AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through many threads and have flip-flopped on which plasma to go with: First it was the Panny PT-42PHD4-P, then the PT-42PD3-P, then I settled on the Pioneer 433CMX with the PDA-5002 card because it had upgrade capability with the card slot. However, I started to lean away from the Pioneer in the last two days because of some of the recent threads I saw on it, and started to rethink the importance of the card slot for upgradeability.

2 Questions for all:

1. Is the upgrade option important enough to go with the Pioneer, or is it going to be possible down the road to somehow upgrade the Panny with an external box?

AND,

2. What are the chances in the lifespan of the monitor that an upgrade for the Pioneer will become available that is worth upgrading to that will blow away the Panny at that point?

bk8 tetering...

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
There are supposed to be some BIG upgrade cards for the Pioneer coming out in the next few months, many here are eagerly awaiting the release of the upcoming KD card for example. The Pioneers also offer a lot more video input options than the Panasonic which I think is a big advantage too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I considered all three of these units as well: panny 42WD, 42HD and pio 43cmx. I dismissed the 42HD outright as i had worries about a HD display and no upgrade path. So it was between the 42WD and 433cmx. The deciding point was i preferred the picture on the panny to the existing 433cmx and it was cheaper. The cost variable was changed from the baseline difference in prices when i considered the cost of the KD card which i understood to be another $1500-2000 on top of the pio.

At that time i realized that i would prefer to save the money now, enjoy the (IMHO) superior SD performance of the 42WD now (+ great HD performance), and plan on upgrading in 4 or do years when i bet i can buy much better performance in a plasma for the same price and maybe LCD panels will mature as well by then.

Not saying that anyone has to follow my decision path....but it food for thought

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.