AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I went shopping this weekend for a high def TV (LCD or Plasma). I did not want to spend too much so I was going to try to get a 42" TV for $600. When I went into Target they had the Panasonic TC-P50U1 on clearance for $999 (originally $1299) and on top of that they only had one left so they said that they would give me an additional %30 off. So, with that deal and a 50" TV for $700 dollars I bought it. I now see that the LG 42LH30 42" LCD (LG entry level) is on sale for 550 dollars. With the price/size difference all are probably equal that way. Can you guys tell me which TV would be better for watching TV and movies? Because of the deal (700 dollars for a TV you cannot find for under 1000) maybe the panasonic would be the better deal but I am more worried about having a great looking picture than I am saving the most money.

Do you guys think the LG LCD or the Panasonic plasma would give me a better picture? I currently enjoy the Panasonic much more than my previous LCD but that was a westinghouse so I don't think it was that it was an LCD, I think it was because it was a cheap one..

Thanks for the help..

Kevin

Edit: I have read the reviews for both TVs and neither are spectacular but neither are bad either.. I have done lot's of searching but after it all I am undecisive and would like some advice

·
Registered
26 Posts
The plasma TV is going to give a better picture than an entry level LCD.

Now if the choice was between a plasma and a high end local dimming LED TV, you would have a tougher choice.

I would stick with the 50" plasma.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Quit reading this site and be happy with what you have, it's a good TV. But there will always be a new set every month or so that you want more if you keep reading AVS. Some foolish people here are so obsessed that they trade TVs three times a year and still are never satisfied.

·
Registered
284 Posts
A 50" Panny for $700? You guys down there get some fine deals. Even with the exchange rate that's a great deal. I'm in Canada and the Samsung PN50B550 I just bought for $1100 is a great deal here. That's Canadian $$ and today that converts to $1051 US$$.

Why do our deals suck so bad as compared to yours?

The TC-P50U1 right now at a good local dealer's website is on special at $1398 and the Samsung 550 is on special at $1298.

In US dollars thats $1336 and $1241.

And you got it for $700? Damn.

And you're here wondering if you shoulda chose a LG LCD for even less?? Are you nuts?

Hopefully you guys appreciate those deals you get down there!

But then again, I guess our houses are still worth something....for now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in the market for a BIG SCREEN PLASMA after seeing my buddy's 50" Panasonic Plasma S14 in action, which nearly melted my brain upon witnessing it display high-definition blu-ray. (I currently have 2 LCD televisions) --Hope I'm not too late, with the 2009 models going out and the 2010 models coming in.

Sounds like he got a sweet deal. I'm actually considering a "display" model, either a Panasonic G10 or Samsung 550 Series. (A Panasonic S1 is another option, though these are ALL display models, unfortunately.)

Now that the 2009 models are at the right price and I'm ready to buy, it appears that I'm too late. But if I resist settling for a "display" model, I'll keep an eye on the future 2010 plasmas from both Panasonic and Samsung.

Just give me a great price/picture at 50" or larger, while more energy efficient. (I don't care about the internet connection and 3D at home.) The picture of plasma has already won me over.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If the display models have been broken in using full screen content they are probably fine, as long as they look OK.

Avoid like the plague any that have been running letterbox bluray content for months.

Get a Mack warranty, just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.