AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some real life gamer experiences with the S60 or other 2012-2013 40-55" plasma being used heavily or exclusively for gaming.

I already have a 55 inch VT30 that I got a couple of years ago, but I'm tired of managing the image retention from videogame HUDs after extended play sessions, seeing remnants of the games I've been playing when I go to watch a movie or nature video, etc. So, I've decided to have a second set just for gaming which I can "abuse". The P50S60 is definitely priced right at under $700 and the input lag number is one of the best for a plasma display.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57587317-221/game-mode-on-cnet-tests-tvs-for-input-lag/

Initially I was leaning toward something like the Sony KDL-47W802A (almost twice the price) or a Samsung LED, but even though those sets will have no image retention issues even with a persistent HUD, playing older 4:3 aspect ratio content (Nintendo 64, Gamecube, PS2, etc.) they still have the fundamental LED / LCD flaws with motion and backlighting. I've never owned an LED / LCD HDTV, other than a smaller monitor for a computer, so I still don't know if the "flaws" are that annoying in daily use either for short or extended play sessions. I could go the Best Buy route and try something and return it within 30 days, but I would still like to be more informed before doing that.

I do have a controlled environment, so bright lights and viewing angle are a non-issue. I have an Integra 50.2 AVR, which supports "through" and "source" modes for video, so the number of inputs on the HDTV or audio lag adjustment shouldn't be an issue. My primary gaming platforms are a PS3 and Xbox 360, though I also use a Wii and older consoles. I do not need smart TV features, 3D, any video processing for video content (24p), etc. This set will be for gaming and that is all it will do. Once the set is broken in, I don't expect to be messing with settings, other than power on/off.

I've read the CNET review

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50s60/4505-6482_7-35558333.html

I would love to hear comments from people with this set where they are doing heavy gaming on it (multiple hours a day), whether they are having to do a lot of "scrolling bar" to combat image retention, whether the Panasonic "pixel orbiter" is good enough or if that upsets the input lag, etc.?!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pixel orbiter doesn't do anything to prevent HUDs from giving your TV image retention. What it will do will leave you with a blurry image of the HUD instead of a clear one.

I gamed Dark Souls for 30-50 hours on my 2012 panasonic plasma and got image retention that is still visible after 2 months (I used the wow pixel flipper for 40+ hours and have watched a lot of normal content over the last 2 months. The IR faded but it's still there

Using a plasma solely for gaming will give you really bad image retention. You'd probably have to watch a lot of normal content or use the wow pixel flipper a lot or something like that to avoid image retention and that would be a pain if you only want to use the TV for gaming.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oimagination  /t/1484165/panasonic-pc-p50s60-or-o...ing-image-retention-experiences#post_23586337

Pixel orbiter doesn't do anything to prevent HUDs from giving your TV image retention. What it will do will leave you with a blurry image of the HUD instead of a clear one.

I gamed Dark Souls for 30-50 hours on my 2012 panasonic plasma and got image retention that is still visible after 2 months (I used the wow pixel flipper for 40+ hours and have watched a lot of normal content over the last 2 months. The IR faded but it's still there

Using a plasma solely for gaming will give you really bad image retention. You'd probably have to watch a lot of normal content or use the wow pixel flipper a lot or something like that to avoid image retention and that would be a pain if you only want to use the TV for gaming.

Since I'm buying a plasma that I plan to play on...

30-50 hours straight, or what? I only plan to play games on it an hour or two a day, but I'd like to know "best practices." I've got an ST50 on the way, and assume IR varies by model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you game an hour or two a day, you probably want to watch at least that much regular full-screen content as well. Some people use the wow pixel flipper or something similar for a few hours a week to prevent image retention as well.

An hour or two of gaming a day isn't that much... but if you're playing the same game that has a bright HUD for 2 hours a day for a month that's what can really give you IR.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The culprits are static HUDs such as minimaps (GTA IV), health bars, ammo displays, etc. A game that only briefly displays these elements like Uncharted or The Last of Us won't cause any issues at all, nor will a game such as Dead Space where there is no HUD at all. A game that switches between many HUD elements as you change what you're doing between cutscenes, combat, exploration, etc. such as many RPGs are also not much of an issue.

You'll get a similar retention from watching TV content with a static logo, 4:3 content, and letterboxed content

The ST60 has a built-in scrolling bar that can be used to get rid of some of the image retention pretty quickly, but typically you just end up watching some other full screen content and it will go away over time.

However, if you game a lot, hours a day or more with the same HUD, especially something like Dark Souls, then even after weeks or months there can still be a ghost of certain parts of the HUD that is visible with certain static images, especially white or gray. I've been flip flopping on avoiding the problem altogether by going with an LED HDTV for gaming or using something like the S60 and just living with a certain amount of image retention. I may be forced to use Best Buy and their 30-day return policy to try out various options.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm thinking I may just decide on some "plasma safe" games, or take frequent breaks while playing...

It's too bad plasmas are a dying breed. Maybe some developers would have been kind enough to allow switching the hud off.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorsher  /t/1484165/panasonic-pc-p50s60-or-o...ing-image-retention-experiences#post_23586650

I'm thinking I may just decide on some "plasma safe" games, or take frequent breaks while playing...

It's too bad plasmas are a dying breed. Maybe some developers would have been kind enough to allow switching the hud off.

They should have more hud options(off,transparent) in the future as OLED is going to be as subjective to IR as Plasma. Even an LCD will get it if you abuse it..

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the p42s60 and do a good amount of gaming. When I first got the tv I watched a lot of different content and did not game a large amount on it. I then used the calibration settings from the owners thread, and never looked back. I play sometimes 4 hours at a time, after my daughter goes to bed and I can get online, and ussually play diablo III on Xbox 360, but play some other games too. I've not noticed any IR on my set thus far. Diablo has some static HUD elements but since we do watch other stuff too it's never been a problem. Just played halo reach for an hour or two last night, and again no problems either with IR or blur.

I think the calibrated setting reduce the brightness quite a bit, which helps, if you have the tv in torch mode you will get burn in or IR faster.

I have had the set since April. Love it, my favorite tv that I have ever had. In the last week I got a wall mount and put it in the bedroom for my wife, and ordered myself a Samsung f5300 on that good Black Friday sale that was going on. Looking forward to comparing them, if it is better or the same for gaming it will stay down stairs, if not, it will go up in the bedroom for the wife instead

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 50S60 and game quite a bit with my 360 and PS4. I've played games for long periods of time without IR. When I do game for a long time though, I pause ever so often and put on screen wipe. The only IR I've had is a ESPN logo that took awhile to fully go away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.