AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic plasma 42PX80U. It clips the picture (about 1inch from top/bottom each) all the time. This has become very irritating. I cant read bottom of screen in many PBS documentaries or subtitles in some movies. After a search on web, it seems that Pansonic overscales too much but this model does not provide any obvious way of turning that off.

Panasonic support has so far not been helpful (they seem to intentionally ignore the existence of this issue).

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworbuser /forum/post/16931013

I have a Panasonic plasma 42PX80U. It clips the picture (about 1inch from top/bottom each) all the time. This has become very irritating. I cant read bottom of screen in many PBS documentaries or subtitles in some movies. After a search on web, it seems that Pansonic overscales too much but this model does not provide any obvious way of turning that off. Panasonic support has so far not been helpful (they seem to intentionally ignore the existence of this issue).

It's impossible for a fixed-pixel display to clip the top and/or bottom of the picture as much as you say yours is doing. At most, it will have maybe 2-4% of overscan but that's not enough to clip one inch from the top or bottom.

If the TV is in FULL or JUST mode when this is happening, then this clipping problem has to be coming from your source(s) because it can't be the TV causing it. Does this happen on all channels and all sources? What sources are you using when you see this problem? Does it do it using the TV's internal tuner?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply but I have seen this problem from my Dishnet cable box; playing Bluray movies on LG-BD390 and streaming netflix movies from BD390. The problem is that on most channels/movies, the difference is tough to make out (how do I know the "original" picture; I have only one TV!). In some movies/programs (especially PBS documentaries), they have subtitles or something written right at bottom of screen which get clipped.

I have tried two BD390's and confirmed with other owners of BD390 with non-Panasonic TVs, that they are not facing the problem. I have tried connecting the TV directly without the Yamaha receiver; with/without HDMI. None of it helps. All this leads me to believe that the problem is the TV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.