ceiling a somewhat dark color or black would disagree. My wife has been after me to spray paint my beige Optoma.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Agreed, the black finish on the 3000u was one of the selling points for me. It's big enough as it is without being a mass of stark white against a black ceiling.

Further, the rather boxy shape of it fits well up on my ceiling.

-Suntan

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Gonzalez /forum/post/17023176

I posted this in another thread but I will post it here too. Dealers are trying to take a cheap shot at consumers by raising the price because quantities are low and they are acting like they dont know that replacements are about to be released. One online store (^) told a friend that there are limited quanties of the AE-3000 and there are no anouncements for a replacement so they were forced to raise prices. B.S. they are just trying to scare people into buying now at an inflated price. I purchased my AE-2000 at just under $3,000 when it was first released. A friend purchased an AE-3000 at just under $2,500 shipping included when it was first released. And now dealers want to sell a discontinued projector for more than when it was a new release? Will the next projector street for $2,000? Why not they just released (2) 1080P projectors for under $1,000. IMHO if you buy now you will regret it.

That's nuts. We always lower stuff as it is being phased out for the simple reason that people won't pay more for it than just a little while ago, especially when it is discontinued. They are being bully's.

·
Registered
214 Posts
" That's nuts. We always lower stuff as it is being phased out for the simple reason that people won't pay more for it than just a little while ago, especially when it is discontinued. They are being bully's."

I respect that Jason, you have my next purchase.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts