AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I stated previously in the black level doubling thread that I thought someone should compile a list of Panasonic owners with the black level problem, their measurements where available, and measurements from owners who believe they don't have the problem. As no one else has stepped up to the plate, I'll offer to do this myself. Any model Panasonic G11 (2008), G12 (2009), G13 (2010) are welcome, but also older Panasonic plasma measurements would be appreciated as well for way of comparison.
  • Anyone who owns any Panasonic plasma of any year, please PM me your measurements (model, manufacture date, hours - give me the measurements at as many hour intervals that you have available, black level, device used to measure, and whether you have the infinite black problem) regardless of whether or not you think you have the black level problem.
  • PM me if you have the black level problem, but are unable to take the measurements yourself. I will compile a list to facilitate other members helping each other out to measure their black levels.
  • If you are in a position to have concrete knowledge about how black level works, the nature of the black level issue, etc... please PM me the information as you want it posted for easier reference to answer people's questions. I will not post speculation or opinion in this thread so please back up where you got your information from. If you don't want sources posted publicly that is fine, however I do need to know that the information I am updating this thread with is in fact valid and legitimate.
  • Anyone who has an understanding of lighting environments, please PM me what translates to perceived black in at various lighting levels. I want numbers for black level as it compares with lighting levels. Also please provide examples to make it clearer conceptually what different lighting levels typically equate to in terms of light source, direction, distance, etc... This section will be intended to provide a clearer understanding to people who have the problem how to adjust their lighting environment to eliminate or at least diminish the effect of raised black levels.

As I final note, the reason I am doing this is because it appears there are several different camps as regards to the "black level issue" - those who have it who do or don't care, those who think/don't have it, those who think all Panasonic plasmas have the issue, those that think it's people's fickle imaginations, and those who like to bash plasma and/or LCD.

My hope is that this thread and by keeping it up-to-date with any information other users would be kind enough to provide me and give me permission to repost (again please PM me the info especially if this thread gets cluttered) will allow a clearer understanding of the black level problem, how widespread it is, and either put to rest those people going on a Panasonic-bashing frenzy or alternatively prove them correct through the numbers, and more importantly to allow owners who have the black level problem to have some hard numbers to back up their claims for what the issue is and to try and get some movement from Panasonic to provide a permanent fix for it by providing a clearer indication of the symptoms. I hope to keep the information in this thread free from speculation, listing only known facts (not theories), and concrete measurements.

· Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reserved 2

How black level works in plasma generally, in Panasonic plasmas, and the nature of the rising black level issue. Will be updated when I have received accurate, non-speculate information to post here.

· Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reserved 3

Understanding lighting environments and how they pertain to black level. How those affected by it can get the most enjoyment out of their plasmas. Will be updated when I've received information to go here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.