AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the picture that much better on the Panasonic? The Panasonic looks clearer to me, but the setup in so many stores are very poor.

I can get the Panasonic for the same price at local store with lifetime return as the Vizio with 5 year in home warranty. I would rather have in home warranty and like the style of the black bezel of the Vizio, but I don't if it is worth it.

Is the picture that much better, and how do they compare on the burn-in issue?

Please Help I've been playing ping pong in my head with the decision!

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloddy /forum/post/0

Is the picture that much better on the Panasonic? The Panasonic looks clearer to me, but the setup in so many stores are very poor.

I can get the Panasonic for the same price at local store with lifetime return as the Vizio with 5 year in home warranty. I would rather have in home warranty and like the style of the black bezel of the Vizio, but I don't if it is worth it.

Ultimately let your eyes be the judge. Be sure, however, to be able to adjust each display before making any judgements. Otherwise as you observed comparisons and judgements are meaningless because as set up in most stores the displays often look horrible.

Panasonic is coming out with their new line I believe in April, not really that long from now. (Edit: OOPS I think it is Samsung that is comming out in April - Sorry) They appear to be making a lot of improvements both in appearance and performance. You just might want to wait until then. In the mean time, you might want to do some reading in the Calibration forum as I have found a lot of useful information there. As a reault, I am now in a better position to more effectively adjust a display and evaluate the results.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloddy /forum/post/0

Panasonic has a much better picture than the Vizio. I wanted the Panasonic, but it's $500 more than the Vizio, so I was forced to buy the Vizio. So far in the Vizio, I think this TV is only average.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Every Vizio I have seen has peaked at average. The reason they are popular is b/c of the pricing and Costco return policy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I fully agree that the Vizios are the definition of average, but not value b/c the panasonic 42" and 50" are now the standards for value if you are talking about price/performance ratio, mainly b/c the elite performance is so much better than the moderate (but not exactly cheap) prices they are asking.

Isn't a 42" vizio like $1000 and a 42" panasonic plasma about $1300?

Working at $10/hr, that would equal to about 1 week's salary for even our more frugal members. I would say that this is one case where you will quickly forget about the $300 more that you spent.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I went through this process for several months last year. My decision to go with the Panny was helped by the fact that during the year Panny prices dropped faster than those of the Vizio, and the difference in price narrowed as the year progressed. Finally, it just made more sense to me to go with the Panny.

Also, read the Vizio threads carefully. You'll see a number of issues raised by long-term Vizio owners that you don't see with Panasonic. Long-term reliability questions are not yet clear with the Vizio.

I'm not trying to bad-mouth the Vizio. If you're on a strict budget, it may be the best way to go. I just think that Panasonic has a longer track record of reliability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.