AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a Vista-HTPC with a Geforce 430 and spend the last 6 days trying to play some 3D content on my new Panasonic P50VT20 (conntected through HDMI) - with no luck. All I see is a 2D image and it seems the Geforce 430 isn't able to tell the TV that it should switch to 3D, no matter what player I tried or settings I used.

I downloaded a Side-By-Side-MKV and tried to play it in Total Media Theatre 5 (I told the player to play the file in Side-By-Side-3D-mode), the TV switches to 1080p 24Hz and plays the file - but just in 2D. I also tried a 3D-Demo-BluRay-ISO in Cyberlink Power DVD 10 and also got just a 2D-Image.

What am I doing wrong?

What I already tried:

-) installed the drivers from the CD that comes with the Geforce 430 (version 258.xx or something): with that drivers I get a "stereoscopic 3D" (like in this screenshot: http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...iaSettings.png ) in the NVidia Control Panel but I'm not able to activate it because when I try a wizzard launches and wants me to go through a 3D Vision USB IR emitter configuration (which I don't own)

-) installed driver version 260.99: "stereoscopic 3D" in NVidia Control Panel disappears, nothing else changes

-) installed "Nvidia 3D Vision v260.99"-drivers: nothing changes - do I need them anyway or are they part of the full driver package?

Is the whole "3D Vision"-stuff only for people that own the "3D Vision USB IR emitter" or do I also need it when I want to use the 3D glasses that came with my TV?

Please help!

Greetings

MJFox

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFox
Hi!

I have a Vista-HTPC with a Geforce 430 and spend the last 6 days trying to play some 3D content on my new Panasonic P50VT20 (conntected through HDMI) - with no luck. All I see is a 2D image and it seems the Geforce 430 isn't able to tell the TV that it should switch to 3D, no matter what player I tried or settings I used.

I downloaded a Side-By-Side-MKV and tried to play it in Total Media Theatre 5 (I told the player to play the file in Side-By-Side-3D-mode), the TV switches to 1080p 24Hz and plays the file - but just in 2D. I also tried a 3D-Demo-BluRay-ISO in Cyberlink Power DVD 10 and also got just a 2D-Image.

What am I doing wrong?

What I already tried:

-) installed the drivers from the CD that comes with the Geforce 430 (version 258.xx or something): with that drivers I get a "stereoscopic 3D" (like in this screenshot: http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...iaSettings.png ) in the NVidia Control Panel but I'm not able to activate it because when I try a wizzard launches and wants me to go through a 3D Vision USB IR emitter configuration (which I don't own)

-) installed driver version 260.99: "stereoscopic 3D" in NVidia Control Panel disappears, nothing else changes

-) installed "Nvidia 3D Vision v260.99"-drivers: nothing changes - do I need them anyway or are they part of the full driver package?

Is the whole "3D Vision"-stuff only for people that own the "3D Vision USB IR emitter" or do I also need it when I want to use the 3D glasses that came with my TV?

Please help!

Greetings

MJFox
First of all, this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1240499

contains the answers to most of the questions you might have to ask.

I have a GTX460 and a Samsung 3D TV.

I don't have NVIDIA 3D USB ir emitter and I didn't install the NVIDIA 3D vision.

I only installed the WHQL card driver (260.99 I think).

The PC is connected directly with HDMI 1.4 high speed cable.

Once the driver was installed, I went into the NVIDIA panel and enabled steroscopic 3D. I followed the process of calibrating my Samsung 3D glasses which took about 2 minutes, and that was it.

For testing, in TMT5, I selected the option to always play 2D files in 3D, and I chose the NVIDIA 3D compatible type of TV.

I launched " I hate valentine's day 1080p MKV"

The TV asked me to put on my 3D glasses and it was all blissssss

First you need to verify if you have an HDMI 1.4 cable

Second I am guessing you might need win7 (only a guess...)

Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply

I have already gone through the FAQ and a million other pages with no success

Quote:
Once the driver was installed, I went into the NVIDIA panel and enabled steroscopic 3D
how did you enable it? did you go through the wizard? the wizard is telling me that it can't find the 3D Vision kit and aborts the configuration

Quote:
The PC is connected directly with HDMI 1.4 high speed cable.
I bought a 1.4 high speed cable, so this can't be the reason

greetings

MJFox

·
Registered
819 Posts
Welcome to the club (details in the sticky 3d thread).

My suspicion is centered on Vista - I plan to install Win7 by the end of the week and try again.

In the meantime, would you please confirm that you have the latest update of PDVD, which claims to have introduced compatibility with Vista (implying lack of such in the trial build)?

Good you at least have a supported tv.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my PowerDVD build is 10.1118-01 (I'm using the trial version so far)

just to be sure: should 3D work out of the box? I don't have the 3D vision kit and I'm not able to enable the stereoscopic feature in my NVidia Control Panel (since the option isn't there with v260.99, I have the option in v258.xx but I can't enable it because the wizard is complaining about the missing 3D Vision IR emitter)

I read that one needs the "3DTV Play"-driver from NVidia and it is not yet avaiable for people without the 3D vision kit... so I just have to wait?

greetings

MJFox

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFox /forum/post/19620189

my PowerDVD build is 10.1118-01 (I'm using the trial version so far)

just to be sure: should 3D work out of the box? I don't have the 3D vision kit and I'm not able to enable the stereoscopic feature in my NVidia Control Panel (since the option isn't there with v260.99, I have the option in v258.xx but I can't enable it because the wizard is complaining about the missing 3D Vision IR emitter)

I read that one needs the "3DTV Play"-driver from NVidia and it is not yet avaiable for people without the 3D vision kit... so I just have to wait?

greetings

MJFox

Well, I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I am sure you don't need the 3DTV play thing from NVIDIA, except if you wish to play games.

As far as 3D blu-ray is concerned you only need the latest NVIDIA video card driver.

Assuming Vista is not your problem, I think you should uninstall all the NVIDIA stuff you currently have, clean out the registry for anything NVIDIA and after that install ONLY the latest video card driver, and you should be fine.

I guess installing the old driver that needs the NVIDIA 3D vision to work might be the source of your problem (if not Vista)

Just for your info, my 3D TV is not in the supported TV list provided by NVIDIA, and it works fine.

Cheers!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@balky:

I tried everything possible driver wise, I installed, uninstalled and installed again various driver versions and nothing seemed to help

so I will follow your advice and try to install Win7, hoping it finally might help

thanks

MJFox

·
Registered
819 Posts
You should not need 3DTV Play (thanks, ricubullah in the 3d thread); although there is some confusing informaion on the 3DTV Play site, here is the straight answer from Nvidia:
Do I need 3DTV Play to watch Blu-ray 3D movies when connected to my HDMI 1.4 3D TV?

"No, NVIDIA GPUs support playing Blu-ray 3D on HDMI 1.4 3D TVs when using compatible software video players from companies such as CyberLink, ArcSoft, Corel, or Roxio. "

The PDVD build that states Vista support is 23xx. The trial should not work.

But this is not your primary problem. The driver that supports 3dtv's is 260.99. It you don't get the 3d sterescopic option in Nvidia Control Panel, then I think you don't have 3d support at all - if I remember correctly, people with working bd3d reported access to this setting.

I don't get the 3d option either for my hdmi input on the tv; and this is after a clean install (after an ati card; so not really clear, the catalyst software is still there, it is one of the potiential issues for me to eliminate).

I hope this helps a bit to pinpoint the problem. Let us know what happens with Win7. I am all motivated now to test it this very evening.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi /forum/post/19620601

I don't get the 3d option either for my hdmi input on the tv; and this is after a clean install (after an ati card; so not really clear, the catalyst software is still there, it is one of the potiential issues for me to eliminate).

so basically the 3d option SHOULD be there with just the basic driver v260.99 installed (without installing any extra 3D vision or 3DTV stuff)? I previously had a Geforce 8600 GTS with some pretty old driver version and replaced it a few days ago with the Geforce 430 and v260.99. I already uninstalled everything from NVidia and installed again with no luck.

I don't want to trash my Vista-Installation and install Win7 just to find out that the 3d-option still isn't available

Edit: one more thing, does this option still show up if you attach the HTPC to a non-HDMI-1.4-device? maybe the graphic card isn't detecting the TV properly?

greetings

MJFox

·
Registered
819 Posts
The 3d option shows up for my VGA input, but then asks for 3d vision istallation, which makes sense.

And yes, I thought it might be because my tv is not supported officially by Nvidia; but yours is, so it helps to eliminate this as a primary obstacle.

Edit: I also tried switching the HDMI input on the tv from PC mode (DVI/HDMI; allows checkerboard) to TV mode (HDMI; no checkerboard). Didn't make any difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just disconnected my TV from the HTPC and conntected remotely to the HTPC to check out the NVidia Control Panel... now the 3D options show up but I still can't complete the setup because of the missing IR emitter

Edit: as soon as I connect my TV to the HTPC again the 3D options are gone

weird!

greetings

MJFox

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not really weird; as I said, I think it makes sense.

If a 3dtv is connected, you don't need 3d vision, so it does not ask for it, only allows selection of 1.4hdmi output, as reported by people with working setups.

If no 3dtv, then the only option is 3d vision, and it kicks you to the vision wizard.

edit: sorry, confused here, I was thinking of the vision install requirement, rather than the disappearing 3d setting. I see the point. It makes me more convinced Vista is the culprit.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you are willing to wait a bit, I will report on the win 7 - I have had an Ultimate full copy and a drive partition waiting and a dual boot install planned for a while, I just haven't got the time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi /forum/post/19620793

If you are willing to wait a bit, I will report on the win 7 - I have had an Ultimate full copy and a drive partition waiting adn the install planned for a while, I just haven't got the time.

sure! I was thinking about trying win7 tomorrow... if you plan to try it within the next few days I will wait for your report!

greetings

MJFox

·
Registered
819 Posts
So, here it goes:

Installed Win 7-64 on an empty disk, dual boot with Vista 32. Motherboard 790gx, phenom 9950 (4x2.6GHz?). Single display configuration with tv PN50c490 through HDMI-HDMI, input set to PC mode (DVI) on the tv. 3d on tv set to On, Auto-detect.

Easy Transfer-ed user accounts and settings from my ATI-equipped desktop.

Installed nvidia driver package 260.99, custom installation, all components (video, physx (?), hd sound, 3d vision), "clean isnstall" setting checked (which decimated all realtek sound drivers, incl analog, btw). After restart, resolution auto-set to 1080p (under tv resolutions "HD, SD"), probably due to transfered setting.

"3d stereoscopic" setting now present in the Nvidia control panel, with greyed-out Hdmi 1.4 option. Clicked on checkbox "Enable", a 3d vision wizard opened, but this time with an Hdmi 1.4 option at the top (rather than 3d vision only). Upon selection, the tv promped for glasses and engaged 3d.

Clicked through wizard, which interactively tests for correct eye-match and stereoscopy. Test patterns changed 3d resolution on tv to [email protected] First time completed with Hardware Test Failed - turned out I had not responded correctly; went back and fixed; success.

Back in control panel under 3d, accessed the test app, which allows testing at different 3d resolutions and AA settings. Set to 1080p, and worked beautifully, automatically switching the tv to [email protected] Had to dial the 3d view point on the tv from 5 back to 0 for the best 3d picture (still there was some, almost unnoticible crosstalk).

In Change resolution in NV control panel, there was new section "HD 3D", with 1080p at the top. Upon selection and applying, the tv switched to 3d mode; desktop looked grainy, like the checkeboard input from the ATI card. Text almost unreadable. I applied back "HD, SD" 1080p, and desktop went back to flat and smooth (2d).

Applied the native resolution [email protected] in the "PC" resolutions, and tried the test app at 1080p3d, tv still switched without a glitch from the 2d native to the [email protected] 3d. Animation movement was smooth, 3d effect was very pronounced.

Tomorrow: test bluray 3D.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.