AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found information online re the differences (or lack thereof) between Panasonic's 42" plasma models, but can't find anything on the different 37" models that are available.

Does anyone know the differences between the TH-37PWD4 and the TH-37PWD5 models? Is the PWD5 a newer model? I've also seen a model number TH-37PWD5UZ--is this yet a third model?

Thanks for any info you may have.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
AFAIK, the 37" Panasonics are virtually identical to the 42" units except for screen size, and the differences between the "4's" and "5's" should be the same as they are for the 42" models - principally, 3:2 pulldown on the 5's.

Not sure what the "UZ" signifies, but I believe all the 5's are pretty much the same, regardless of suffix.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steuert for the response, and thanks Divvy for the link.

I'm less concerned about the "UZ" suffix, but if Steuert is right and Panasonic is following the same model designation conventions for 37" plasmas that it uses for 42" plasmas, then the "PWD5" model is a newer model with additional features and a different remote.

See http://www.*******************.com/p...uy-review.html

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The Wiley article is full of errors, as has been pointed out in several posts to this Forum. Most of the features he says are new for the 5's already existed in the 4's. Also, AFAIK, the remotes are identical.

However, there are probably a few new things and I would certainly want the latest model if I were buying today.

FWIW, the model number on my TV reads "TH-37PWD4UZ" but the instructions give the No. as "TH-37PWD4." Can't be much difference if the instructions are identical!

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what the "UZ" signifies
"It's Another Chapter on Panasonic's Crazy Number" :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the retail packages the (UY) and (UZ) letters are only in the box not on the display.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
Not sure what the "UZ" signifies
Maybe its the kind of connectors. UZs have RCA, UYs have BNC.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My CDW rep said he would match etronics price of $3,269 including shipping on the retail 37" version. I've been doing business with CDW for years, and they are pretty good at fixing problems if you have any.

If anyone is interested, send me a private post and I'll forward the reps e-mail and phone.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I paid $2860, delivered, for my 37PWD4, from Dell. I suspect you could get a price close to this for the 5's, when Dell gets them in stock. I bought during one of their periodic 10% off sales, and when I asked if there were any coupons available, the sales rep gave me another 10% off.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Maybe its the kind of connectors. UZs have RCA, UYs have BNC.
Hey barbja, I guess you've solved the mystery. :D

Panasonic uses UZ's for Consumer Displays (All with RCA connectors).

Industrial Models have UY's except the 37" Displays.

Well, on the Industrial's Plasma brochure the 37PWD5UZ is the only one with RCA connectors. ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...H-37PWD5UZ.pdf

The same goes to the TH-37PWD4UZ
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...H-37PWD4UZ.pdf

I've never paid attention to it. Thanks a lot !!!

Now just to confirm that...

Steuert, does your TH-37PWD4UZ comes with RCA Connectors???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
I paid $2860, delivered, for my 37PWD4, from Dell. I suspect you could get a price close to this for the 5's, when Dell gets them in stock. I bought during one of their periodic 10% off sales, and when I asked if there were any coupons available, the sales rep gave me another 10% off.
Steuert: Did that price include any stand or mount? Assuming not ??

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You are correct; no stand or mount. However, I fabricated a wall mount in about an hour from $15 worth of plywood and miscellaneous hardware, which has worked very well; you could probably do the same for a table stand. If you must have a factory-built wall mount, figure about $150 extra.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am a happy owner of a TH-37PWD4. I am currently building a HTPC and have some questions about the ideal components. I posted some of them on the HTPC forum, but got no replies (most of the guys there use CRT Projectors with their PCs).

I wonder if there is a big difference between the top of the line ATI cards (9800) and the more modest ones (9000, 9200, 7500). I use the panny mostly for video display (no games)

I'd also like to know what is the ideal resolution for this display. All ATI cards I've tried output typically at 800x600 or 1024x768 using the plasma monitor.

My HiPix HDTV tuner allows me to select the output resolution. Should I choose 480p (since that is supposed to be the Panny's native resolution) or should set it to a higher resolution and let the monitor do the pulldown.

I recently purchased a HOLO3DGRAPH PCI Video Processing Card (with SDI input) and I was considered purchasing a modified Panasonic X50 with SDI otuput, but I wonder if that is really worthy considering that I cannot go completely digital since the panny doesn't have a DVI input (just VGA for a HTPC)

Thanks,

Santiago

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by navarros
I am a happy owner of a TH-37PWD4. I am currently building a HTPC and have some questions about the ideal components. I posted some of them on the HTPC forum, but got no replies (most of the guys there use CRT Projectors with their PCs).

I wonder if there is a big difference between the top of the line ATI cards (9800) and the more modest ones (9000, 9200, 7500). I use the panny mostly for video display (no games)

I'd also like to know what is the ideal resolution for this display. All ATI cards I've tried output typically at 800x600 or 1024x768 using the plasma monitor.

My HiPix HDTV tuner allows me to select the output resolution. Should I choose 480p (since that is supposed to be the Panny's native resolution) or should set it to a higher resolution and let the monitor do the pulldown.

I recently purchased a HOLO3DGRAPH PCI Video Processing Card (with SDI input) and I was considered purchasing a modified Panasonic X50 with SDI otuput, but I wonder if that is really worthy considering that I cannot go completely digital since the panny doesn't have a DVI input (just VGA for a HTPC)

Thanks,

Santiago
Hmmmmm, I believe the res for that unit is 852x480, no? HTPC's generally, as a rule of thumb, do not impress unless the res is at least 800x600, IMHO. Even so, when the display gets a signal that is different than the NR of the display it will scale or downrez, depending on the signal. Which explains why you can watch a HD source like CBS on the 480p of the panny 37" and you can also watch regular cable on the panny which is less than 480i?

A DVI connection is said to be marginally better than the VGA connection.

Just my .02.:)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Perhaps a new add to the FAQ that says:

It is highly unlikely anything in the PlasmaTV Buying Guide is more accurate than what you'll find here. And, the biases there are far more pronounced.

Start here. Forget what "they" told you. Learn. Purchase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.