AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a month of research I bought a 50" Panasonic G25 Plasma back in August from OneCall. The tv came in fine with the shock stickers ok and looked good.

About 14 days later it would not come on at all. When you pressed the power button the red light would just blink 10 times. So I called Panasonic tech support. I should have called OneCall because it was right at the end of the 15 days that have on returns, I think. So Panasonic says that they will get a service tech out to me on Tuesday, this was on Thursday.

So on Tuesday I have not heard from a service guy and call back and get the phone number of the service place. So I call them. They had yet to schedule the service call and it was already Tuesday, the day when Panasonic said they would come. So they schedule one for Thursday.

Then call me back a couple days later to say that the part is on BACKORDER
with no estimated date! So I call Panasonic and ask for them to ship me a new set, but they tell me that they will not do that and I have to wait for the part!

So I wait for the part from August till late October! I had to call the service place (Eletronic Services out of Penbrook, Ga) to find out that they had finally received the part the day before. So they come about 5 days later, but the part does not work! So they took the set back to their shop to work out the problems.

Mid November, Almost 2 weeks later after many phone calls they say that Panasonic is going to ship out a new set. Finally! But it seems like Panasonic was in no hurry to do so.

December 2nd, Today I just got the set. Looked like it was new in the box from Panasonic. The service guy who brought it seemed like he was in a big rush. He was even going to leave the set setting under my garage with out me there, but I told him to wait on me. So we carried the set inside and he left. I should have opened with him there, because tonight I opened it to hook up and the WHOLE SCREEN IS CRACKED!!!

So here I sit on DECEMBER 2nd still waiting to watch a Panasonic HDTV that I bought in AUGUST!!!

Update: Panasonic now says that it will be 10-14 days before they will even ship out a replacement set, and then only to the service center. So I am looking at least 20 more day to get a replacement!

Update 2: 12-22-10 Panasonic says that the replacement set has shipped and should arrive by the 24th (but I guess to the service center). So baring a miracle looks like no tv for Christmas!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I know it sounds terribly dishonest, but maybe you should buy the same set at a retailer and return the cracked one and say it was broken when you opened it up... then since you have a sales slip just get a full refund.

Companies like panasonic and retail electronic stores project a certain ammount of defects and damages during a year, it won't hurt them.

Thats a long time you have been dealing with this, time to stop dealing with panasonic.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/19585417

I know it sounds terribly dishonest, but maybe you should buy the same set at a retailer and return the cracked one and say it was broken when you opened it up... then since you have a sales slip just get a full refund.

Are you for reals????

·
Registered
19,081 Posts

Quote:

Companies like panasonic and retail electronic stores project a certain ammount of defects and damages during a year, it won't hurt them.

Thats a long time you have been dealing with this, time to stop dealing with panasonic.

then he'll have paid for the set twice

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:

Do most retailers keep track of serial numbers for TVs they sell?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 /forum/post/19585448

Kind of disappointing to hear this but I don't expect much from any tv companies actually. Better to get a warranty from somewhere else like Square Trade.

Exactly. I am suprised Panasonic actually sends out repairmen. I would imagine it would be more cost effective to not have repairs done, and simply send a new set and take the broken one back. The repair men should be delivery men instead.

I feel like everytime someone post a Panasonic repair tech came to there house with the the long awaited part, it did not fix the problem. It's probablly costing Panasonic more money sending techs around multiple times then it would to just replace the set immediately.

Of course the delivery guy who brought this guys replacement tv obviously knew somthing was up...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse here, but always check the tv before the delivery guy leaves. I made the guy wait to look at the set before he left. The guy walks to my door with it over his shoulder by himself and sets it down. He gave me a puzzled look about me making him wait.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 /forum/post/19585448

Kind of disappointing to hear this but I don't expect much from any tv companies actually. Better to get a warranty from somewhere else like Square Trade.

Square Trade (and other EW companies) uses the same authorized Panasonic repair shops that Panasonic uses so the same sucky shop would have come to fix the TV, and the part still would have been on backorder anyway. One should always use the manufacturer's warranty during the first year so you get to keep the remainder of the warranty if they replace the set. With an EW, once they replace the set the warranty is considered fulfilled and ends with the old set.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Quote:

Your idea would work if not for the tiny little advent of serial numbers. You think you are the only person in the world who thought of such a scheme. Its called fraud, and it's illegal.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd write a nice letter addressed to Panasonic's legal department detailing your experience and stating your intent to take them to small claims court if they don't refund the purchase price of the unit immediately.

Make sure the letter is professional.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19585660

Square Trade (and other EW companies) uses the same authorized Panasonic repair shops that Panasonic uses so the same sucky shop would have come to fix the TV, and the part still would have been on backorder anyway. One should always use the manufacturer's warranty during the first year so you get to keep the remainder of the warranty if they replace the set. With an EW, once they replace the set the warranty is considered fulfilled and ends with the old set.

They probably would've given the full refund for the tv rather than make them wait for something on back order.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Quote:

Yes, it sounds terribly dishonest.

This is an unfortunate situation for the original poster. I can only imagine the frustration. It took me 3 tries to get a working G25 (only 2 months), but I have to admit that the effort was totally worthwhile. The picture makes me smile EVERY time I turn it on.

So, hang in there, realize that this truly is an unusual situation, and simply do what needs to be done to get the ball rolling and get that new TV headed in your direction as soon as possible. All the frustrations will melt away once you get a working model up and running

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allengambrell /forum/post/0

After a month of research I bought a 50" Panasonic G25 Plasma back in August from OneCall. The tv came in fine with the shock stickers ok and looked good.

About 14 days later it would not come on at all. When you pressed the power button the red light would just blink 10 times. So I called Panasonic tech support. I should have called OneCall because it was right at the end of the 15 days that have on returns, I think. So Panasonic says that they will get a service tech out to me on Tuesday, this was on Thursday.

So on Tuesday I have not heard from a service guy and call back and get the phone number of the service place. So I call them. They had yet to schedule the service call and it was already Tuesday, the day when Panasonic said they would come. So they schedule one for Thursday.

Then call me back a couple days later to say that the part is on BACKORDER
with no estimated date! So I call Panasonic and ask for them to ship me a new set, but they tell me that they will not do that and I have to wait for the part!

So I wait for the part from August till late October! I had to call the service place (Eletronic Services out of Penbrook, Ga) to find out that they had finally received the part the day before. So they come about 5 days later, but the part does not work! So they took the set back to their shop to work out the problems.

Mid November, Almost 2 weeks later after many phone calls they say that Panasonic is going to ship out a new set. Finally! But it seems like Panasonic was in no hurry to do so.

December 2nd, Today I just got the set. Looked like it was new in the box from Panasonic. The service guy who brought it seemed like he was in a big rush. He was even going to leave the set setting under my garage with out me there, but I told him to wait on me. So we carried the set inside and he left. I should have opened with him there, because tonight I opened it to hook up and the WHOLE SCREEN IS CRACKED!!!

So here I sit on DECEMBER 2nd still waiting to watch a Panasonic HDTV that I bought in AUGUST!!!

I cannot believe you would not wait for the guy to open the set with you?

·
Registered
19,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allengambrell /forum/post/19585346

December 2nd, Today I just got the set. Looked like it was new in the box from Panasonic. The service guy who brought it seemed like he was in a big rush.

he was trying to flee the scene of the crime...he probably knew he had damaged it on the trip over and was trying to get out of there as soon as possible so he wouldn't be held responsible

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
That's sad to hear about your plasma just contact panasonic be stearn but polite write down times and dates even record conversations.I know if you would have gotten with onecall before the the 15 days they would have taken very good care of you I bet even a few days after they would have helped.

On mine I was able to call within 12 hours Chad from onecall called panasonic on a 3 way and set everything up for me told me it wasn't fixed with this service call they would ship me another one.

Part was replaced on Tuesday no fix called Chad new one was shipped Wednesday night and he gave me a discount for my trouble.

Can't wait to get it and start the slides going to be another long 4 days.Put Avatar in just to look was amazing.Then sometime toward end of Janurary get it calibrated will be first tv to have this done to.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.