AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello experts,

I'm finally making the jump into the "plasma world" and wanted to see what type of recommendations I could get from people that may already have experience with either models I'm looking at:

Panasonic P50G20 or Samsung PN50C680?

I was recommended the Panny G20, but have read that the Samsung C680 is also a pretty good deal, and is a 3D TV which is a plus.

Basically read good and bad things about both...

Any recommendations or warnings?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I went with the PN50C680 personally and I love it.

You won't find any professional reviews on it, but it is a really nice TV. I had a PN50C6500 (so a thin Samsung plasma) and I feel the C680 has much better blacks.

I also considered the P50G20, but all the Panasonic problems (rising blacks, floating blacks) scared me from the brand. Plus the c680 is a 3D TV so by going that route I avoided buying a TV that is obsolete the day it leaves the store.

The only thing I don't like about my c680 is it does have a slight buzzing sound. If you are scared of that get them to open it in the store and turn it on before you buy and force them to run through their inventory till you find a non-buzzer. It doesn't bug me that much because it is not loud enough to hear it on my couch.

Many people around here are Panny fans and for good reason. Each major TV under $3k has problems, do research.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I prefer the Panasonic G20 series. I don't notice the floating blacks and the rising blacks have not shown much rise at all on the latest report on cnet. I've heard some reports with burn-in on Samsung Plasmas on Amazon. Supposedly the pixel shift turns off on certain settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both Neo & Poofy. I made the plunge and decided to go with the Panny G20, it'll get delivered on Monday, I can't wait.

I've read a lot of reviews about both and the majority of them stated the Panny was a better bang for my buck. No offense to Sammy fans.

Thanks again you guys!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't mean to necro-post, but I'm actually having this same exact debate all this time later! I've been researching like crazy the past couple of weeks because I'm finally ready to plunge into the world of flat panel TV's. I currently own a 30" Sony Wega CRT that I LOVE. The picture quality is better on it than on any of my friend's LCD displays imo. From what I've read... I need to go the plasma route to maintain the same level of movie and gaming glory.

At my local best buy both the Panasonic and the Samsung listed in this thread are on clearance and several are "open item" sales so the price is very cheap

Most of what I've read says the Panasonics have deeper blacks and an overall better display, but I can't say I'm not somewhat tempted by the 3-D that the Samsung offers... however I know I'll almost never use it... so ultimately it's going to come down to picture quality and reliability.

I'm looking to hear from people who have owned either set to let me (or anyone else who's looking) know how they've held up and if they regret their purchase or not.

I've also considered the 2011 replacement set for each of these as options since the prices aren't that much higher... but is it really worth it? I've always been a last years model on the cheap sort of guy... lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One more quick question... does anyone have experience with the 2011 replacement models for each set? I know the Panasonics is the tc-p50st30 but I don't really know how it compares to the g20. I don't know what the new Samsung is...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts